Crossing to dublin

Hi all
can anyone give me an idiots guide to crossing Holyhead to Dublin. I did it once about 15yrs ago as second man with a mate and he did everything. This time I’m all alone. So would appreciate it if anyone can give me an idiots guide. Crossing monday with 7 drops and back on tuesday. Tickets booked.

Many thanks in advance

:question: :smiley: :question: :smiley: :question:

Follow the truck in front? :laughing:

Go to Holyhead

Pull into the port entrance, if you miss the port you shouldn’t be driving

Pull onto the weighbridge for whichever company you are crossing with, Irish Ferries on the left and Stena on the right.

Take the tickets they give you and follow the signs to whichever berth is on the card they gave you to put in the windscreen.

Go into the lane which is on the card they gave you to put in the windscreen.

Wait.

Board the ferry when called forward.

Take the tickets for the meal and the cabin they gave you at the booth upstairs with you.

Go to the information desk and get your cabin, if you are on Irish Ferries there is a good chance you will be sharing, on Stena a good chance you won’t.

Go to Restaurant and get your free meal, Irish Ferries has slightly better food but Stena is not bad.

many thanks coffee I didn’t realise it was that easy

:smiley: :blush: :smiley: :blush: :smiley: :blush: :smiley:

Dont forget your passport

Santa:

Don’t need a passport for ROI.

Coffeeholic:
Go to Holyhead

Pull into the port entrance, if you miss the port you shouldn’t be driving

Pull onto the weighbridge for whichever company you are crossing with, Irish Ferries on the left and Stena on the right.

Take the tickets they give you and follow the signs to whichever berth is on the card they gave you to put in the windscreen.

Go into the lane which is on the card they gave you to put in the windscreen.

Wait.

Board the ferry when called forward.

Take the tickets for the meal and the cabin they gave you at the booth upstairs with you.

Go to the information desk and get your cabin, if you are on Irish Ferries there is a good chance you will be sharing, on Stena a good chance you won’t.

Go to Restaurant and get your free meal, Irish Ferries has slightly better food but Stena is not bad.

Neil has missed something out !!!

Dont put your wages in the fruit machines !!!

Urghhh just seeing Holyhead written down sends a shiver down my spine!

Coffeeholic:

Santa:

He’s going to Dublin which is Southern Ireland which you do, Northern Ireland you dont :wink:
That wanted my passport when I flew to Dublin a few years ago :wink:

DAF95XF:

Coffeeholic:

Santa:

He’s going to Dublin which is Southern Ireland which you do, Northern Ireland you dont :wink:

went 2 dublin 2 years ago on plane,mate had no passport just photo licence,no probs they said

DAF95XF:

Coffeeholic:

Santa:

Southern Ireland is the area round Waterford, Cork and Killarney, he is going to the Republic of Ireland, hence the ROI in my last post.

You do not need a passport crossing from Holyhead to Dublin, I’ve done that crossing well over 100 times in the last 3 years, 3 times some weeks, and probably around another 100 crossings via various ports over the last 20 odd years, and there are no passport controls. There is a Common Travel Area between the ROI and the UK so Irish and British citizens can move freely and need only present valid ID on request. For security reasons most airlines insist photo ID be presented, which would be why they wanted your passport.

Coffeeholic:

DAF95XF:

Coffeeholic:

Santa:

Southern Ireland is the area round Waterford, Cork and Killarney, he is going to the Republic of Ireland, hence the ROI in my last post.

You do not need a passport crossing from Holyhead to Dublin, I’ve done that crossing well over 100 times in the last 3 years, 3 times some weeks, and probably around another 100 crossings via various ports over the last 20 odd years, and there are no passport controls. There is a Common Travel Area between the ROI and the UK so Irish and British citizens can move freely and need only present valid ID on request. For security reasons most airlines insist photo ID be presented, which would be why they wanted your passport.

I second this, I’ve been to Ireland hundreds and hundreds of times (many driving a Dutch truck) in past 7/8 years and you’ll never be asked for a passport. Some ferry companies, such a Norfolk Line, ask for id but thats purely for their own purposes and a driving licence will do.

Coffeeholic:
For security reasons most airlines insist photo ID be presented, which would be why they wanted your passport.

That’ll be that then :blush:

ROI and Southern Ireland are one an the same!!

It has 26 counties the other 6 are occupied by the UK ! and it referred to as Northern Ireland or the North of Ireland.

26 counties of Southern Ireland or the Irish Republic are:

Carlow, Cavan, Clare, Cork, Donegal, Dublin, Galway, Kerry, Kildare, Kilkenny, Leitrim, Laois, Limerick, Louth, Longford, Mayo, Meath, Monaghan, Offaly, Roscommon, Sligo, Tipperary, Waterford, Wicklow, Wexford, Westmeath.

These counties are indicated on the registration plate of a vehicle, by the letter, ie, DL for Donegal, G for Galway

ie 03-WH-1233, would indicate that the truck is yr 2003 and was registered in WestMeath

You dont need a passport to go by Boat. You do if you are flying by Ryan Air or an ID card, its their T&Cs.

routier:
ROI and Southern Ireland are one an the same!!

I know a lot of Irish people who get mightily ■■■■■■ off when they hear their country referred to as Southern Ireland, especially when there has been no such country since the early 1920’s when it existed for a couple of years before being replaced by The Irish Free State, which in turn was replaced by The Republic of Ireland. To them Southern Ireland would mean the same in the Republic of Ireland as Southern England means in Britain.

routier:
6 are occupied by the UK !

Occupied by the UK ! They are part of the UK until the people of the six vote for a united Ireland.

Quigg:

routier:

Occupied by the UK ! They are part of the UK until the people of the six vote for a united Ireland.

I think you may find some people may disagree… I hope to see a United Ireland before I die.

So do I. but tell the true facts

routier:

Quigg:

routier:

I think you may find some people may disagree… I hope to see a United Ireland before I die.

If you want to debate the Irish question, then there are plenty of other forums for you to do so, equipped with far more learned people then here. This is a forum about truck driving, and the question is about how to get a truck there.

if you wish to discuss the issues politicaly, that are nothing to do with truck driving… bullys bar is that way ~~~~~~~>

Theres NO DEBATE to discuss Rikki,

Where are those learned People I wonder… :unamused: :unamused: