Credit where its due

0645 yesterday we had a power cut. 1st thing check the RCD board all ok. Looked outside and listened, no alarms going off - that’s odd. Went outside next door has lights on -odder still, but they are an underground feed. Went for a walk and followed the overhead, we are the only house on two poles going back and the third pole on the spur feeds two others. Knock on door which answers and they have power.

As planned I travel to my daughter’s house some miles away. So I ring UK Power Networks worried that it seems I am the only one affected since there are lights on in other houses. I am really impressed with the service received. I explained the issue, what I could see and that there would be no one at home for most of the day. It appears that there have not been any reports in the intervening hour and a half so it does look like I’m the only one. I’m asked about any one of pensionable age (yes me), babies, medical equipment requiring electricity (no) and other possible concerns.

Investigations start and I am offered a late afternoon visit timed to my return home to my house if it is found to be an issue requiring access. A few minutes later I get a text with a reference no, the name and extension of the person who took my call. 10 minutes later I get another message to say that they can confirm that there is a problem with their equipment which is affecting others, they will not need to visit my house and an estimated power on time of three to four hours.

Two hours later another text to say that there is an overhead cable fault (so presumably affecting just one phase) and that engineers were sent 10 minutes after my original call and now estimate power on in around 90 minutes. half an hour later another text am I OK? if not contact a named person.

Half hour later a text to say power is back on and ring again if any other concerns.

So a team has had to find the location of the fault, someone has had to climb a pole in the wind and rain (yes both) across a muddy field probably and maybe with animals in it and do whatever.

I am most impressed with the service from those at the phones, those tracing the origin of the fault and those who got wet. Hats off. :smiley:

Good to know there are good systems around, staffed by efficient people.

GOOD investigation your self, cav551 you must live in the kent outback ,yes there are some decent working folk around , the engineers are called linesmen power to them.

peggydeckboy:
GOOD investigation your self, cav551 you must live in the kent outback ,yes there are some decent working folk around , the engineers are called linesmen power to them.

They deserve a small vacation.

dont mention muddy fields with animals in even though this is kent helen whately will want to build on it while takeing twee pictures for the local rags in her wellies whinging about lorries