Crash for cash

Anyone seen or experienced any of these ■■■■■■■■ first hand?

One tried to get me a couple of years ago, cutting infront of me and slamming on. Luckily I saw him coming and slammed on too, fortunately for me, with nobody behind me. He looked an idiot just sat there having clearly braked for no reason.

All the more reason to get a dashcam. If more people used them then these morons won’t be doing it much longer.

Bought a dash cam a couple of weeks ago, already recorded a couple of near misses. Not bad enough to warrant further action but close enough!

cufcmike:
Anyone seen or experienced any of these [zb] first hand?

One tried to get me a couple of years ago, cutting infront of me and slamming on. Luckily I saw him coming and slammed on too, fortunately for me, with nobody behind me. He looked an idiot just sat there having clearly braked for no reason.

The problem is though - even if such an event was witness at first hand by the police - who’s going to do anyone for “attempted Fraud”?

My suggestion is that all the time no one gets done for ATTEMPTING this kind of scam - they can only poliferate around the country…

For the rest of us - Make sure your Christmas stocking has got a decent dashcam in it. :wink:

Experienced one of these clowns twice on the same stretch of A1 a couple of years ago. Was driving for a different company each time but recognised the scrote.

talking to a recovery driver a couple of years ago and he said he and his mate were sitting in the lorry when a van went past stopped and reversed into him,the guy jumped out claiming whiplash,when they pointed out that the digitach would show them stationary when he hit [for any claim/court action]he jumped back in the van and sped off,they just sat there and wondered what the heck had just happened and started laughing,he was amazed when I explained the geezer done it for a crash for cash,he never heard of it until then

Never had to deal with an incident involving myself but I did see a guy in a mondeo cut up a BMW a year ago and slam on the anchors for no reason. Guy in mondeo was shouting about his car and that because she had run into the back of him,she was at fault. I offered to go witness and he then started threating me if I didn’t keep my nose out of it. 14 yrs on the doors of Glasgow means I’ve heard most of it before and I told him I wasn’t going anywhere till the police arrived. He then got in his car,shouted about how I better watch my back and sped off. Police arrivd and took a statement but I never heard any more about it. As a previous poster said,you cant be prosecuted for attempted fraud if no insurance claim is put in.

I think Harry Monk posted his experience here about it. Think they got arrested the other drivers.

Had one try it on the Oundle road at Thrapston end. He was waiting in the Layby and pulled out point blank. Fortunately I was empty and was anticipated it. I bought a dashcam next day off eBay for 15 quid. Never had it happen again so far

I would have thought you could get done for dangerous driving if you slammed on the anchors on any trunk road for no good reason. Of course you would need evidence which come back to a dashcam, and getting plod to persue it.

Secretelephant:
Of course you would need evidence which come back to a dashcam, and getting plod to persue it.

There’s the problem right there. Too much hassle for them when it’ll in all probability end up in nothing more serious than a “dont do it again” letter.
I can see a future where cars come with dashcam as standard. Pretty soon it’ll be compulsory to get any kind of decent insurance quote.