Crap week!

After a pretty good year with this truck its all started to go wrong at once. Heading down through CT on Sunday my intercooler hose blew off due to one of the clamps rusting and snapping off. That wasn’t much of an issue but at the same time the aircon stopped working, possibly due to the bang caused by the intercooler hose as its all in the same place? If it wasn’t bad enough that I then had to continue on to Kentucky in sweltering heat with both windows down, then my bloody fridge packed in and all the food I bought the day before in Walmart made its way to the bin. So then followed days of driving with the windows down, having no food in the truck worth eating and spending a fortune in truckstops to eat. The truck is going in to freightliner on Friday, until then I’ll be praying for cold weather for the first time in my life.

Wind the clock back and start again mate :frowning:
Is that a proper household fridge or a big truck fridge such as a Coleman ? I have one of those and about a year ago I noticed it stopped working properly and food didn’t stay cold, I took the fan cover off, removed the fan and vacumed all the crap from behind it, it then worked normally. As for the A/C I got one of those kits from the Pilot once and a leak sealant canister/ refil. belive it or not it actually worked, mind you that was on my old Columbia, my Cascadia has been recharged, it has no leaks … touch wood.

and i thought i was having a bad week

Pat Hasler:
Wind the clock back and start again mate :frowning:
Is that a proper household fridge or a big truck fridge such as a Coleman ?

Its the standard factory fitted Dometic one that comes with the Cascadia if specced so. I’ll let freightliner sort it out this weekend, the truck is actually rented from them on a week to week basis so they’re usually keen to sort things on it for fear that if they don’t the truck will be thrown back at them as its not exactly the cheapest way to have a truck. The fridge had been working more or less fine but when I awoke on Monday morning I noticed it would power on, hum away for 30 or so seconds, power off, then a second later power on, hum away for 30 seconds and power off, and do this continuously and everything had totally thawed out as its producing no cold whatsoever.

Currently sitting just outside Montreal with both windows down, enjoying the slight breeze coming through the cab and wondering when to wonder over to the poxy A&W to dine on some greasy crap for $10 or more. ■■■■■■ fridge!

taffytrucker:
and i thought i was having a bad week

I’m just waiting for the night heater to pack in next. If theres 3 things a truck must have to keep me happy its working air-con, a fridge and a night heater. I know its not exactly cold any more but I hate waking up in the morning with that cold dampness in the cab so I tend to use my heater well in to spring on a low setting so that it kicks in to prevent that.

Softy … I switch everything off this time of year unless it gets unbearable with temps.

Pat Hasler:
Softy … I switch everything off this time of year unless it gets unbearable with temps.

Surprisingly I’m parked in a little truckstop here and theres a typical battered US registered Columbia parked next to me from Indiana, the sort of truck that would usually be idling 24/7 with all sorts of things rattling, making life a misery for any one parked near by…but no, he’s got his engine off and windows down just like me. It could be to do with the big sign saying no idling but that’s only between certain hours and its written in French any way.

I usually ignore the ‘NO IDLING’ signs if I am in the cab. It’s supposedly a huge fine for idling under any cicumstances in NJ, but If it’s hot or very cold and I am in the cab it’s gonna run. I find most state troopers sympathise with truck drivers when it comes to this law, it’s local town cops and sheriffs who are nasty.

robinhood_1984:

Pat Hasler:

Surprisingly I’m parked in a little truckstop here and theres a typical battered US registered Columbia parked next to me from Indiana, the sort of truck that would usually be idling 24/7 with all sorts of things rattling, making life a misery for any one parked near by…but no, he’s got his engine off and windows down just like me. It could be to do with the big sign saying no idling but that’s only between certain hours and its written in French any way.

Ah a shaged out motor usualy a freightshaker or international that would make a vosa official think its christmas if such a heap hit the road in britain.
And everyone here thinks everyone drives a blinged up peterbilt :smiley:

They are so laughable here regarding some conditions of trucks and cars etc. I see cars with entire sills missing because they have completely rotted away and they pass inspection :open_mouth:
I see some trucks with half the front fender (wings) missing and headlamps just bolted to some shreaded fiberglass :laughing: Having a missing front bumper seems very acceptable, yet I got a ticket last year for a stone chip in the windshield :open_mouth:

kr79:
And everyone here thinks everyone drives a blinged up peterbilt :smiley:

Some of us do :sunglasses:

My night heater packed up at the start of the winter, so I used the big 15 litre one :laughing: That’s ok in winter when it’s super cold, but just this week it dipped down to 3c overnight and I woke up cold, so I put my new night heater on…and it didn’t work :cry: So the big 15 litre heater went on (much to my neighbour’s annoyance :smiling_imp: ) and I woke up sweating like a scouser at a job fair about three hours later when the outside temperature had risen to 17c :cry:

Got a stone chip in my screen this week, two actually, it was debatable if it would need a new screen…until it cracked from top to bottom as I was ‘cleaning’ my windows when I got back to the yard last night :sunglasses: Having four days off now, plenty of time for them to sort it all out :wink:

Ive got a volvo with a check engine light on (story of my life)
Four a day hackney to pitsea now thats living the dream lol.
Still the pubs calling now

I’m at home for the weekend and the truck is down at Freightliner. Whether or not anything will actually be fixed when I go to collect it is another matter.

Complete result it would seem. Brand new fridge and new A/C unit on the motor!

Not too shabby.

I like the fridge :slight_smile:

After leaving home on Sunday evening for a 3hr drive down to Moncton for a monday morning tip my a/c stopped working within the hour! Came back to the yard and took it back up to freightliner on Monday night and lost another days earning potential and they this time diagnosed it as a faulty sensor, which they’ve replaced and its now appearing to work again. Now heading bobtail down to Virginia to pick up a new trailer so hope it doesn’t pack in again down there! Bloody trucks!

Bloody mechanics more like :unamused:

They don’t diagnose anything, they don’t fix anything, they just keep throwing parts at the problem until it fixes it :unamused:

newmercman:

They don’t diagnose anything, they don’t fix anything, they just keep throwing parts at the problem until it fixes it :unamused:

I have said this for along time you don’t get a good Mechanic anymore they are just fitters :laughing: :laughing: they don’t like it if you tell them that mind I did and had to exit workshop rather Quickly with a snap on spanner Following close behind :laughing: :open_mouth:

gibb0:

newmercman:

I have said this for along time you don’t get a good Mechanic anymore they are just fitters :laughing: :laughing: they don’t like it if you tell them that mind I did and had to exit workshop rather Quickly with a snap on spanner Following close behind :laughing: :open_mouth:

Spanner? You sure it wasn’t a plug in laptop cable :laughing: :cry: