CRB Checks

Anyone have any idea if a crb is likely to be needed for hgv work? I know Royal Mail do and I can understand it with them. But what about others? Stobarts, big supermarkets etc.

benbailey81:
Anyone have any idea if a crb is likely to be needed for hgv work? I know Royal Mail do and I can understand it with them. But what about others? Stobarts, big supermarkets etc.

any job that brings you In contact with children/vulnerable people, government establishments ie military bases or high value products/ pharmaceuticals will normally ask for a crb check but any employer can insist on a check if they feel the need ,all the companies that have asked me to have a crb check have paid for the check so it was never a big deal .

Not many do, only the big worriers. I know Ocado & TNT do them.

benbailey81:

Not came across it yet, depends on company as previously stated. But for general haulage no-one needs to know about your past domestic assaults & disfigurements etc…

A basic disclosure only goes back what 4-5 years? And enhanced checks lifetime?

Used to have to do one for air-freight, and when I was on coaches it was always required.

Not a problem as others have said, company pays for it, but it can delay a start date by upto 2 weeks, so if you’re skint it could be a pain in the harris

Next do a disclosure (crb) check. They only do a basic search. Only what shows up on a basic is spent convictions with in 5 years.

My brother had one about 15 years ago when he started bus driving. He has never even had a parking ticket in over 40 years of driving yet the CRB said he had been jailed for 2 years for causing death by dangerous driving.They have made a few mistakes like this so check they dont get you mixed up with someone else like they did with my brother .

As long as truck drivers don’t murder prostitutes between gear changes it generally shouldn’t be required…:smiley:

the rules have changed, just looked at this document from the government web site, and it looks like unless you fall into one of their categories listed a company can not ask for a crb or as it is now known as dbs check, if you think the company should not be asking for a check you can now report them as they may well be breaking the data protection act, well that’s how I read it :sunglasses: :sunglasses: :sunglasses:

gov.uk/government/uploads/s … y_v2.2.pdf