Curtains open or closed

Currently being battered by the wind, took the sensible option of pulling over briefly, wind dragging me from lane one out into lane 2 due to not having a great deal of weight on, does anyone recommend tying open curtains with load securely strapped?

Very inexperienced here, so take with a pinch of salt!

I would say leave the curtains shut. They are there to protect the load from the weather. If you can’t drive safely with them closed, you can’t drive yet until the wind dies down a bit more.

I’d probably phone the office too, let them know I’d pulled over to wait it out.

Anyway, it’s a couple of hours later by now so hopefully you got it sorted and aren’t having an unscheduled lie down half way down the motorway. :laughing: :open_mouth:

I would never have the curtains open when loaded even if I was being blown about. A lot of trailer companies either flat out don’t recommend it or at least advise at own risk. Best bet is to do the curtains up as tight as possible and take it easy. If it takes too bad, pull in to the nearest services and wait. If you’re boss calls, tell him whats what. If he complains then he can come and pick up all the stuff when the truck goes over.

I pretty much agree with what Radar19 said, you’re the one being battered by wind it has to be your decision as to whether or not to continue driving.

This isn’t a question to be asking in the new drivers forum so I’ll move it to the PDF :wink:

If you’re satisfied the load is secure and won’t be damaged in the process then it’s worth doing. So is keeping your speed down and being aware of exposed areas. Call the office and get their opinion (arse covering!).

We had this question years ago and contacted the manufacturers. They said don’t do it. Bodies wull be less rigid. If the wind geys understanding the roi it could lift the roof sheet off. (its often glued on). Wind under the roof could even lift am empty vehicle up enough to tip it over. The roof is a very large surface area and even a wind at an acute angle will give a big force.

Sent from my GT-S7275R using Tapatalk

Franglais:
We had this question years ago and contacted the manufacturers. They said don’t do it. Bodies wull be less rigid. If the wind geys understanding the roi it could lift the roof sheet off. (its often glued on). Wind under the roof could even lift am empty vehicle up enough to tip it over. The roof is a very large surface area and even a wind at an acute angle will give a big force.

And if you hunt around you’ll find advice to contradict that. I’d strap the back doors open too .

TiredAndEmotional:

Franglais:

And if you hunt around you’ll find advice to contradict that. I’d strap the back doors open too .

You can find anything on the Internet tis true.

Franglais:

Tuckert92:
Currently being battered by the wind, took the sensible option of pulling over briefly, wind dragging me from lane one out into lane 2 due to not having a great deal of weight on, does anyone recommend tying open curtains with load securely strapped?

stop being a fanny and crack on along with everyone else…keep them shut then its not your fault.and depending on who you work for,pass the buck with your concern and let them tell you what to do as that seems to be the way it works for some nowadays…ive been blown all over the place as far as 1 side of the trailer being well up,definately makes the trip less boring.

I personally wouldn’t run with the curtains tied back as I’ve seen too many trailers with the roof peeled back because of this. That’s not to say that opening them is wrong, just that I personally wouldn’t do it. If I felt that it was too windy to safely continue then I’d merely find a sheltered spot and park up. Then again I’m never in a hurry and I’m hourly paid, so any bunk time on pay is a bonus to me :wink:

With a fixed roof I’d probably keep the curtains closed. Sliding roof i’d open them. Roof open, doors open.

dieseldog999:
ive been blown all over the place as far as 1 side of the trailer being well up,definately makes the trip less boring.

It was fine in the end, that m62 is cruel in the wind, was alot less boring than usual, better than a fast track at alton towers haha

Thankyou for all advice

Curtains open or closed?
That depends on who might be able to see in through the windows, or if the lights are on or off, and I’m getting blown all over :stuck_out_tongue:

peirre:
Curtains open or closed?
That depends on who might be able to see in through the windows, or if the lights are on or off, and I’m getting blown all over :stuck_out_tongue:

You’re a very naughty boy! :laughing:

Curtains shut every time.use the ratchets tight as you can then use the straps the same,wouldn’t tie them back as said before trucks aren’t as strong nowadays and as Moaster said roofs peeled back isn’t good in any way.
If you think it’s not safe STOP simples,stuff can get delivered tomorrow being blown over being the hero isn’t getting stuff delivered and more importantly your safety comes first over any job anyday.

Here you are…

fta.co.uk/policy_and_complia … _tips.html

We run old tilts and its a while since i pulled a curtain sider but what i found was the strength of one make of trailer will vary to the next, generally the older the stronger they are. If you find the roof bolted and riveted with three to four central posts chances are running with curtains open will be fine, its only newer ones with weight saving in mind where the roof could actually be glued/bonded on that could cause problems. Will also be load dependant, without stating the obvious, running with open curtains in a gale with lashing rain carrying soap powder will be a no no… :grimacing:

I have driven in high winds here in the uk and abroad trl wheels lifting of the ground nothing to be proud of but remember at the end of the day the decision is yours
you are in charge of the vehicle and if any thing goes wrong its all down to you.
yes by all means ring the boss tell him what is going on all he wants is the load delivered and his truck safe

THE DECISION IS YOURS!

PC plod would say if in doubt don’t do it a day is only 24 hours long and then your onto the next one.