Criminal Records

My mate got done for possession with intent to supply cannabis over 20 years ago. In the normal run of things the offence is considered “spent” after 7 years under the Rehabilitation of Offenders act nineteen seventy something, and does not have to be declared on normal job applications.

However, he is going for a job delivering airside to an airport which will mean an ECRB check in which case the offence will show up.

Given that the offence involved drugs, should he even bother applying for the job? Is it an instant no-no or would they take in to consideration it was over 20 years ago and that he has stayed the right side of the law ever since?

Also, is there anyway of obtaining an ECRB check on yourself under the freedom of information act to see what is listed there?

Thanks

My ex mate did 8yrs for drugs and money laundering ,nobody would touch him at all,even agencys,only break he got was a friend of a friend who had 2 lorrys and went by word of mouth and took a gamble setting him on a favour…,i think when you apply for a job and theres a massive gap between employment it sets cogs turning,its not the same circumstances but i thought id share :confused:

I thought this was a thread about pop music!

As for your mate, nothing ventured, nothing gained. If they knock him back because of the conviction, he hasn’t lost anything. If he does get to interview stage though, he will be asked about it.
I seem to recall that you can get your own ECRB but they cost about £35.

You can get your own CRB (now called DBS) but it is only the basic one and will not give the full details of your naughtyness.

I sometimes work with people who are trying desperately hard to get back on the straight and narrow and this is a common question. This is a good page to read

The theory…

The bottom line is that it is illegal to discriminate on the basis of a SPENT conviction so even if it shows up on a DBS check it theoretically should not affect the process. You are right that this kind of offence would normally be spent under the 1974 act (amended 2012) after 5-8 years depending on the exact sentence he got. So in theory the employer should not consider this, they are legally supposed to assess the applicant against their published criteria.

The reality …

Either the employer feels like giving someone a chance or they don’t. If they do, great. If they don’t, they need to find a different (and legal) reason why they reject his application. If the applicant asks for feedback (which is allowed!) then they can’t state it is because of the conviction. The answer will usually be a washy one that someone else fitted the published criteria more closely.

If he gets as far as interview it is best to be completely open and honest about it. Hope that helps.

Ched:
My mate got done for possession with intent to supply cannabis over 20 years ago. In the normal run of things the offence is considered “spent” after 7 years under the Rehabilitation of Offenders act nineteen seventy something, and does not have to be declared on normal job applications.

However, he is going for a job delivering airside to an airport which will mean an ECRB check in which case the offence will show up.

Given that the offence involved drugs, should he even bother applying for the job? Is it an instant no-no or would they take in to consideration it was over 20 years ago and that he has stayed the right side of the law ever since?

Also, is there anyway of obtaining an ECRB check on yourself under the freedom of information act to see what is listed there?

Thanks

Its about the Sentence he got and not why.
If he got just a Warning its not bad. But if he sat in for 5 Year it may be recorded.
Normally 10 Year. Hard Cases up to 30 Year.
If he applies they maximum could refuse it,but if he does not apply they not even could do that.
I woodnt mention it.

He could go back to supplying cannabis, I believe the pay is very good, all though there somewhat obvious risk,s.
As for criminal record, Johnny Reggae by the The Piglets, bad does not even begin to cover it…

If he drives a black BMW any prospective employer will think he is still dealing as well.

ten yrs and u still have to tell new employer :smiley:

Haha, thanks for all replies.

It’s never been a problem with normal jobs as it’s spent so it doesn’t need declaring.

No he don’t drive a black BMW :laughing:

He only got community service for it so no gaps on employment record and tbh he don’t even bother listing jobs from 20 years ago on CV.

My main question was is it pointless even applying for a job that involves airside if you’ve got a previous (albeit spent) conviction for drugs? eg, would it be as pointless as a convicted n0nc3 applying to be a teacher, or is it not as black and white as that?

Whatever, I guess nothing ventured nothing gained. If he don’t apply he won’t get the job. If he applies and it is a problem then the worse that can happen is they say “no”.

Ched:

Thanks

Ched:
Haha, thanks for all replies.

It’s never been a problem with normal jobs as it’s spent so it doesn’t need declaring.

No I don’t drive a black BMW :laughing:

I only got community service for it so no gaps on employment record and tbh I don’t even bother listing jobs from 20 years ago on CV.

My main question was is it pointless even applying for a job that involves airside if you’ve got a previous (albeit spent) conviction for drugs? eg, would it be as pointless as a convicted n0nc3 applying to be a teacher, or is it not as black and white as that?

Whatever, I guess nothing ventured nothing gained. If I don’t apply I won’t get the job. If I apply and it is a problem then the worse that can happen is they say “no”.

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

:blush: fixed :wink: