CPCs, where do I start

Hello all, hopeing to start a new carrier in driving hgvs , I have a class 2 licence since 2008 but not used it, am 51 years old
looking for part time work in the west wales area. am ex military( 28 years so far) would like to get a foot in the door until
I reach 55 then go full time. I know I need cpc,s and a new medical, but how much are cpc moduals and how long do they last for, any and all advice greatly accepted.
:smiley:

Hi, and welcome to the forum. You need to complete 35 hours of periodic training. Once completed, this will run for 5 years. The training is often classroom based and there is no pass/fail. Expect to pay between ÂŁ250 and ÂŁ450 for the lot.

You will find trainers here jaupt.org.uk/course-search

There are some courses that carry “cpc credits”. Typically these can be ADR, HIAB or driving courses eg CE. The amount of time to be gained this way varies and you should talk to training providers to see what is on offer. Note that not all ADR, HIAB and CE courses are delivered by cpc approved trainers and so these will give no credits.

You could go down the initial driver cpc route. This is pass/fail. Two parts: case studies test (aka Mod 2) at a theory test centre and a practical demonstration test (aka Mod 4) with the vehicle. This test involves no driving. Its all about safe loading, illegal immigration, drug trafficking, vehicle checks. The only problem for you with this route is that it is not yet recognised by DVLA automatically. So you have to contact them before they realise you are eligible for the two tests. This can cause a delay and, for this reason, I don’t recommend it.

Just out of interest, if you fancy doing your CE with us, you get cpc completely free of charge (all 35 hours).

Hope this helps, Pete :laughing: :laughing:

thanks for the propt answer, do i need a new medical for my licence as I am now 51 ■■?

thanks for the propt answer, do i need a new medical for my licence as I am now 51 ■■?

If you haven’t had one lately, you’ll need one. Check the expiry date on your licence; it probably expired when you were 45. To get it back you need to send a completed medical report form D4 (download from net) with your current licence and a D2 licence application.

You will need to present your licence for either Mods 2 and 4 OR for periodic training so do this as soon as you can. Most doctors offer the service as do some trainers.

Peter,

hope you can answer this one.

i am in the process of beginning to think about my first hours of CPC. I am a bit reluctant to do the classroom training as have seen some sceptical comments about its value. So the questions is what are the options of practical training towards CPC? you mentiond HIAB and ADR, (and CE but that is not relevant now :slight_smile: ).

just to help you understand my thinking process: any advanced driving courses? any specific courses like powder tanker load/unload, load securing…

thanks in advance

Thanks peter again for your promp answer, my licence for cat C says early 2018, so do I need medical ■■?

John3764:
Thanks peter again for your promp answer, my licence for cat C says early 2018, so do I need medical ■■?

That is when the medical runs out

Have you had a licence issued since October 2012 :question:

John3764:

DVLA will prob send you a reminder about it so don’t worry to much about that

Can the military not help with the CPC on resettlement for you :question:

Already answered correctly - - NO.

Pete :laughing: :laughing:

In our case we can offer ADR with 28 hours of cpc. Or a day of defensive/fuel efficient driving with 7 hours. Sadly this is uncommon because of the cost which is relatively high.

You can find other courses at jaupt.org.uk/course-search

My guess is that the OP got C in 2008 at age 44 then in 2013 at age 49 they changed the photo which meant they got the free 5 years making it 2018 age 54

AM I RIGHT :question:

cheers guys, for all the advice , only been a member for a few days and got the info and clarification I needed to crack on, so to sumerise, my licence is good till 2018 , all I need now are some cpcs and a digital card , is that right.

John3764:
cheers guys, for all the advice , only been a member for a few days and got the info and clarification I needed to crack on, so to sumerise, my licence is good till 2018 , all I need now are some cpcs and a digital card , is that right.

YUP :smiley:

Is this what happened …

ROG:
My guess is that the OP got C in 2008 at age 44 then in 2013 at age 49 they changed the photo which meant they got the free 5 years making it 2018 age 54

AM I RIGHT :question:

I think so dude :smiley: :laughing: :stuck_out_tongue: :grimacing: cheers