Culina

Hi all.
I currently do night trunking for a pallet distribution company, and i am now looking into getting a day job as i am fed up with nights. I have heard a few good things on the grapevine about Culina… Does anyone have any info at all about them as a company in general and more specifically the Avonmouth/Bristol depot. Thanks in advance.

4 on 2 off .
Just short of £31k
Good kit.
As a day driver you can be tasked longer hours where as a night driver you’ll be maxed to 12hrs.
There is the possibility that you’ll get caught for a night out. Or tasked a night out not that it happens much.
A day driver will have more deliverys than a night driver,
Depending on the rota your on ie 15:00 to 18:00 you could be doing more collections
Than trunking.
With the start window 15:00 to 18:00 that can be pushed from 14:00 to 19:00 but they normally work you to a 12 hrs off so it’ll keep you around the rota window.

Company pension and uniform.
Down side

No sick pay,
A bit ainal on the driving standards.
It’s the Culina way or no way.
They won’t have you breaking ANY REGULATIONS including speed limits, everything is tracked which if you think about it means if you can’t get to a drop because you need a break then you take your break, all they ask is to be kept informed.
Nights is easier .

I worked there for nearly 7 yrs and Nick has summed it up about right, just to add its salaried for a 48 hr week any overtime on your day off and you might have to work Boxing Day, otherwise good clean work, I worked days and averaged between 10 and 11 hr days and rarely went over 12 .

A downside is they won’t have you break the law?

How is that a downside?

Steve-o:

How is that a downside?

I’m sure he meant accidentally.

Steve-o:

How is that a downside?

Sorry Steve I ment the bit ainal being the downside. They pick you up on everything.
In all honesty I really like the job.
People are friendly and most will give you a hand if your not sure about things

nick2008:

Steve-o:

How is that a downside?

Sorry Steve I ment the bit ainal being the downside. They pick you up on everything.
In all honesty I really like the job.
People are friendly and most will give you a hand if your not sure about things

Basically it suits someone who quietly goes about their work and is good at keeping their head down . :wink:

Thanks for the replys guys, its seems pretty good. all i have done since passing my class 1 about a year ago is night trunk work, so looking for a new challenge… I will have to start browsing the sat nav forums now as i have never needed one for trunk runs! :smiley:

Just seen the banner out for Muller dairy looking for C&E drivers

BristolTruck3r:
Thanks for the replys guys, its seems pretty good. all i have done since passing my class 1 about a year ago is night trunk work, so looking for a new challenge… I will have to start browsing the sat nav forums now as i have never needed one for trunk runs! :smiley:

Most trunk runs you won’t need one as the trunks are basic depot to depot with an RDC on the back end

Just a little update… if anyone is interested.
Hello,

Further to your recent application for C+E (class 1 ) position with us I would like to invite you for an interview and assessment.

These take place most days at 11.00am subject to availability.

Positions currently available are;

4/2 shift pattern & start times available at present are 18.00 - 21.00, 21:00- 00.00 & 00.00 -03.00 (this may be subject to change)

Nights out required.

Looks absolutely ■■■■■ from whichever way I try to see a positive :laughing:

Yep, I agree. Working weekends and also the fact that there are 60 ’ 6 day weeks ’ in a year means that compared to a conventional 7 day week, you will effectively be working more than your 48 hour week.

So rotating shifts with crap start times with fifty odd hours per week and nights out for 30k. No thanks.

eagerbeaver:
Yep, I agree. Working weekends and also the fact that there are 60 ’ 6 day weeks ’ in a year means that compared to a conventional 7 day week, you will effectively be working more than your 48 hour week.

So rotating shifts with crap start times with fifty odd hours per week and nights out for 30k. No thanks.

Didn’t realise they’ve had a pay cut since I left.

Why not contact them and say you are interested in the job but could they offer a different shift pattern. Nothing to lose by showing a bit of initiative! I’m pretty sure they have other shifts. At Drayton they do various, 5/2, 5/3, 4/4 all sorts of combinations.

Unless my memory has failed me that pretty standard chilled hours , early starts , 24/7 working , and I always remember it as a good job , easy work , though the midnight starts took there toll , well not so much when it was a 8 hr stock run , but it was hard work when you know who turned the job into 15 hrs all over the place .
But it’s a job I’d do tomorrow if they were in my area

Looks ok to me except I’m trying to get off nights! Someone i know does quite a lot of work here as a LTD co driver, he said it’s the easiest job he has ever done but he actually likes starting midnight to 3am.
When they say nights out, surely that means days out with those hours? As in sat at a MSA all day?

Nick say’s the pay is just short of 31k Bald Bloke.

That makes it 30k in my book.

The culina truck passing me yesterday through the road works southbound on the M6, must not yet have been told about not breaking rules… :unamused: weaving in and out, undertaking, tail gating and speeding.

BTW, a 4/2 rota means you work 5 days a week, just a lot of weekends. For no extra reward. Go fill your boots. :grimacing:

31k I thought was good but then I can live quite comfortably on that as a single bloke with no other income coming in and I still put cash away.
I suppose I live within my means