CSA !

Watch the new CSA regs lads :exclamation:
I got my official rating yesterday and it was 13 :open_mouth: I checked the docs to find that at a DOT check in VT a coupe of years ago I was given a fix or repair ticket for no reflectors on the mud flaps of the tractor. In the sheets i was hown yesterday the same inspection showed the mud flap issue plus two air hoses rubbing and another fix or repair and all taken as 3 violations instead of 1. the company is going to appeal aagainst it for me but that can take months.
Today as I drove home loaded I stopped at the Pilot in Schodack NY and as always walked round while fueling to check the wheels etc and everything was ok. 25 miles after leaving I was pulled into the DOT check at Clifton Park NY where a nice enough cop did a walk around, “Everything is ok except you have a tyre going down on your rear drive axle” he said.
I was stunned and explained that I had only just checked at the Pilot.
“these things happen” said the cop and looked at my elog then noticed a small crack on the bottom of m windshield. … I got a full court ticket for the tyre that was going down even though it had obviously just happed and another for a cracked windshield even though a new windshield is arranged to be fitted on monday. These points stay on the record for 3 years and it doesn’t matter if it just went wrong you still get the points. As I said to the cop “It’s some safety system that gives you a ticket for even a light bulb that could have blown a mile before the check but doesn’t mind you driving for 11 hours no stop”

Hi Pat.
No reflectors on the tractor mud flaps :open_mouth: That’s insane, unless it’s changed you did’nt need tractor mud flaps when pulling a trailer. I’ve driven tractors that did’nt have mud flaps fitted, no problem with a tailer.

This is realy nit picking crap :imp: What if you have a blow out and pull over on the shoulder but befor the tyre guy gets there along comes a super trooper, he can give you another ticket :unamused:

It’s the new world order chaps, all this is just the beginning, Obama is Tony [zb]ing Blair on steroids :unamused:

remy:
Hi Pat.
No reflectors on the tractor mud flaps :open_mouth: That’s insane, unless it’s changed you did’nt need tractor mud flaps when pulling a trailer. I’ve driven tractors that did’nt have mud flaps fitted, no problem with a tailer.

This is realy nit picking crap :imp: What if you have a blow out and pull over on the shoulder but befor the tyre guy gets there along comes a super trooper, he can give you another ticket :unamused:

You don’t need them pulling a trailer now Charles, I said that to the ■■■■ that gave me a ticket and he replied “Too late now, you should have taken them off before driving” … Little git.

I have actually emailed the DOT today concerning CSA rules to say how utterly riddiculous it is to ticket someone over something that can happen even on aproach to a scale etc, Silly and unsafe laws that let a driver keep going for 11 hours non stop but issue a ticket for something un preventable like a lamp blowing after the pre trip inspection is stupid.

Pat Hasler:

remy:
Hi Pat.

You don’t need them pulling a trailer now Charles, I said that to the [zb] that gave me a ticket and he replied “Too late now, you should have taken them off before driving” … Little git.

Pat, looks as if you were unfortunate to run into a complete idiot.
Its all about the cash, money in the kitty for each State.

Here’s one from back home, who said you couldn’t put the BIN out on a bank holiday. LOL (Laden)

Jobsworths the world over Pat, bloke sounds like a real ■■■■ end, what the ■■■■ are you supposed to do, tyres go slack, windscreens get cracked this can happen within 10 yards of a safety check, WTF are you to do when common sense has been thrown out the window■■?

The Vostapo over here are mostly bothered with Johnny Foreigner but us as operators are on a traffic light system reds a tug greens a go & ambers a what mood there in. Most places they tug you have the east europeans blocking them up anyway.

How many points till your parked up for a while?? Is appealing going to make matters worse?? Good luck anyway…

fly sheet:
Jobsworths the world over Pat, bloke sounds like a real ■■■■ end, what the [zb] are you supposed to do, tyres go slack, windscreens get cracked this can happen within 10 yards of a safety check, WTF are you to do when common sense has been thrown out the window■■?

The Vostapo over here are mostly bothered with Johnny Foreigner but us as operators are on a traffic light system reds a tug greens a go & ambers a what mood there in. Most places they tug you have the east europeans blocking them up anyway.

How many points till your parked up for a while?? Is appealing going to make matters worse?? Good luck anyway…

At least VOSA are finally targeting the Eastern Europeans over here!
Good luck with your fight Pat.

Pat, how did you manage to get a rating? That must be something internally at your place?

I’ve read through CSA and it’s nothing to do with drivers whatsoever, it’s a system that monitors the safety levels of the carrier, exactly the same as before, just ponced up a bit. A score is awarded in a number of key areas, but this is to the carrier as a whole, not particular drivers, unless you’re a single vehicle operator of course :laughing: Obviously a driver that goes on the rampage with faulty markers and soggy tYres can affect the carrier’s rating, but the only rating a driver has is his/her driver’s licence :bulb:

Since the roll out of CSA I’ve never heard so much drivel spouted by drivers, my favourite was ‘you will have your CDL taken away if your neck size is bigger than 17’ A whole industry of con men has been spawned from this, there are companies that will, for a small fee :open_mouth: look at your record and give you a CSA score :unamused:

Mark, along with your MVR, and DAC report CSA 2010 added PSP pre employment screening programme. The DOT supplies crash data (5 yrs previous) and roadside inspection information (3 yrs previous) Google CSA2010 there are links available. Any infraction is listed and a point system awarded to the nature of the infraction, eg cracked windshield to bald tire. This is to make drivers accountable for not carrying out thorough pre trip inspections. Not forgetting there are different levels of DOT roadside inspections. Yes the carrier will also be held accountable regards his DOT authority through the safety rating with in the scope of CSA 2010. Thats the whole idea, and to raise cash as well. Like everything in the States the system is complicated, but employers are using PSPs to review a drivers history, and needless to say infractions and points go against him personally.
Unfortunatly many un-informed drivers thought the points would be added to their drivers license, and MVR.
That is not the case. Previously any infraction for vehicle condition or fine attributed to it would be paid by the carrier, the driver now has to pay an equal amount. Its all about making the drivers accountable for the mechanical condition and therefore safe operation of their vehicles, hit them in the pocket they will PAY attention.
For us Brits its second nature to do proper pre/post trip inspection and get repairs done asap, and to move the responsibility to the transport manager to follow through in order to keep the truck on the road and vosa from the door.

There is no such legal requirement here for a transport manager or legal qualification as such. Fleet managers are responsible for 1000,s of trucks with no come back on them.
Look at the LTL companies 80/100 terminals each, 1000s of drivers perhaps 3/4 regional managers or 1 corporate guy.
Where is the accountability there?

Ray La Hood, must of met Tony Blair on one of his many visits and is now introducing VOSA to North America.

If it cuts down the cowboy outfits, its alright with me, but unfortunately, there is always some idiot like Pat ran into who will leave a bad impression on good guys who are doing a good job.

Great explanation Paul John.

Trubrit:
Great explanation Paul John.

Thanks Trubrit, although I should of perhaps mentioned that CSA stands for Compliance-Safety-Accountability. for anyone looking in outside North America. In itself it is common sense, something completely lacking in our profession these days.

Paul

Paul, nice explanation, I’m up to speed with it, I read it through soon after they came up with the final draft, I was going to say about the DAC report, but had a brain ■■■■ and couldn’t remember what it was called :blush:

I guess companies are using the CSA stuff to score their drivers, that’s a good thing really, it doesn’t take much for a bad driver to cause everyone on a firm a load of problems, my place will ■■■■ you off after the 2nd out of service violation, we get a pass on the first, coupled with a stern warning, the next one is it, no matter how long you’ve been there or how good a job you do, you’re down the road.

They’re pretty good with fixing stuff at my place, recently they kitted everything out with LED lights to avoid that issue, but silly things, like Pat says, can happen a mile away from a scale, maybe they should issue a warning for first offences, then if it’s repeated the driver probably isn’t doing his pre trips properly, so a penalty would be in order, mind you they wouldn’t make as much money then :unamused: