Crash/Eaton Twin Splitter....... OMG

4 speed gearbox,steering so heavy,it nearly broke your arms,

Remember where the stick was sited an all Ken!! I magine that nowadays! :laughing:

Hey Lucy !! with all that experience under your belt…were you not afraid of giving your age away…and i always thought you were 21…just goes to show that you cant beat the old days…sometimes…
have a nice day

Tiggz, the twin split is a great box as you have seen by everyones comments on here. I had a 14 litre 380 ■■■■■■■ on the front of my box, and it went together so well. Once you have got the hang of them, they are the fastest changing box in existence!!! If you go there again, have a look around for one of the older drivers and ask him to explain it to you!! The biggest mistake a lot of people make is NOT FULLY depressing the clutch when engaging a gear to pull away in. If you do this, you will feel a slight ‘click’ at the bottom of the travel. This is the clutch brake which slows the engine revs down and it will just slide into gear then… no crunching noises :o)

I would say the Volvo I-shift is the best i have ever driven put the stick in A and press the pedal could it be any easier?. By far the best gearbox I have ever driven with…

Eaton Twin Splitter, :smiley: once tasted never forgotten.
Used drive an MAN 362 with a one in, would “wee” all over my mates 385 F12, he might have had a touch on the power, but he could’nt catch those gog’s as quick, did’nt do a lot for the MPG{ lead boots}. It would make you feel like a true profesional, feeling your way through the box silently, part of the craft of wagon driving that is in most of us, when we are given the opurtunity. Auto shifts are very easy and technicaly advanced, but they dont have the same feeling about them.
Wondered why they seemed to have dropped by the wayside, to noisy for todays world, i think thats more Concorde logic, if ti works scrap it :open_mouth:
Well here’s to the twin splitter, may the “US of A” keep them singing for a long time to come.

I dont think the US of A have the twin splitter, they use a 13 and 15 speed fuller. a variation of the roadranger, which are in turn a 9 speed fuller box with overdrive.

I would honestly say a road ranger was a faster gearbox then a twin splitter, but not by a lot.

The advantage of a roadranger was that you didnt need to touch the clutch either to do quick changes

Wheel Nut:
I dont think the US of A have the twin splitter, they use a 13 and 15 speed fuller. a variation of the roadranger, which are in turn a 9 speed fuller box with overdrive.

I would honestly say a road ranger was a faster gearbox then a twin splitter, but not by a lot.

The advantage of a roadranger was that you didnt need to touch the clutch either to do quick changes

I did’nt realise there was such a big diference between the Twin Splitter and the Road Ranger, and in my experience you did’nt the clutch in the twin splitter once you are on the roll. But either way I think that a constant mesh box has advantages to the synchro box once you were used to it.
And if the Yanks hav’nt got the twin splitter where has it gone to, the skip of over looked good ideas.

Ironic, isn’t it? Back in the 60’s, even the sports cars you sold us had crappy non-synchro boxes…

BTW, if you want to see a really rudimentary gearbox, look at an old “chain gang” Nash…

Yes Alex, and we gave up that daft idea in the 70’s…

If my memory serves me right I think the closest gearbox to the Twin-splitter in the States was the Fuller “super ten”.I think you changed gear the same way but it only had the high/low split and not the high/intermediate/low split,hence the name “super ten” because you had five main gates for the stick.According to the manual you where supposed to pull the stick into neutral before flicking up into high spilt and then put the stick back into the same gate before splitting back to low before moving up another gate?
Allikat,
I think this gearbox was in the White GMC semi truck fleet no 199 owned by Cory at Altendorfs?

Doh, posted twice !!

I think the twin splitter is a horrible gearbox. It ranks alongside the Mercedes teligent contraption.

And why I hate tehm, they are too ■■■■ slow to change gear, and whn starting off up hill fully freighted in a low gear, the ■■■■ revs never die off quick enough for it to change gear before you stop rolling !!! :smiling_imp: :smiling_imp:

I have ended up crawling up hills in bottom cogh too many times with a twin splitter, and come very close in that stupid mercedes thing.

Give me a proper gearbox that I can use a clutch and man handle it into gear any day thanks !! :laughing: :laughing:

It seems as though there is a big difference of opinions on here about quick changes.

The Eaton Fuller is and always will be the fastest changing box, you only need to lift the throttle to change a gear. on a box you can preselect the the next gear. with a road ranger you had to leave the switch alone until you needed the change.

The Twin Splitter was used as the SAMT (semi automatic manual transmission) in an ERF 10 years before an EPS (click click slow) was used.

Auto boxes are fine on an open road, they cannot see whats ahead though and if you are on a undulating switchback type of road, you will end up in the wrong gear :confused:

Constant mesh will always be faster than synchromesh because you dont have to allow synchro cones and baulk rings to match the speed of the spinning cogs. IMHO of course

Twin splitters and Fullers for the professional driver and the synchros and autos for t’others eh? :smiley:

I agree with the auto boxes. They are useless in a car unless you have a decent sized engine, so I can see them being worse than useless in a fully freighted lorry in a hilly area !!.

Tiggz, when changing down the box the first thing to do is slow down.
You need to get your speed down, so that the revs are in the bottom half of the green band. Then bring the splitter switch down a cog, then rev the engine up gently to bring the revs up about 250rpm or so, it should just drop in. As the gear drops in you might feel a slight lurch, that is when to floor it. Don’t just plant the go pedal on the floor, the revs come up too quickly and jump the sweet spot, so you find one of those 12 neutrals that Lucy mentioned :open_mouth: :laughing: .
Idealy you want someone who knows the box to take you out for half an hour. That will be more than enough to get you on the right lines.

leehellcat, all you had to do, on that fully freighted hill start was to use the gearbox brake. That is the last inch of travel on the clutch pedal. Just exactly the same as a normal gearchange but using the clutch and popping it in and out of that last bit of travel.

jammymutt:
the day i have to be taught how to use a gearbox is the day i stop driving trucks ( no offence meant tiggz)!!!.

Shame on you Jammy :open_mouth: . The number of times we tell Newbies “If you don’t know, ask”. Here you are saying that you are scared to ask :open_mouth: :laughing: .

I have been thinking about another gearbox that was awful to use.

It was a 9 speed spicer, Im sure I had that one in my Berliet / Saviem. It was like a 9 speed fuller roadranger but an absolute pig to use.

Did they put them in a Seddon Atki 300 as well?

Like many has said and it’s like anything, once you master it an know what it’s about then you’ll have alot of fun.

Jammy, i did enjoy driving the volvo i-shift, it was a top truck. I missed the actual driving aspect though. It’s nice to sit and have it all done for you, but now i’m back driving the a full box it’s like i’m back to reality and really enjoying it again.

If the opportunity came up where there was someone who was willing to have an eager pupil at there side then i’d certainly give it another go…part of the learning curve

I’ve actually gotten to quite like constant mesh boxes. Especially the roadranger, which is common as muck over here. The twin-splitter was always a favorite of mine.

Did no-one teach you the bunny-hop change for the twinsplit?
You just flip the switch, yank the lever out of gear and shove it straight back in again. Simple eh?

allikat:
Did no-one teach you the bunny-hop change for the twinsplit?
You just flip the switch, yank the lever out of gear and shove it straight back in again. Simple eh?

Nobody showed her nuffink, Allikat.

Being as she got there and back, in one piece, all-be-it with the gear box singing all the way :laughing: , I reckon she did OK.
If I read it right, The only “teaching” Tiggz got, was reading about how to drive them, on posts in here. That was quite some time back. She probably read that thread, thought ‘OMG I hope I don’t get one of those’ and promptly forgot all about it, as you do. :smiley:

Wheel Nut:
Twin splitters and Fullers for the professional driver and the synchros and autos for t’others eh? :smiley:

Couldn’t have put it better myself!

These people that say the Twin Splitter is a slow change must be either doing it wrong or driving a wagon with a duff gearbox.

I would say you could get through the whole gearbox in less than 30 seconds. (For a twin splitter thats a change every 2.5 seconds)