Cracks, chips on the windscreen

Hi Chaps

Does anyone of you know when a cracked, chipped windscreen needs to be replaced to satisfy the law and the VOSA man?

Thanks

The answer should be easy to google, but generally if the damage is within the sweep of the drivers side wiper sever enough to potentially Impare their view then the vehicle is defective. Small chips however tend to be left alone until they can be repaired during service

Yes to that section swept by the wipers, chips in the section of the screen described by the outside of the steering wheel from top to dash should be free from chips over a certain size, best to have none there really, cracks outside the swept zone i was always under the impression were ok until they reached from one edge to the other.

Juddian:
cracks outside the swept zone i was always under the impression were ok until they reached from one edge to the other.

When the window falls through? If it looks bad I write it down. Not yet had to refuse to go out because of windscreen.

often thought of taping a frozen chip to the windscreen and going into a windscreen place to tell them I have a chip on the windscreen,dont know if they would see the funny side though

so,from what I see now one really knows, what are the legal requirements.
I was once told any cheap within the width of the steering wheel, and I’ve also heard something about cracks can’t touch the windscreen seal, bur not sure about that.
I’ve done google search as suggested but can’t find anything.

Chip and Crack Repair Prices
£60 (excl VAT) for the first chip on the screen
£10 (excl VAT) for an additional chips on the screen in the same visit.
£10 (excl VAT) for our lifetime warranty.
£10 (excl VAT) surcharge for re-repairing another companies mess.
£35 (excl VAT) Admiral, Direct Line, UK Ins Group policyholders ( this is not a booked appointment, you wait till we are next in your area )

Scratch Repair Repair Prices
£70-£120 (excl VAT) for polishing scratches (minimum of £100 for front screen)

Additional windscreen chip repair costs
include £10 for working at height ( coaches 4×4 cars and vans ) and a charge for £40/hour for any unnecessary waiting caused by waiting for order numbers, keyholders, keys, authority/authorization documents or attending company safety sessions or briefings. We also charge £10 for call outs that are unrepairable due to incorrectly described damage particularly previously repaired chips regardless of whether the customer knew whether they were previously repaired or not. If you book us to do your job we make time in our diary for you on that day. This means we may turn other jobs away so we can get to you or structure other calls around your job. If you book us and then decide later that you wish to cancel because your insurance company has said you can only use the nominated supplier or for some other reason then a £30 cancellation charge may be levied for windscreen chip repair costs.

glassdoctors.co.uk/windscreen-repair/prices/

The MOT
For the purposes of the annual MOT test, whether a vehicle with a cracked windscreen will be passed as roadworthy depends on the location and size of the damage. The area directly in front of the driver, known as the A-zone, is the most critical part of the windscreen element of the MOT. This area, which is 290mm wide and in line vertically with the steering column, must not have any damage greater than 10mm across. An instant MOT failure is the likely outcome in this situation.
On the rest of the windscreen, damage must not exceed 40mm.
Clearly, waiting for the next scheduled MOT is not sensible if your vehicle suffers a cracked windscreen. Damage, especially in the A-zone, may mean the driver’s vision is impaired, increasing the possibility of an accident involving other vehicles or pedestrians. In this situation, if driving with a defective windscreen, the vehicle’s owner would potentially face accusations of improper maintenance.

thewindscreenco.co.uk/news/l … indscreen/

truckman020:
often thought of taping a frozen chip to the windscreen and going into a windscreen place to tell them I have a chip on the windscreen,dont know if they would see the funny side though

I one went into the local car spares place and asked the dimwit girl behind the counter for a radiator for a 1970’s VW Beetle. :smiley:

had a truck come back from having it’s mot last week, I picked it up from the garage and there were 3 chips drivers side all in the wiper sweep, and the works transit has a crack about 6 inch on the passenger side from the edge inwards, has its mot.

maybe the boss is just friends with the mot guys, i’ll have to ask him when my ■■■■■■ van goes in.

If a chip is straight in front of your eyes stick a sat nav on it. See a lot of cars drivers with the sat nav right in front of thier noses driving happily along unmolested.

Numbum:
If a chip is straight in front of your eyes stick a sat nav on it. See a lot of cars drivers with the sat nav right in front of thier noses driving happily along unmolested.

Yea, what’s that all about ?
& they’re only commuting 2 miles from home to work to home to work to home-----la la la------ [emoji57]

So far, The most professional advice has been provided by immigrant, but anyone reading posts on this forum would be forgiven for thinking immigrants are of no use, and if anything anywhere goes wrong the driver must an immigrant or a flip flop.
So far the most experienced drivers on this forum, true blue British drivers I must add, have been keeping the correct answer to themselves, as I have no doubt they know what the law requires, or am I kidding myself? :wink: