Cumbria companies

Here’s a few shots I took at Geoffrey Atkinson’s yard in Brough a few years ago:-

Here’s an F10 from the fleet of R.J.& I Monkhouse Ltd, Longtown at Forton Services in 1998:-

On a wet day in Lymm Services in 1998, Lawson’s of Cockermouth called in with this 112:-

Surely there must be some photos of Tyson H Burridge motors about, did they run some oddballs or what?

Hello,its about time I stuck my 3 pennath in :laughing:

This old 88 was taken many moons ago,yes its ■■■■■■■■ registered but was Burnholme a company from ■■■■■■■ :question: :laughing:

Cheers Bubbs. :wink:

G’day,
yep good to see another county thread coming along. I had a look but I haven’t many pics to offer,but I found this one,even though it says Devon Valley Industries on the door,I think it worked out of a paper mill near Exeter. Taken in Tiverton Devon 1990.

Cheers Jamie

Quite agree with Jamie, nice to see different County threads with the various firms, would be nice to see threads for all the Counties or regions of the UK on here.
Cheers Dave.

bubbleman:
This old 88 was taken many moons ago,yes its ■■■■■■■■ registered but was Burnholme a company from ■■■■■■■ :question: :laughing:

Too true it was Bubbsy. Burnholme Transport was based in Penrith. on Gilwilly Industrial Estate (certainly when I drove for them in the mid-7o,s) They ran a fleet that could truly be called “mixed”. Lots of per-owned F86 Volvos and Scanias mainly.
The one pictured above was driven by “HAT” Thoele, Otherwise known as “Musketeer” on CB. Now a top penpusher at Travis Perkins in Penrith. They had another F88 which must have been one of the first in the uk.TBB15G was it,s registration.(a Geordie Reg). It,s regular pilot was Trevor Atki…(come on Bubbs dig deep find some more.). They were a great firm to work for . Harry Dixon the gaffer was one of the real old time bosses. Calling a spade a spade wasn,t in it. His sons Dennis and Raymond, and Daughter Joan, ran the office.The head fitter was “Big Jim”, whose speciality was fixing most problems with a big sledgehammer.His assistant was John Hodgson :laughing: :laughing: They ran about 30 waggons at one time, but over the years it has reduced to just one or two motors maybe still being run by Raymond Dixon. We used to suffer quite a few breakdowns during my time there. In the early days of CB,s it got the less than flattering soubriquet of “Fawlty Towers”.But all the lads were great to work with. We loaded steel out of all the Scottish Steel mills, to all points South, East, and West, and got return loads of Steel from all the Southern steel mills ,(Ebbw Vale, Shotton, Scunny etc.) plus whatever else was available from wherever, back to wherever. Great days, with a great firm, and no bad memories of my time with them. It also is fair to say that if you could hack it with Burnholme Transport you could hack it with anyone else.Robbo. :laughing: :laughing:

ps.stavalger will be getting the full sp on the Hudson 8wheeler breakdown vehicle tomorrow. theguy who who drove it when he was at Hudson,s has an interesting knowledge of it. Right up to date.
nzjamie might also get some info on the Bewick/Devon Valley Ind. Scanny as well. Chris also drove for them.
He,s paying a visit tomorrow.

I saw this one at a small gathering in Euturia, Stoke-on-Trent a few years ago:-

Hi,
Not sure if they had a Dennison, but they did have a spanish type Dodge, 300, after the cab had got beyond patching up, due to the tin worm, they manufactured there own replacement cab, which if i remember rightly , looked a lot like a Dennison.
Jerry

stravaiger:
Some pics from all the usual sources and all the usual conditions.
Getting a head of steam now lads.

Scania142, Remember what Greenock comedian Chic Murry had to say " Aye, It’s a small world.
Still wouldn’t want to have to paint it though " :laughing:

These first two of Tyson Burridge are now in presevation. Would love to see some at work.
Didn’t they have an Irish built Dennison?

removed

removed

removed

removed

removed

removed

removed

And finally for the mo one from Peter Davies “British Trucks At Work”

removed

Heres my ■■■■■■■■ bubble

Followed by this Volvo f88 290hp pity you could not stop them(useless brakes)

Then i got a scania 110 a real machine well before its time

After that i got the Scania 111 a good workhorse.

The next truck was a 113 topline we had the largest fleet of toplines in the UK for a while

Yard full of toplines

Then on to another ■■■■■■■■ firm as i have been everwhere in Europe so i needed to go further :open_mouth:

Then this was the last of the ■■■■■■■■ firms i have been Scottish ever since

Dont know why but this did,nt work the first time :question: :question:

Heres my ■■■■■■■■ bubble

Followed by this Volvo f88 290hp pity you could not stop them(useless brakes)

Then i got a scania 110 a real machine well before its time

After that i got the Scania 111 a good workhorse.

Further to my post Yesterday, and my comments about the Hudson,s Breakdown vehicle, HSU 364 pictured above. Here,s some up-to-date info from a man who drove it,at Hudson,s; and in his own words.

This vehicle is an AEC Mammoth Major.MkV. I believe that it was first owned by Russell of Bathgate. It then passed to Nelsons of Arnside. Hudsons bought it off Nelsons, and converted it for Recovery Work, in the 1970,s.The cab was replaced with a Leyland cab, in the early 1980,s It does not have it,s original registration number,which got" lost" when Hudsons first used it on Trade Plates. It is now owned by a former Hudson,s employee, living in ■■■■■■■■

With regard to Scanny D868SBG. This vehicle was operated by Bewick Transport, from Milnthorpe in ■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■ main customer was Henry Cooke Paper, of Beethan, near Milnthorpe. Henry Cooke was part of the Bibby Empire. Bibby,s bought the Wiggins Teape Paper Mill at Hele, between Collumpton and Exeter., and asked Bewicks to do the transport. They had about 5 vehicles based at Hele. All of them Scanias.

All that info was out of his memory. :cry: :cry: Sad or What?? Just joking Chris.

I hope that this additional info is of interest to “stravaiger”, and to “NZ Jamie”. and Others.

PS. As usual a good post Klunk. I,ve sent you a pm asking about a former workmate who I think you will know. Desperate Dan. (RIP)

Indeed a Dennison

No pics but what about croppers of kendal.

Anybody remember Willie Irving o/d from Cockermouth he had a green&red Commer Maxiload subbed of Tyson Burridge and after giving up his motor I think he took a job as a shunter with Robson’s of Carlisle.
Regarding Tyson’s Dennison’s was there not a Dodge Barrerios recabed with a Dennison cab I’m sure I heard that or read about it somewhere.
Eddie.

bedgar047:
Indeed a Dennison

I think thats the home-made cab i was on about, based on a dodge chassis, not a Dennison.
Jerry

That is correct Jim. According to my man anyway, and he usually knows what he is on about. He was a fitter/driver with Hudsons in the early 1970,s. He said that when it first arrived at Hudsons ,it had a wooden cab. :confused: :confused: Then it got the Leyland one fitted. It has been retired for a number of years. He started to tell me how many sprockets it had on the flywheel; I think he must have stopped when he realised that I had fallen asleep. :laughing: :laughing: