Current Volvo FH vs Actros MP4

Hi all,

A mate of mine has a choice for a new truck on lease - a current Volvo FH XL (volvo are doing some good deals on these) or a Merc Actros MP4.

Both will be 6x2, automatic.

Which would be better in terms of driver comfort (tramping), storage etc, and also gearbox / engine wise.

comfort, space and storage, Merc

transmission, Volvo

that said, i have not actually driven either of them, i have been told by many people that the I-shift is the box to beat

I’d pretty much agree with Shuttlespanker,

But to be honest both trucks would be a decent place to be if tramping, so I’d just go for the best deal.

Engine and box wise I prefer the Volvo, interior room wise the Merc has loads of space but the FH has the cupboards above the bed where as our Merc’s dont so there is more storeage in our Volvo’s too.

One big negative point for me would be the stupid bloody electronic key on the Merc that enables the immobiliser if you have left the ignition on while the engine is off and is a right PITA, give me the keyed ignition on the Volvo any day.

Which cabin Globetrotter/XL or Streamspace/Gigaspace?

Volvo’s I-Shift hasn’t been beaten by anybody, and the engine is stronger.

Fuel economy speaks for the MP4. At least here up north with 60ton masses. (2551 versus FH520. 2-3litres/100km in favor for the merc.

Living space goes to merc.(if wide cab)
Storage is 50/50

for me id choose the volvo the merc is nice n big but to be honest overall after a week in one i was not that impressed apart from the layout of the cab
after a week in the volvo dispite the cab being smaller i was very cozy and would happly tramp in a volvo any day of the week :sunglasses:

I’m sorry I’d say the merc but I like Mercs Volvo good gearbox but the sloping screen is horrid but volvos also have a larger fuel tank and good on ad blue merc decent cab lots of external storage good engine let down for ad blue usage I use a mp3 on general haulage and boxes average mid 8 mpg @ 44 ton

currently driving a 59 plate fh 460 and can honestly say the i shift is a dream to use cab has plenty of room and storage for tramping it is a comfortable drive the veb is excellent the only thing i could criticise the volvo on is the bunk needs to be a lot firmer just to soft , butr over all an excellent vehicle

Not impressed with the bunk in the MP4. The top bunk in the previous merc was always a winner. I’d go with the Volvo for all round. I’m no techno-phobe but can’t help but feel the MP4 is too over complicated with regards to electronics.