CPC

I have over heard some drivers say the CPC is to be scrapped in 2014 - Is this true ?
My company pay for it - done 14 hrs so far more next week… but classroom - Yawn
Interesting and a refresher day here and there (I passed nearly 6 yrs ago) and maybe somebody with me in the cab (Nights) ok but I am losing overtime and a day in the week.
Have to swap from Nights then day off then onto days the the following day on nights - worn out… Ha

Can’t ever see that being scrapped…it’s another cash cow.

luv26t:
I have over heard some drivers say the CPC is to be scrapped in 2014 - Is this true ?

No.

Wishful thinking.

It’s only going to be scrapped for ex-SAS drivers. 100% true.

it’ll cost the Gov too much to do a U turn

It will cost the government nothing to scrap it because its cost them nothing to start it. They aren’t that interested in it, that’s obvious by the way it’s being run. At best, due to the lack of uptake, the start date may be extended or, like the WTD it won’t be policed that strongly. Just my opinion.

Slackbladder:
It will cost the government nothing to scrap it because its cost them nothing to start it. They aren’t that interested in it, that’s obvious by the way it’s being run. At best, due to the lack of uptake, the start date may be extended or, like the WTD it won’t be policed that strongly. Just my opinion.

There’s money to be made in both fines and course approval fees so I think it will be policed.

Where the option of a FPN is on the table then it will be enforced

Do not carry DQC = FPN then if the database is checked and found that the required training has not been done then its up to £1000 fine for the driver and the operator

Its a box ticked in the safety on the roads theme currently on the agenda due to cyclists and (construction usually) lorries sharing the same roadspace with predictable results.

‘‘we’re teaching lorry drivers to look out for cyclists and be professional, until the DCPC came along and we experts taught them they hadn’t a clue, everything is wonderful now, that’ll be £300’’ kerching

Nothing to do with UK Govt. It’s EU Legislation. Will they scrap EU Drivers’ Hours too■■?

Best not to listen to loud drivers who say ‘They are gonna scrap/extend Driver CPC’…no, no, no!!! They ain’t - ALL the big companies won’t be best pleased if it even gets extended - they’ve programmed all their drivers to do 35 hours on schedule i.e. been compliant.
Official comment from Govt./Traffic Commisioner about a year ago along the lines of…‘There’s no benefit to extending DCPC deadlines - all this will achieve is the drivers & companies not doing it, will not be doing it for longer, and so on and so on!!!’ Good point really!!!

Juddian:
Its a box ticked in the safety on the roads theme currently on the agenda due to cyclists and (construction usually) lorries sharing the same roadspace with predictable results.

‘‘we’re teaching lorry drivers to look out for cyclists and be professional, until the DCPC came along and we experts taught them they hadn’t a clue, everything is wonderful now, that’ll be £300’’ kerching

Total horlicks of course but well done on shoehorning another dig at cyclists into a thread.
Estimates I’ve heard vary from 20% to 25% of drivers so far completed. If that’s the case there is little chance of all that require it getting through in time. What then?

Those that ain’t done it will be hoping the DCPC gets scrapped but for those that have it already roll on Sep 14.

so if a driver does not complete the 35hrs by sept 2014 and the employer lays him off would that be seen by the benefits office as self dismissal ? because what if your employer wont pay for the training and you cant afford to pay the fee yourself ?

I very much doubt it will be scrapped, and I think it’s going to be enforced not just by fining the driver, but penalties for the operator that will seriously affect their OCRS score, which means their trucks targeted for more roadside checks and possibly an invite for tea with thier TC. :open_mouth: these type of penalties means an operator has really got to think hard before letting a driver without a DCPC out on the road after September.

If loads of drivers don’t have it by September I don’t know what the UK government might do about it? Maybe give drivers a fixed period to get their DCPC, after being stopped without a card, but don’t count on it.

As for employment rights, would be the same as not having a medical or losing a licence, I think it could be argued that the drivers actions or inaction has made them unemployable as an HGV driver.

The best idea of what might happen is find out what has happened to the coach and bus industry as they have needed theirs since this September.

Juddian:

Apparently coach drivers are currently being fined £50

muckles:
I very much doubt it will be scrapped, and I think it’s going to be enforced not just by fining the driver, but penalties for the operator that will seriously affect their OCRS score, which means their trucks targeted for more roadside checks and possibly an invite for tea with thier TC. :open_mouth: these type of penalties means an operator has really got to think hard before letting a driver without a DCPC out on the road after September.

If loads of drivers don’t have it by September I don’t know what the UK government might do about it? Maybe give drivers a fixed period to get their DCPC, after being stopped without a card, but don’t count on it.

As for employment rights, would be the same as not having a medical or losing a licence, I think it could be argued that the drivers actions or inaction has made them unemployable as an HGV driver.

The best idea of what might happen is find out what has happened to the coach and bus industry as they have needed theirs since this September.

I agree…we can see from this thread viewtopic.php?f=2&t=107381 that the PCV Drivers are on the whole compliant…more than 99% of drivers checked out had DQC, or so the figures would suggest!!!

Daz1970:

muckles:

I agree…we can see from this thread viewtopic.php?f=2&t=107381 that the PCV Drivers are on the whole compliant…more than 99% of drivers checked out had DQC, or so the figures would suggest!!!

I think there was a bit of a last minute flurry of training just before it came in, as I did a days DCPC in September and the company had put on extra days to get a load of bus and coach driver through, basically their com
Annie’s had told them if they didn’t have a DCPC card they wouldn’t be working.

I think if it was just a cash generator they would be looking into the WTD much more, I’ve not heard of anyone getting caught out on that, unless everyone is 100% compliant of course.
Assuming all those who say they won’t do it don’t, I’m one, and loads give up the job, where will all the drivers come from? There could be a shortfall of around 20% or so.

I had to stick 34 drivers in for CPC 2 weeks before it came in this year for coach an bus work
buts its a joke go sit in a class room for hours
or in some places turn up fill in your name an copy of driving licence an go home