Cruise control

I got to wondering today whether people use cruise control or not. I appreciate for someone doing town/ multi drop stuff it’s not really practical, but how about multi lane road driving?

What got me wondering is that on numerous occasions I’ve been following a HGV that has started to slow for no apparent reason ie, hill, slow moving vehicle in front. The only conclusion I can come to is that the driver isn’t using cc for whatever reason.

It doesn’t bother me, and certainly doesn’t annoy me, but I just wondered whether or not you folks routinely used your cc.

Personally I use mine whenever possible ( and safe). According to the sheets they put up weekly I score an “A” for cc use, whereas other drivers score as low as “G”. Not that it matters really, there’s very little difference in fuel consumption between a high score and a so called low one.

the maoster:
I got to wondering today whether people use cruise control or not. I appreciate for someone doing town/ multi drop stuff it’s not really practical, but how about multi lane road driving?

What got me wondering is that on numerous occasions I’ve been following a HGV that has started to slow for no apparent reason ie, hill, slow moving vehicle in front. The only conclusion I can come to is that the driver isn’t using cc for whatever reason.

It doesn’t bother me, and certainly doesn’t annoy me, but I just wondered whether or not you folks routinely used your cc.

Personally I use mine whenever possible ( and safe). According to the sheets they put up weekly I score an “A” for cc use, whereas other drivers score as low as “G”. Not that it matters really, there’s very little difference in fuel consumption between a high score and a so called low one.

I’ve drove a few where the cruise control turns itself off for no reason - possibly clutch switch or something - but because it’s so smooth, you’ve lost a few miles per hour (sorry, kph) before noticing sometimes.

Unless you have 600+bhp under the cab then you are going to slow down on hills even with CC. It can’t beat the laws of physics.

the maoster:

or it could be that the driver IS using CC and has slowed for one of the reasons you have mentioned :confused:

I am a night driver and use my CC all the time. Drove a stralis that had adaptive cruise control. That was amazing, set the cruise to 90Kph, if you catch a slower moving vehicle it will slow your vehicle to that of the one in front. If the vehicle in front stops, you stop, no need to use the brake pedal.
''twas a bit nerve racking the first time I tried the “stopping without the pedal” bit.
It also had “lane departure” warning, which sounded a buzzer if you drifted over the white lane.

On our Safed training we were told to use cc wherever possible as it saves fuel, reduces driver fatigue and keeps plod of your back as you are able to set your speed and not worry about going over the speed limit.

I tend to use it alot actually.

What is this 'cruise control ’ of which you speak ? :confused:

I find cc on single carriageways tedious at 40mph so I like to use the pedal.

I find I get a sore leg if the CC doesnt work,tho I prefer to use the accelerator when cornering even on a 40 mph road when the vehicle could easily take the corner at that speed

Seldom use it.

Little wonder so many fall asleep and hit the bloody scenery, they join the other clowns in the automatics, entering roundabouts without a clue whats going on or what speed they’re doing, whoops another one over, and the other useless buggers who failed to realise they were A, loaded, or B, 16’ high when they cruise nonchalantly through the 13’ 6" bridge listening to jeremy i’m as boring as hell vine.

Saves on driver fatigue? hang on mo while i stitch me aching sides up, what driver fatigue, they don’t do bugger all these days.

I’m no ‘professional driver’-I’m a steering wheel attendant. I use my cc all the time where possible & car drivers always ruin it for me especially on days. I’m so used to it that even when buying my personal car I make sure it comes will cc as standard, sharpens up the ol’ forward planning skills I think…

Seagoon:
Unless you have 600+bhp under the cab then you are going to slow down on hills even with CC. It can’t beat the laws of physics.

R730 V8 pal uses me cruise all the time! :open_mouth: :laughing: :sunglasses: :grimacing:

Excel liked us to use CC as much as possible, Inverness to Durness, Scrabster and back, not much opportunity whatsoever.

i use the cruise contral most of the time
apart from going up hills
its useful on 40 mph roads with cameras
although you gotta concentrate and look out for where the road drops to a 30
or you get fined 60 quid
like what happened to me

DCPC trainer told the class that C.C. should be used on driving tests ,if fitted.I dont think that it makes much sense ,but hey niether does the DCPC.

Carlisle to Manchester or Birmingham and back on nights it’s used all the time, last night I got on at J4 and didn’t turn it off until J44. Plugged in the iPod and vegged out.

I drive on a nightshirt so I use it most of the time, Newcastle to Liecester and most nights I never touch a pedal :laughing: I sometimes have a little snooze as I pass Wetherby :grimacing:

Juddian:
Seldom use it.

Little wonder so many fall asleep and hit the bloody scenery, they join the other clowns in the automatics, entering roundabouts without a clue whats going on or what speed they’re doing, whoops another one over, and the other useless buggers who failed to realise they were A, loaded, or B, 16’ high when they cruise nonchalantly through the 13’ 6" bridge listening to jeremy i’m as boring as hell vine.

Saves on driver fatigue? hang on mo while i stitch me aching sides up, what driver fatigue, they don’t do bugger all these days.

I swapped about a year ago from old manual wagons with no cruise and manual gearboxes to reasonably new wagons with cruise and autoboxes.

I find driving the new ones possibly more of a challenge than the old ones, its very different, you use hand controls AND foot controls, you really have to look ahead to stay with the hand controls and as an emergency you can swap back to the old fashioned pedals if you screw up. But keeping a wagon on the cruise as much as you can, swapping to manually adjusted speed limiter for the towny bits and when it gets extra steep or twisty you can just rely on the old fashioned simple foot off and on with semi-auto as well.

Maybe you just can’t handle the technology and the concentration, understanding and skill that it takes to use it all PROPERLY.

If you think a clutch makes you superior then you haven’t a clue.

Indeedy, cc all the way.
Helps stop the creeping up when on s/c roads.
I am convinced that if my speed was to creep over the limit then plod would be just waiting to nab me,never mind the doorknobs that go hurtling past me all day every day.

I probably abuse my cc! Use it often, motorways,dc’s and sc’s.

Sorry for those caught behind me on a sc, I set it at 42/43 and that’s it.

I wish it could also be used to limit my speed i.e. 30mph inside towns…this truck just wants
to go faster…:slight_smile:

You can limit the speed in xf’s , I use it all the time in truck and car just used to it now I do multidrop pallet delivery too