Cracked mirror

One of our drivers was stopped by vosa yesterday, early that morning the mirror was hit with a branch that was sitting out from the hedge, it cracked the mirror and took a small v piece out of it, you could still see behind and wasn’t that badly smashed.
He got 3 points on his license and a 60 pound fine, they told him he should have carried a spare :astonished: he tried to reason with them but they weren’t listening, he said the guy was far from friendly and seemed happy to flex his power.
Surely this is pure nit picking and easy money, this particular driver is very honest and does everything to the best of his ability and his morale is now damaged by some glorified :imp: â– â– â– â– 

FFS what planet are these morons on…, carry spares…you might as well carry spares for anything if that was the case… or is it a case of VOSA yet again just trying to gum up the works and shaft the hauliers, delaying deliveries and expecting road side repairs 24 /7

Don’t them morons realise that parts arnt always carried in stock by the local repairers and at night… think we go more money than sense…

Personally…VOSA should have logged it and requested a producer notice within 24 hrs at any Test Centre…thus giving time for it to be repaired, Certainly you need to send a stiff letter to them and make a formal complaint.

I have often questioned about carrying a few pairs but then at what point do we go from being drivers to repairers…certainly makes me think about having a spare pair of stick on mirror lenses for that just in case moment…

Didn’t think they did £60 penalties anymore. Any endorsable penalty is £100. Think this might be a case of MMTM your colleague had you believing.

page 37-38 here shows fixed penalties for mirror offences, none of them carry a £60 fine and none of them are endorsable.

tachograph:
page 37-38 here shows fixed penalties for mirror offences, none of them carry a £60 fine and none of them are endorsable.

So the OP’s colleague is not being honest. He may have a £60 penalty with no points (likely) or a £100 penalty with 3 points (highly unlikely)
Maybe his colleague is confused from the concussion he sustained when he stormed the balcony :wink:

Is there a appeals system? Id go at them with the regs that taco linked.

Its in N. Ireland though and all fixed penalties come with a £60 fine.
Boss is contacting the traffic commissioners office in the morning and looking to appeal.
Is there laid down legislation which states you must carry a mirror

Hi im from n ireland im just back from a tacograph course today the fella teaching us was head boy in vosa here now retired. Well its not vosa here. He was telling us everything bout it. He says they dont come down light on you

It’s a load of BS, the only way you can get points is from a magistrate or a fixed penalty notice for an offence which has been captured on camera (speeding or going through a red light) other than that it has to go to magistrate’s court.

newmercman:
It’s a load of BS, the only way you can get points is from a magistrate or a fixed penalty notice for an offence which has been captured on camera (speeding or going through a red light) other than that it has to go to magistrate’s court.

Rubbish. Police can issue endorsable fixed penalties without aby camera involvement for Speeding, Careless driving, Driving on hard shoulder, using mobile phone while driving, parking on pedestrian crossing etc. If you opt to pay the Fixed Penalty then you get points and it goes nowhere near a Magistrates Court.

That is true, but the key word is Police. I am on my phone so economic with my typing, should have put that bit in about the Police myself. The point I was making was that other than the Police, the only other way of getting points id from a magistrate. I knew what I meant anyway :laughing:

Roymondo:

newmercman:

Rubbish. Police can issue endorsable fixed penalties.

And the point of the thread was that the OP’s colleague got 3 points from VOSA.
It just all sounds BS to me (not the OP but his colleague)

You have a defence to most con & use offences in that it has happened on that journey and you have taken steps to rectify it. ie the light was working when I set off. The bulb must have. Blown. The mirror was fine when I set off, just clipped a branch, contacted the office, new one ordered. Going to tape it up at next rest period. Dont accept the ticket, go to court. NFA

Jezza1961:
Going to tape it up at next rest period.

I do hope you wouldn’t tell the VOSA man that you were planning on working on your vehicle while on Rest or Break!!

Good point, make that ‘when I next stop, just before my next rest period, sir’ lol

… while tugging your forelock in a deferential manner, no doubt :wink: