Culina, offered an interview

Had a search, nothing really fresh about, hope staff OK with this in here too?

Anyone on or recently in with them?

Just wondering what to expect on the day, I know I’ll be having a drive/formal natter, been told to allow 3hrs for the day an no need for a suit which is a bonus.

I’m just bit concerned about the dreaded reverse, as I’ve seen mutterings it’s a blindside?
They’ve said their accommodating of new/lesser experienced drivers and your buddied up if successful which would be cool but its that what’s the ‘IF’ bit lol.
Is it if you maul the reverse you are done for and can never darken the door, are they that harsh or could a decent willing attitude/good all round general knowledge/ability prevail?

Seemed to get on well with the HR lass an passed me covid questionnaire so I’m hopeful that’ll bode well with the score card if nowt else [emoji38]

Yeah so thanks in advance all, any input be much appreciated [emoji482]

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk

When I was a Driver Trainer for them, the 3 hours would consist of checking license, 50 questions based on drivers hours, highway code, different scenarios and signage to answer. After that you would do your walk round checks on the unit and trailer before going out on road for an hours drive on a set route. Once back in the yard a normal reverse and blind side reverse would be completed.

I don’t know how Culina ( Great Bear ) do it now. However I’ll add that I used to help the driver doing their reverses if they looked in trouble. Good luck, be confident and ask if you’re not sure.

I used to be a driver trainer in Avonmouth but admittedly I left just over 4 yrs ago but what we did was go out for an assessment drive first of all taking roughly half hour followed by 2 reverses 1 of them being blind side ( you’re kind of allowed to make a mini mash of it as long as you don’t get any where near hitting anything and the assessor doesn’t have to stop you). Then so long as you passed the driving bit then it was a questionnaire of about 40 tacho and general Highway Code questions and I usually did this sat in the cab in the corner of the yard somewhere.

Then providing all still ok it was inside I’ll get the teas/coffee’s and wait for your interview with the TM or assistant TM.

Don’t worry about being a newbie just show a good friendly attitude and a willingness to learn and listen you’ll be fine.

I remember some potential drivers messed up their reverse big time but I still passed them but recommended they spent the day with the shunter and that way you’ll soon pick it up.

Forgot to say the unit and trailer was already hooked up and we used run through vehicle checks and hitching up process during the induction period but like I said I have been gone over 4 yrs now so may all be different.

Thanks Gentlemen, very grateful to you both [emoji482][emoji41]

I’ll get my head down tonight and start refreshing on the advised points, and will be sure to use my G.O.A.L mentality so thank you for the jog in memory there too…

Not driven since December except for another assessment elsewhere, passed that but in fairness there wasn’t a blindside involved lol so could be a laugh if nothing else [emoji16]

Really looking forward to it in all honesty, just hope I can show em I’m worth a punt especially with all the blokes out there currently looking aswell [emoji20]

With the blindside it’s always best if in doubt to put hand brake on and get out and have a look I certainly never minded anyone doing this .

bald bloke:
With the blindside it’s always best if in doubt to put hand brake on and get out and have a look I certainly never minded anyone doing this .

Bless ya bold bloke, a given rule for sure!!

Just hope the chaps left his guide dog at home, I should be alright then hopefully [emoji16]

What depot ? Haverhill.

bald bloke:
What depot ? Haverhill.

Yeah Haverhill, but if any of my fan club ask,
Haverhill is north of Glasgow…[emoji16]

Believe its mainly chilled/ambient work, shifts are days 5 on 3 off so you’ll work weekends, for so many an then so many off if that’s correct?

Long as I can learn from other blokes then I’ll be happy if I get lucky [emoji106]

Benjie83:

bald bloke:
What depot ? Haverhill.

Yeah Haverhill, but if any of my fan club ask,
Haverhill is north of Glasgow…[emoji16]

Believe its mainly chilled/ambient work, shifts are days 5 on 3 off so you’ll work weekends, for so many an then so many off if that’s correct?

Long as I can learn from other blokes then I’ll be happy if I get lucky [emoji106]

5 on 3 off is what I did you start a day later every week, the start times maybe harsh unless you’re an afternoon starter

Were you with them long?

That’s cool, I suppose that’s a fairer way as ideally everyone works equal amounts of weekend shifts, I hope at least…

When you say they ‘vary’…
Frighten me into staying at home doing more house work ‘vary’ or meh it may be an hour earlier ‘vary’ lol

Benjie83:
Were you with them long?

That’s cool, I suppose that’s a fairer way as ideally everyone works equal amounts of weekend shifts, I hope at least…

Frighten me into staying at home doing more house work ‘vary’ or meh it may be an hour earlier ‘vary’ lol

I was with them 7 yrs, they’re ok to work for but are an ■■■■ firm everything has to be by the book but if you’re good at keeping your head down like I was you’ll be fine as they like to monitor your driving habits, it used to be a chilled depot only and wouldn’t have thought that’s changed.

You must be bloody mad , there was a Culina after
Me at best way hackney last week had
A bad shoulder , knackered knees & had
The results of some kind of blood test to
Come & he had a trailer full of milk to
Tip ( I assume pallets as he was asking if
It was.a bay or pump truck , if
Pump truck he wasn’t sure he could do it
Told me gist is much the better job , I assume
As he lived nr wsm im guessing it was avonmouth
He worked out of
I’d of helped the poor sod but had
Enough problems of my own so left him
To get on with it

bald bloke:

Benjie83:
Were you with them long?

I was with them 7 yrs, they’re ok to work for but are an ■■■■ firm everything has to be by the book but if you’re good at keeping your head down like I was you’ll be fine as they like to monitor your driving habits, it used to be a chilled depot only and wouldn’t have thought that’s changed.

I think micro analising is a given sadly nowadays, but duly noted an appreciate the heads up [emoji106]

7yrs is a good stint, hopeful I’ll see something similar then, blindside dependant.

Cheers again bb, guess I’ll just have to see how my luck goes…

dozy:
To get on with it

99 problems but a steak
dinner on a Friday
ain’t one
oh actually wait
a minute its Dozy

dozy:
Told me gist is much the better job , I assume
As he lived nr wsm im guessing it was avonmouth
He worked out of
To get on with it

Cheers doze [emoji6]

In my position, beggers can’t be as they say.

As said they seem accepting of lesser experienced lads which is a big bonus, and as bb above said the kits clean, your kept legal and the works the work.

I’m young enough to enjoy some physical graft to pass the hours an earn the wage but I understand it may not be the best of work if your in a situation like you’ve stated.

Don’t forget to post the outcome, we all wait with breathed breath to here the good news, another adventure another story, good luck don’t let the head drop

Bigtruck3:
Don’t forget to post the outcome, we all wait with breathed breath to here the good news, another adventure another story, good luck don’t let the head drop

[emoji38]

Ooooh I shall do, an I hope you’ll be the first through the gate to come an chew me cud as always [emoji16]

Mind stobbies are having a recruit again…

Still got me green dress too if your still fancying giving it a lift should my latest Paddington not go too plan [emoji8][emoji8]

Best of luck with it Benji

I drive past the one at Wolves quite a bit and it always seems an organised yard with some nice kit in it

Culina used to be ‘dead men shoes’ but I imagine that’s changed, as well as the name :laughing:

good_friend:
Best of luck with it Benji

I drive past the one at Wolves quite a bit and it always seems an organised yard with some nice kit in it

Culina used to be ‘dead men shoes’ but I imagine that’s changed, as well as the name [emoji38]

Cheers sweetz, hahaha ya never know hey one day we may pass in the erm, day, I won’t say night as that’s abit creepy…[emoji38]

Well one can only hope hey, besides I’ve run out of washing to re wash ffs, although with kids now off I reckon I’ll keep busy should my looks, charm,natural ability, wisdom…
not strike them into submission.

You be safe out there [emoji6]

dozy: