Curtain Side - Load Straps

Hi,

I have ‘trawled’ the forum and have found many topics regarding the use of the internal load straps. When i have used these straps before i have always used them in a diagonal pattern, in particular the last pallets to pull then tight towards the headboard, this works well for large stacked pallets, however, for a single pallet, of items that are not very high this proved to be inaffective.

Are there any diagrams, examples, video clips, or just general info on how these straps should be used to ensure Mr Vosa is happy!!!

In the past i have worked for a company where my truck was loaded by the night shift, however the internal straps were never used, which meant extra time climbing over the loaded stores to make them secure.

Any advice would be very much appreciated.

Cheers

J

If your last pallets are only small, come down the back of them with the strap, then go under the pallet at the side of the centre wooden block and fish the straps out of the side, pulling it towards the front and anchor it on a hook under the edge of the trailer. :slight_smile:

Great info!

Cheers

J

Rob K:
If your last pallets are only small, come down the back of them with the strap, then go under the pallet at the side of the centre wooden block and fish the straps out of the side, pulling it towards the front and anchor it on a hook under the edge of the trailer. :slight_smile:

Best bit of kit you can buy, beg, steal, borrow, purloin or make; is a wire hook, something like a shepherds crook or a piece of bent rebar to poke straps through pallets or retrieve them. I learnt the hard way when we were carrying pallets of glass and you stick your bare arm between the pallet to feed the strap through.

You can also use the bar to pull a pallet to the back of the trailer, it saves ■■■■■■■ a palletiser on the back or opening your curtains for one pallet. Some H&S men might frown a little though :stuck_out_tongue:

rear pallets should be strapped even though its a pain if you have a bay delivery, as rob said is the best and common way i always feed it through the the rear of the pallet out through the side pull towards front of trailer couple of feet hook up and tighten, i adjust my rear straps so there longer than the rest saves me doing it later on, these always stay out and left at the rear of trailer for convenience i also use same system for double stacked pallets its a little xtra time but better than handball a spilt pallet

Stand with a strap from each side of the trailer. Cross them over so they’re in an x shape, then take one side and fold it over the middle. You can now adjust which position the knot will be and position it bang in the middle of the pallet to make it pretty secure. Hard to describe but easy to do. Basically the left strap hooks on to the left of the trailer and the right hooks to the right rather than opposite if you were just normally cross strapping

Steve-o:
Stand with a strap from each side of the trailer. Cross them over so they’re in an x shape, then take one side and fold it over the middle. You can now adjust which position the knot will be and position it bang in the middle of the pallet to make it pretty secure. Hard to describe but easy to do. Basically the left strap hooks on to the left of the trailer and the right hooks to the right rather than opposite if you were just normally cross strapping

You know, I tried doing that once having seen someone else do it, but I couldn’t for the life of me figure out how to do it. All that happened when I pulled them taught was the cross just moved upwards until it’s ‘natural’ cross over point. I couldn’t get it to stay low down. :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

Going off on a tangent, another thing that all drivers would do well to remember is to PULL THE LOOSE STRAPS OFF THE TRAILER BED or STASH THEM AWAY IN THEIR HOLDERS PROPERLY BEFORE THE FLT OR PALLET TRUCKS GET ANYWHERE NEAR YOUR TRAILER !! :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: If I’d had a pound for everytime I’ve seen a flattened/bent strap hook or handle, I would be a millionaire by now. It’s not hard to pull the [zb]ers out of the way is it ffs.

Rob K:

Steve-o:

You know, I tried doing that once having seen someone else do it, but I couldn’t for the life of me figure out how to do it. All that happened when I pulled them taught was the cross just moved upwards until it’s ‘natural’ cross over point. I couldn’t get it to stay low down. :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

Going off on a tangent, another thing that all drivers would do well to remember is to PULL THE LOOSE STRAPS OFF THE TRAILER BED or STASH THEM AWAY IN THEIR HOLDERS PROPERLY BEFORE THE FLT OR PALLET TRUCKS GET ANYWHERE NEAR YOUR TRAILER !! :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: If I’d had a pound for everytime I’ve seen a flattened/bent strap hook or handle, I would be a millionaire by now. It’s not hard to pull the [zb]ers out of the way is it ffs.

Nothing worse than going to shut the back doors and the ■■■■■■ forkie has jammed them all in between pallets. Once I had the roof rail bent down because of both the gimp driver that left them on the floor and the don’t give a toss forkie.

P.S. The strap method I mentioned is a million times better than simple cross strapping as you can get the two straps MEGA tight. I love a good tight one so I do :laughing:

Steve-o:

Rob K:

Steve-o:

Nothing worse than going to shut the back doors and the ■■■■■■ forkie has jammed them all in between pallets. Once I had the roof rail bent down because of both the gimp driver that left them on the floor and the don’t give a toss forkie.

P.S. The strap method I mentioned is a million times better than simple cross strapping as you can get the two straps MEGA tight. I love a good tight one so I do :laughing:

not many tight ones left up in glasgow ahe ste :wink:

if youre not happy with internal straps tell youre boss you want ratchets.
an if youre not happy with a pallet tell them to take it off .
tell youre boss why it aint going,the laws against them now.
stand youre ground.

Great info guys from you all, many thanks.

Cheers

J