Cumbria companies

hodgeturbo:

So was this your first motor Paul ? Did the GF give you a bollocking for parking in fron’t of the sign for your “brew” :wink: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: Cheers Dennis.

And no Gerald that’s not me stood in the doorway of Mains Hall !

Bewick:

hodgeturbo:

So was this your first motor Paul ? Did the GF give you a bollocking for parking in fron’t of the sign for your “brew” :wink: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: Cheers Dennis.

No it’s a photo we found in a filing cabinet at Eskett Quarry.My first driving job was with Peter Greggains

That’s my first wagon DAT415T

Then I got this 281 MAN on distance work made a bed behind the seats out of bits of wood.i had just loaded coal at Liverpool Dock for Leadhills in Scotland in that photo

image.jpeg

Hi Dennis I did not think it was you the buildings have had a face lift since this was taken plus there isn’t a Trader or Beaver parked across the top of the square. Every year on fathers day in August I used to drive my coach up that lane as near to the W. I. hall door as possible to unload the village and district over 60s group who had been out on an afternoon trip, the best bit being the tea set out in the hall by the local ladies and it certainly was a good tea all home made baking along with loads of various sandwiches and a good crack round the table. After Mrs Strickland had given her vote of thanks to all involved in the organisation (I was always included) I would then load all those frae bottom end of the village, Bowten Yet and Patten Foot taking them home and on home myself. This was a date I always looked forward to and was sponsored by the village hauliers. Unfortunately an awful lot of these folks have passed on now.
Cheers, Leyland 600

Thanks for the gen Gerald very interesting ! Particularly as the Hall was attached to Mains Hall and it belonged to my maternal Grand parents who were the last village Blacksmiths in Ireby. When my grand parents retired in the mid 50’s and went to live at Whent cottage further down the main St., which was owned by my parents they then bought Mains Hall from my G/Parents and we moved in from where we lived in the house next door to Whent cottage. I believe , but am not definitely sure , that it was then that the W I bought the Hall from either my Grandparents or possibly my Parents ! It sounds like the trip you did every year from Ireby was very enjoyable which you no doubt looked forward to especially the wonderful home made food ! Cheers Dennis.

Dennis, here is a photograph I took a few years ago at Ireby showing RW’s Volvo returning to the yard en route from Guildford to Falkirk with a couple of chassis. Squeezing through the Whent one Saturday afternoon.
Cheers, Leyland 600.

Hiya Gerald, great photo of our mutual Hero fra’ Ireby ! He had to gan canny to git through theer eh! But CMS Deckers in years gone by en route to Keswick used to pop through but I suppose they were probably a smigin narrower ! The white washed property on the left was where the Blacksmiths shop was and Mains Hall its self is alongside the Star Mans motor. However I have to question the validity of the caption, that wasn’t The Whent, the “top Whent” as it was termed ran down alongside the Globe Hall down to Ireby Mill and the "bottom Whent " ran down opposite the T’penna road end which was another narrow bit between Mumbersons and the farm buildings on the opposite side. We have to accurate Gerald ! :wink: Cheers Dennis.

Dennis they all went somewhere, Uldale, High Ireby, and Ruthwaite. The ■■■■■■■■■■ deckers were 8ft 2.5 ins wide and no problem just a case of lining up before entering… This was Alec’s motor.
Cheers, Leyland 600

Leyland600:
Dennis, here is a photograph I took a few years ago at Ireby showing RW’s Volvo returning to the yard en route from Guildford to Falkirk with a couple of chassis. Squeezing through the Whent one Saturday afternoon.
Cheers, Leyland 600.

go through there quite regular , and I will admit the first time was a bit of a WTF did I come this way for ? moment :slight_smile:
RE bottom whent , are you referring to the entrance to Tolsons yard ? once ended up there having taken directions from tre-penna with the assurance it was plenty big enough . just pleased I never met anything coming the other way :slight_smile:

Leyland600:
Dennis they all went somewhere, Uldale, High Ireby, and Ruthwaite. The ■■■■■■■■■■ deckers were 8ft 2.5 ins wide and no problem just a case of lining up before entering… This was Alec’s motor.
Cheers, Leyland 600

Looks like it was a hard worked motor Gerald ! in need of a good wash so I wonder if AHB took it “Doon the Whent” and backed it into the Ellen on the ford ramp opposite Ireby Mill :blush: Well that’s where we washed the containers out in the 50’s eh! :blush: All the sawdust and ■■■■■ went straight down the beck and would end up in Maryport harbour likely. You’d get locked up nowadays for doing that eh! Cheers Dennis. Oh! and there is a variation on the term “Whent” as around Appleby and into Yorkshire it is spelt “Wient” or “Weint”.

syramax:

Leyland600:
Cheers, Leyland 600.

go through there quite regular , and I will admit the first time was a bit of a WTF did I come this way for ? moment :slight_smile:
RE bottom whent , are you referring to the entrance to Tolsons yard ? once ended up there having taken directions from tre-penna with the assurance it was plenty big enough . just pleased I never met anything coming the other way :slight_smile:

The bottom Whent in Ireby is down from the cross roads lower down the village where there is a sign post on the green, don’t know about Tolsons yard been close by, but I think it is at Lilac House where an Aunt and Uncle used to live in the 50’s. Cheers Bewick.

Do you mean the junction half way down on the right before coming to the church, this goes down over the Ellen then up past Lyndraw and The Guards farm (Johny Little and his fell pownies) up past Daleside and out onto Caldbeck Common, a long drag with a loaded wagon when first setting off on a long distance journey.?
Cheers Leyland 600

Leyland600:
Do you mean the junction half way down on the right before coming to the church, this goes down over the Ellen then up past Lyndraw and The Guards farm (Johny Little and his fell pownies) up past Daleside and out onto Caldbeck Common, a long drag with a loaded wagon when first setting off on a long distance journey.?
Cheers Leyland 600

Aye Gerald that’s the road. Cheers Dennis.

0c14468e5132608068a2cdfc778d46f5.jpg
Not my pic

f66bd5ffd6965ac989f94b8490bb8e71.jpg
Not my pic

coomsey:
Not my pic

Harry Fearon of H & ME Fearon.

coomsey:
Not my pic

That is obviously a late 40’s early 50’s shot going by the reg. no. In the mid late 60’s their was a chap called Jack Ridley who lived in Mint St off Shap rd. in Kendal and he drove a Shap Granite 308 Dodge 6 wheeler dropside which he used to park up on the Mintsfeet Ind. Estate every night, always loaded with big pipes or sometime kerbs or flags for delivery into Lancs. Not just sure which engine the Dodge had but it was probably a Leyland. I think this Dodge would be about the last motor of their own that they ran and Jack was no “spring chicken” by this time either. Cheers Bewick.

Brathy Quarry Ambleside