Criminal convictions

Hi guys new here and thinking about going for my cat c licence, but the question i want to ask is will my criminal record affect me for jobs.

I got 4 years for possession and intent to supply class a drugs, obviously because it was 4 years it never becomes unspent.

I am from glasgow, scotland.

Any insights would be appreciated.

I don’t think it would be any more difficult than applying for any other job, there are sectors within driving you no doubt wouldn’t be successful in just as there is in any non driving sector, I think it will be down to how you come across in an interview more than anything else, I may be wrong but that’s my thoughts.

Reef:
I don’t think it would be any more difficult than applying for any other job, there are sectors within driving you no doubt wouldn’t be successful in just as there is in any non driving sector, I think it will be down to how you come across in an interview more than anything else, I may be wrong but that’s my thoughts.

Totally Agee any job where you need security clearances will be a no no, but most other work you should be ok

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Pity we don’t live in Saudi Arabia.

Spudms:
Hi guys new here and thinking about going for my cat c licence, but the question i want to ask is will my criminal record affect me for jobs.

I got 4 years for possession and intent to supply class a drugs, obviously because it was 4 years it never becomes unspent.

Is it long distance/cross border work you were thinking of?

colinaki:

Reef:

Totally Agee any job where you need security clearances will be a no no, but most other work you should be ok

This ^^^ don’t tell them, you’re not the first and you won’t be the last.

Spudms:

Are you still in/around Glasgow?

I mean this with no offence but I am sure that you are far from the only person with a record around that area.

I am sure you will get something. Best of luck

Thanks for the replies guys yeah still around glasgow and like you say wont be the only one.

It was just to check as it isnt exactly cheap to go for the licence.

jbaz73:

colinaki:

Reef:

This ^^^ don’t tell them, you’re not the first and you won’t be the last.

If they don’t ask, then you aren’t obliged to tell them, however if I asked a direct question and got a lie back and I ever found out later that you’d lied, you’d be out the door faster than a rat up a drainpipe.

I think if you declare when asked and explain that you are reformed etc etc, you should be OK. It will inevitably be a no no for some people, but not everyone.

Having dealt with this situation as a recruiter in the past I can assure you not all firms will be - No chance !

As has been said already if they don’t ask you don’t have to tell them but my advice is do tell

Why -? Because at some point they more than likely will find out. All it takes is for you to have a passing comment with someone and it opens up a can of worms.

Most application forms have the tick box regards convictions and a lot of firms miss its been ticked.

Have you thought about preparing a statement of disclosure that explains circumstances of offending and what you’ve done to turn it around?

These can go along way to helping an application.

I’ve had applications and thought hmmm not sure when I’ve seen convictions but after asking I’ve had it explained and received the statement of disclosure and it’s obvious they are trying hard and have made a difference in moving forward so I’ve hired.

This way there’s no chance you’ve broken any Rehab Act laws and company fully aware.

No idea if you’ve any conditions imposed from the offence since but any breach will be taken as guilty first ask later.

It might make it more difficult getting in the door but at least your not going to constantly worry what if they find out etc.

However it’s your choice but my opinion is to be transparent from get go

Best of luck looking

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dcgpx:
Having dealt with this situation as a recruiter in the past I can assure you not all firms will be - No chance !

As has been said already if they don’t ask you don’t have to tell them but my advice is do tell

Why -? Because at some point they more than likely will find out. All it takes is for you to have a passing comment with someone and it opens up a can of worms.

Most application forms have the tick box regards convictions and a lot of firms miss its been ticked.

Have you thought about preparing a statement of disclosure that explains circumstances of offending and what you’ve done to turn it around?

These can go along way to helping an application.

I’ve had applications and thought hmmm not sure when I’ve seen convictions but after asking I’ve had it explained and received the statement of disclosure and it’s obvious they are trying hard and have made a difference in moving forward so I’ve hired.

This way there’s no chance you’ve broken any Rehab Act laws and company fully aware.

No idea if you’ve any conditions imposed from the offence since but any breach will be taken as guilty first ask later.

It might make it more difficult getting in the door but at least your not going to constantly worry what if they find out etc.

However it’s your choice but my opinion is to be transparent from get go

Best of luck looking

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Excellent idea!

Speaking from personal experience I wouldn’t declare your conviction. Let’s be honest, getting a job is hard enough without having to explain time at Her Majesties Pleasure.

I have had a number of jobs and never declared my time in prison when I was officially required to do so. This also meant that I was a little more economical with the truth on my CV to cover the ‘holiday time’

The reality is very few companies will check references. You obviously need to be aware of companies that do DBS checks but their should be a valid reason for them to do this (although morrisions do them on all staff using the Scottish disclosure service)

By the way, from what I have heard bidfood/bidvest use to give ex cons a chance if you do intend to declare it

jonnyboat:
Speaking from personal experience I wouldn’t declare your conviction. Let’s be honest, getting a job is hard enough without having to explain time at Her Majesties Pleasure.

I have had a number of jobs and never declared my time in prison when I was officially required to do so. This also meant that I was a little more economical with the truth on my CV to cover the ‘holiday time’

The reality is very few companies will check references. You obviously need to be aware of companies that do DBS checks but their should be a valid reason for them to do this (although morrisions do them on all staff using the Scottish disclosure service)

By the way, from what I have heard bidfood/bidvest use to give ex cons a chance if you do intend to declare it

Sound advice for the most part. However, there is no requirement to disclose convictions/time spent in prison unless they specifically ask the question…

OTOH, if you lie about it when asked then you need to be prepared to have the rug pulled from under you just as you’re getting your feet under the table (if you’ll excuse the mixed metaphors). If you’re just looking at a driving job as being a “bum on seat” temporary sort of thing then it’s not really an issue, but it would be a right ■■■■■■ to land yourself a plum job only to find that your past bites you on said bum.

I am also aware that the rules in Scotland are slightly different to those in England and Wales - As I understand it, North of the border a four year sentence is never regarded as “spent” whereas here in England it would be “spent” 11 years after conviction.

Bottom line is that I can’t see any reason why a driving job would be treated differently to any other employment. If the employer (or the specific job) is sensitive to previous convictions then your chances will be reduced accordingly. I’d hazard a guess that “blue chip” companies would be less likely to offer you a position than a smaller, local outfit.

Roymondo:

jonnyboat:

Sound advice for the most part. However, there is no requirement to disclose convictions/time spent in prison unless they specifically ask the question…

OTOH, if you lie about it when asked then you need to be prepared to have the rug pulled from under you just as you’re getting your feet under the table (if you’ll excuse the mixed metaphors). If you’re just looking at a driving job as being a “bum on seat” temporary sort of thing then it’s not really an issue, but it would be a right ■■■■■■ to land yourself a plum job only to find that your past bites you on said bum.

I am also aware that the rules in Scotland are slightly different to those in England and Wales - As I understand it, North of the border a four year sentence is never regarded as “spent” whereas here in England it would be “spent” 11 years after conviction.

Bottom line is that I can’t see any reason why a driving job would be treated differently to any other employment. If the employer (or the specific job) is sensitive to previous convictions then your chances will be reduced accordingly. I’d hazard a guess that “blue chip” companies would be less likely to offer you a position than a smaller, local outfit.

Yes that’s true, but in reality you need to account for a gap in your CV so in general the question would come up.

The reality is, people do discriminate and my thinking behind it was that if the question ever did arise whilst i had been with a company for ■■ period of time I would have had time to prove my worth.

Rather that than sending my CV off to all and sundry and not getting a foot in the door.

Best of luck whatever you decide

Thank you all for the replys, i dont have any issues with telling them if they ask as it happened back in 2012 and took until 2015 for me to eventually go to jail. I made a mistake but because its scotland it will never become spent which is a pain.

Although I can think of some sectors where being able to access drugs is a bonus: tippers etc, as stated come clean if asked if not let your reformed character do the talking.

Your history shouldn’t define you take care of the present to give yourself a better future.

(Other fortune cookie wisdom is available).

You did your time, so it’s wrong for you to be punished again. In such a situation I think I would do something to cover my own arse before giving you a job, periodic drug tests or similar, up to you to accept or not, but maybe something you could offer to do if the conviction was the only thing stopping you from getting a job you wanted?

Your first stumbling block could be gaining a provisional license, you may have to sit in front of the Traffic Commissioner and explain yourself before you get one, that may have changed now, I don’t know, but that’s how it used to be.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

The OP won’t need to declare it to get a HGV licence - the form only asks about a few specific driving offences. Applying for a bus/coach licence though, everything needs to be listed and a questioning / bollocking may be necessary

Oh right, I had to go up to Kensington and see the man to get my provisional, I had been nicked for driving a lorry without a license, which I couldn’t get as I was only 18 at the time. The authorities took a dim view of my antics, but it was all good in the end.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

Dipper_Dave:
Your history shouldn’t define you take care of the present to give yourself a better future.

(Other fortune cookie wisdom is available).

Profound :open_mouth: