Cross hammers

Since January my company has been using cross hammers to record
unloading/loading etc on your tachos saying that the box was to be used
for period of availability as of the end of february.But nobody else that drivers
at my depot have ask are doing the same.So is anybody on this web site doing the same■■? . :confused: :confused: (national company with 1500+drivers)

Enjoy the break over easter

Ian :stuck_out_tongue: :smiley:

We have been told to use them like that too,

For all the time I have been driving, a rectangular box with a line through it has specified “Other Work” This was the symbol in the Log Books as well!

Someone who hasnt a clue, has sat in a dark office trying to justify his job.

We are. Or at least we were until the WTD got put back…at which point we were told to stop until the 4th April and then start again… :unamused:

As an aside…at this point the 2 old-hands who do our pay talks took a little toddle down to the office and pointed out that this is yet more “work” we are being asked to do without being paid (as we are on mileage) and that some of the lads had been muttering about being very “scrupulous” about what is a POA and what is “Other Work”… so they’d best have a lot of agency drivers waiting to take over come Wednesday afternoon when we’re all out of hours…:wink:

We now have the payrise they asked for (which management turned down) 3 months ago…plus a new bit of money which they have been fighting for for 23 years…and the status quo has resumed…(on rest/POA, naturally…)…The drivers are about £40 a week better off. Not bad for pushing a different button at the beginning and end of each day…:sunglasses:

Try it…you never know… :wink:

the pep talk we have been given in the office over the last few months has been, dont worry it wont affect us :stuck_out_tongue:

Over the last 2 weeks they have been very busy and seem to think that maybe they were a bit hasty about the first statement. They seemed to think they were going to get a few months to see how things pan out before the prosecutions start!

Now that Vosa are after new staff, you can bet that will be their first assignment.

There has been a big increase in these Vosa people carriers lately, someone will have to pay for them, and they are not checking how long spotty oik has been serving burgers without a break :stuck_out_tongue:

On another point. I have seen some more of these government people carriers. They have Orange reflective stripes like a police car, they are signwritten with TAN Livery and have Network Steward on the doors :question:

ok can someone clear this up for me im self employed i do 4 days a week for one firm when i deliver its to rdc,s all i do is open the back doors they tip it i dont touch it so i put my tacho on bed as im not doing any other work ie crossed hammers

According to the literature we were handed.

Other Work is Circle Checks, waiting for paperwork, opening doors, curtains etc waiting to tip if you are in a queue and moving up, counting pallets as they are loaded on to your trailer.

POA is waiting for paperwork as long as they tell you how long you are waiting beforehand.

Waiting for a phone call when they say I will ring you back in an hour and forget :stuck_out_tongue:

Waiting to tip at a customer, if you arrive earlier than your booking time, if you are advised there is a delay and you will be x hours driver. If there is always a delay at Smiths, that counts as a POA too.

I dont understand why we need it though.

Driving is Driving, Work is Work and the rest is Bed (Simple)

Wheel Nut:
According to the literature we were handed.

Other Work is Circle Checks, waiting for paperwork, opening doors, curtains etc waiting to tip if you are in a queue and moving up, counting pallets as they are loaded on to your trailer.

POA is waiting for paperwork as long as they tell you how long you are waiting beforehand.

Waiting for a phone call when they say I will ring you back in an hour and forget :stuck_out_tongue:

Waiting to tip at a customer, if you arrive earlier than your booking time, if you are advised there is a delay and you will be x hours driver. If there is always a delay at Smiths, that counts as a POA too.

I dont understand why we need it though.

Driving is Driving, Work is Work and the rest is Bed (Simple)

and to add to that, the agencies who can be bothered to adapt to the WTD and tell its drivers what’s expected, the POA can only be used on that time which you knew it’d be, so if you’re waiting 1 hour for a phone-call and it takes 2, the first hour is POA but the 2nd is other work. if you’re tipping and it normally takes 90 minutes you can book 90 minutes POA but beyond that it’s other work.

why? pain in the backside extra confusion if you ask me, and each agency is slightly different, each firm is slightly different so what are we to do?

what I suggest to each and every driver, including agency is to ask for a copy in writing of the firm’s understanding of the WTD and new tacho usage regs and how you’re supposed to apply it - and take a copy in your wallet or bag or whatever - and if stopped and you’re using something different to what the official viewpoint is from VOSA on its application, explain that it’s how you’ve been trained and not completely your fault, etc - see if it buys some leniency - then of course ask for them to write it down for you, and show it back at base.

if they only plan to educate drivers on how to do things right by prosecutions then it’s doomed to failure. inform to educate, not punishment! save that for such time as information is at saturation point (and accurate and consistent).

el gordo 78:
and to add to that, the agencies who can be bothered to adapt to the WTD and tell its drivers what’s expected,

Wanna bet? My agency is even having training sessions. The agencies have been read the riot act as they’re the most likley sources for infringements.

I’m with 6 in scunthorpe and signed up to another 5 in doncaster last week.

2 have mentioned it.

few agencies are acting on advice given to them.

My agency has told me…

Driving = driving symbol (paid)
Other Work= crossed hammers (paid)
POA = Jam butty (Paid)
Rest = bed (unpaid)

So, basically I will leave tacho on crossed hammers apart from when waiting at an RDC etc. Then it is on POA. The example given earlier of being told a wait is 1 hours but then taking 2, just go and ask after the 1st hour - ‘Oh, another hour mate’, great, more POA therefore not using up my available ‘working hours’

I only use rest when I decide to take a break within tacho regs. If I have it on rest at an RDC when waiting, I am not paid for what is officially classed as either Other Work or POA.

Glad to see me and other drivers at my depot are as confused ,dont
understand,etc etc, why we need this 48 hour law when you will still be on duty
for more than the 48 because of POA sombody must be getting a big
wedge for thinking of this thats all i’ll say :bulb: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: