Crack on to macon the return

Harry Robinson ran a fleet of trucks from two locations one in
Hackney next to the dog track where he had a cold store and one in
Speedwell Street Deptford and later moved into OHS old yard in
rainham essex he did both national and international work with a fleet
comprising mostly of Scanias. he had three sides to the company
Robinsons Hauliers, Coward Freight International, and a wharehousing
company called Inter Euro Cargo Sevices the latter of which was run by Caroline Grover Harry was fun to work for and Caroline could handle
the most difficult of drivers (including me) very well indeed and
the company with ease and expertise she was loved by all the drivers.
some old names from those days
Bob Cairns
Johnny Morgan
Vic Dillon
Billy Peacocck
Tony Warner
Barry Cleaver
Stevie Smith ( smudger)
Mickey Anderson
Billy Abrahams
Mick Hutchings
Stevie Collins
Nikki Constandi (Nick the Greek)
Tony Salsese
Mickey Shone
Jeff Atkins
Norman Le Raines (oop north)
Mickey Barr
Tommy (Liverpool)
Ray the S.A.S MAN
Harry Robinson is in his seventies now and living in Spain and is well.
unfortunatly Caroline Grover died in April last year after a long battle with cancer aged 59 she is missed by all who knew her.

this is my old girl B999YVW she was the worst Scania i have ever driven
for pulling power but she was so reliable it was untrue. :unamused: :unamused: :unamused:

Wheel Nut:
Some nice old pictures there and good tales.

Keep them coming, especially if you have any of us lads from oop north

I was in a pub with a driver the other night. His father owned Central Freight from Nottingham. He was amazed that I remembered them :stuck_out_tongue:

Wasn’t that the outfit where a lagered-up lad got shot dead by an off duty Dogganna in Prato one night. The lad in question was cruising in his unit & had to stop for a private motorist .The lad grabbed a fake gun & ran towards the car .Unfortunately the driver of the car was an off duty customs officer who was also tooled up but was using live ammo. One shot & it was all over. There was two drivers in the truck & had been on the rampage all night. Sad thing when you come to think of it. Somebody on here might have the full story…?

what happened that night was that the Central Freight driver whos name i cant remember was parked in the square and he had a pal with him who was not a driver they had a argument with a guy in a car who was cruising round over what im not sure the central freight driver pulled out a replica pistol and pointed
it at the guy and told him to (zb) off which the guy did is what they did not know was that he was a prison guard who went home got his own gun went back to
the square and opened fire on the two guys the central driver was not hit but his mate was hit and killed and i believe the driver disappeared and went on the run it was all later resolved with the Italien getting 15 years in prison
because it was premeditated murder now there are all sorts of stories going
about concerning that night but thats how it was told to me by two central freight drivers who i have known a long time and would believe them before
any body else, now im not judging any body but to point guns replica or not
any where in the world is foolhardy especially in Italy where guns are two
a penny.

wasn’t the driver killed Jamie Fox?

Crack on, I’ve just thought on another thread I asked about Banbury Buildings drivers from the early 70’s one of them I last saw in Dover and was driving for Unitruck, about 1986, his name was Davey Bennoy, (spelling) anyone know of his whereabouts, If you know him ask him about the time he drove in the ditch between Southam and Banbury, ha ha!!

CRACK ON TO MACON

These are the facts : They were both young drivers ; driver A had a bit of form as a rabble rouser ;driver B was a bit younger ; they went out in driver A’s unit to cruise for hookers in Prato ( well lagered up ) They fancied a ■■■■■■ at the same time as the doggana in his off-duty car. Words & threats were exchanged & the local lad friends outnumbered the lads from Notts. A ‘drives back to the parking lot .B’ says ‘Lets go in my unit & they won’t recognize us. V.bright ,except for the fact that the only thing diff. was the number plate. They cruise & by pure chance doggana man cuts ‘em off at a narrow x road in town. B’ grabs a toy gun & advances on doggana who shoots & runs .B’ killed instantly . A’ leaves the cab & is fired on by doggana but runs to the back of the cab unhurt. Dog’ runs away. A’ rips out a fence pole & demolishes Dogs car. Later A’ has death threats to himself & his wife & child from the family of B’.
How do I know this…? A’ told the story to me his self.

well im not gonna get in a argument about this but i am going by what i believe to be what happened told to me by two guys i have known for a long time
there is always twists and turns with stories like this and as i dont know you personally and you have in the past been wrong with posts you have put on this website i wiil go with what i have been told. and it seems a bit strange that on your other post you asked if anybody out there had the full story and then all of a sudden you have got it first hand from the driver himself and i quote
"how do i know this? A told me himself " :unamused: :unamused: :unamused: :unamused: :unamused: :unamused:

I was fishing. Its always nice to hear another side. But it is agreed that a driver from Central Freight in Notts. was shot & killed in Prato by an off duty lawman. I only heard the story from the guy involved & would like to know any other versions of the tale. I mean ,why would he recieve death threats from the deceased family…? Had he got previous…?

well you been fishing mate and i think you caught a cold, and i aint gonna say no more about this as its boring me :unamused: :unamused: :unamused: :unamused: :unamused: :unamused: :unamused:

crack on, superb pictures, please get more up sharpish!!

euromat:
crack on, superb pictures, please get more up sharpish!!

"yes sir"gonna scan some more tommorow for you all glad you like them
i got 42 packs of pics here so there is plenty more to come :wink: :wink:

Excellent pictures Sir keep em coming !! great to see peoples personal pictures rather than ones from other web sites.Having grew up in Plaistow all the usual haunts around the east end and Dagenham/Rainham bring back a lot of memories .

You are dead right Crack On re guns being two a penny in Italia. About 1973 I purchased a Birreta and 50 rounds of ammo in a bar in Milano for 25 quid. Carried it around for about a month and resold it to a Dutchman in Lyon for 40 pounds.Glad to be shot of it (Excuse the pun) :laughing: :laughing:

charlie one:
You are dead right Crack On re guns being two a penny in Italia. About 1973 I purchased a Birreta and 50 rounds of ammo in a bar in Milano for 25 quid. Carried it around for about a month and resold it to a Dutchman in Lyon for 40 pounds.Glad to be shot of it (Excuse the pun) :laughing: :laughing:

while we are on this subject im sure that most of you who
did Italy will have been in Carisio at some time, and will fondly
remember the old boy who used to park you up and carried a revolver.
i always ended up arguing with him as he always wanted to park me
where i knew i would get blocked in during the night and then would
not be able to leave early the next morning, well he was quite a character
and apparently had fought with the Italien partisans against Mussolini
and the Germans as a young man during the last world war.
well this particular night he was having some banter with the lads
outside in the lorry park and took his (loaded) pistol from its holster
and was swinging it round his finger gunfighter style when it went of
and he shot himself in the foot he dropped the gun on the floor and
yes you guessed right it went of again he was hopping round the car park
drivers were running around trying to get out of the way and two ladies of the
night left that car park like a rocket the second round hit a Dutchmans truck
and after the chaos had gone he was taken to hospital and when he was better he got his job back but minus the revolver. but there was still a problem
some quick thinking driver had snaffled the revolver and dissapeared with it
never to be seen again and the Police went mad and were searching
lorries and drivers all that evening but it was fruitless. when i look back on it now it was hillarious but at the time just a tad scary. :laughing: :laughing:

:smiley: :smiley: Hi again Bob, I took your advice and looked at your second site, it was really great mate, so many of the old faces, Johnny Whitbread, theres a sight for sore eyes, Barry Cleaver, last time I saw him he was on for Alberti Santi, working with Fred ( Carrott Fred) I hope they’re all still alive and kicking. What about some of the others that we all knew.
Ray Larcombe Ronnie Hunt Jimmy Smeath
Johnny Dodge Ronnie Evans Billy Moore
John Cain (Smurf) Tony Warner Alan Warner
Chris Hollands Bobby Cairns (Driver?) Geordie Mick****

**** Marie and Roger at Jayat, used to let this lad cook Roast Beef and Yorkshie Puds, for us all on Sundays.

Such really good days and such really good blokes, who would stop if you were at the side of the road in bother nowdays?? Let alone put on the kettle. Or is my memory playing tricks on me.
Archie.

well mate sadly Billy Moore and Ronnie Evans are both dead all the rest
are alive as far as i know i see Ronnie Hunt from time to time and
he comes to the reunions we have at Christmas and still runs a few motors
Ray Larcombe i have been told aint to well the ■■■■ have caught up with him, Geordie Mick now he was a character and a half nice bloke as well but
i aint got a clue where he is now, last time i saw smurfi he was working
on unaccompanied trailers out of Dartford Docks but that was about 8 years
ago, Archie go to to topic (Italien Drivers Reunion Photos) im sure you will see lots of old buddies on that one its on page 5 :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Hi again Bob, Just spoke to Nick, he was in Napoli, he sends his regards and asks if you are slim enough to get under that stepframe to do your own repairs yet. Can’t find how to view those pictures yet, but I shall.
Archie

CRACK ON TO MACON:

Collisons Brescia Italy 1989…

Crack On…as already stated, brilliant pics and memories from a different age, but one question…WTF WHERE YOU LOADING THERE■■? :open_mouth:

It looks like a load of busted glass and scrap metal!!!

Nice CLEAN trousers your mate has got on though!!! :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

I guess he got stuck into stripping up the tilt then!!! :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :wink:

Looks like scrap ally to me. your right about them trousers though :smiley: :smiley:

well you are right it is scrap Aluminium it used to load at some place
in Biggleswade you had to fold the sheet back then they boarded
the sides out with plyboard and then just poured it in, when you got to this dump in Brescia you opened both sides and they removed the plyboard
and then pushed and pulled it out if you look at the photo carefully at the back of the trailer you can actually see the ram in the trailer. it was a dirty dusty
wet orrible place but there was normally other drivers there and you all helped each other out with the trailers. yeah me mate was a bit shocked about the
whole episode and kept clean coz i told him to keep out of the way as it
is safer in Baghdad than in there :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: . it did not put him of though
as he is still driving now. :open_mouth: