Curtain side trailers

Always had box trailer work going to an curtain sider job. Are they hard to do as never done any curtains before.Thanks

You have to fasten stuff down. It is a flat with plastic sides and a roof.

you dont always have to fasten stuff down, depends what your carrying and what type of curtains the trailer has, some are reinforced with webbing. We load 21 pallets weighing almost a ton and a half each with no straps! (bigger than 48X40 GKN)

We have Schmitz Cargobull trailers with Flexos curtains.
You can open them from either end.
At the back they have a small winding handle on a gearbox, to open from here just release curtain tension by winding the handle. It’ll only go one way because the tension will stop it turning far the other way.
Use this to set the tension for the whole curtain.

At the front there is only a lever.

Releasing the lever lets the tension out of the curtain, if you haven’t already.

Release 2 or 3 of the buckles so that you have enough slack to lift the post off the peg.

Release the buckles by pressing the catch in.

When you come to closing up, on these trailer, the hook should just slide underneath the trailer edge. Don’t put any more tension onto the strap or you over stretch the curtains.
Make sure the lever is fully open, then put the curtain post onto the peg…

Before closing it up.

Do this end first if you’ve opened up the curtain completely.
Then set the tension in the curtain, from the gearbox at the rear of the trailer.
There is no need to touch the gearbox if you’re only opening or closing the front end of your trailer
Lastly do up all the buckles

simon is it no about time that trailer had a wash :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

If you don’t take the tension off and undo all the buckles, the front lever can give you a nice smack on the knuckles …
:blush:

Depends who did it up of course.

i always do up my curtains really tight… as you beat a pair of tight curtains. :wink:

My earlier reply wasn’t facetious. It was just made to point out that not all curtainsiders are load bearing and you should know the difference.

Some curtainsiders have a central roof rail with straps attached but many dont so you need to strap pallets like you would on a flat trailer

Bulkliners are designed to load 25 ton of bulk and the curtains hold the load in. Some have extra straps in the curtains and some have alloy planks moulded into the pvc.

Some however are PVC curtains hung on a rail atached to each end of the trailer with 5 or 6 bolts. That can hardly hold 25 ton of double stacked pallets of cans or bottles

Wheel Nut:
Some however are PVC curtains hung on a rail atached to each end of the trailer with 5 or 6 bolts. That can hardly hold 25 ton of double stacked pallets of cans or bottles

i agree with malc… never rely on the curtains to hold you load in. :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

always carry ratchet straps