CPC

Now i have passed Mod 4, will it mean that i have done the full 35 hours? the gent that passed me said i should be getting CPC card in the post.

mickyblue:
Now i have passed Mod 4, will it mean that i have done the full 35 hours? the gent that passed me said i should be getting CPC card in the post.

Hi mickeyblue,

Mod 4 completes your initial DCPC and is what you needed in order to get into the system.

Now that you’re in the system, you need 35 hrs of periodic training within 5 years, so I’m afraid to say that you haven’t done any of the 35hrs yet.

Assuming you passed initial dcpc mod 4 today then you will receive a DQC expiry dated 19/10/2017

You need to complete 35 hours of periodic dcpc at ANYTIME before that expiry date and on completing that 35 hours you will get a new DQC expiry dated 19/10/2022

This above is assuming that you do not already have a PCV under the periodic dcpc system

oh bugger, thought i got out of that :smiley:

Cheers

I passed last Wednesday getting 95% and since then i am phoning and knocking on doors for a chance

mickyblue:
oh bugger, thought i got out of that :smiley:

The only time a driver can get out of the dcpc is when they give up commercial LGV/PCV driving or intend to give up at or before the DQC expiry date

It’s not as if you have to go and do CPC training straight away, think of it as you’ve just done 35 hours CPC training which covers you for 5 years, it simply puts you in the same position as any other professional driver only you have the advantage as technically you don’t need any more training for 5 years.

A lot of drivers on the road have yet to do any traing at all.

A company might see it in a good way that your covered for 5 years.

That’s not to say that you should ignore it, once you get enough cash together you could always do an ADR course which also counts as 25 hours CPC if I remember correctly.

Tarrman:
It’s not as if you have to go and do CPC training straight away, think of it as you’ve just done 35 hours CPC training which covers you for 5 years, it simply puts you in the same position as any other professional driver only you have the advantage as technically you don’t need any more training for 5 years.

A lot of drivers on the road have yet to do any traing at all.

A company might see it in a good way that your covered for 5 years.

That’s not to say that you should ignore it, once you get enough cash together you could always do an ADR course which also counts as 25 hours CPC if I remember correctly.

I was thinking of doing Hiab as well as ADR. Is it worth doing Hiab?

Tarrman:
It’s not as if you have to go and do CPC training straight away, …

Hi Tarrman,
That part is perfectly true mate, but I’m afraid that the rest of what you wrote isn’t quite correct.

Tarrman:
… technically you don’t need any more training for 5 years.

A driver in mickeyblue’s situation needs 35hrs of periodic training within the next 5years.

Tarrman:

That’s true mate, because drivers can take time to have a look around and decide which DCPC periodic course(s) takes their interest or suits their job, but DCPC periodic training comes in ‘chunks’ of 7hrs.

For example, an ADR course can count as 7, 14, 21 or 28hrs depending on how the provider has registered their ADR course with JAUPT/DSA. In the same way, a HIAB course can count as 14 periodic DCPC hours, but there are also many other DCPC approved courses to choose from. :smiley:

mickyblue:

Hi mickeyblue,

I’d say that any course that also has a separate national accreditation from a different awarding body is potentially more useful that a course that was contrived purely to satisfy DCPC requirements.

That’s not to knock the providers and writers of such courses (I’ve written a couple myself :blush: :blush: ) but in all honesty, my advice is to choose a course that has a dual accreditation because the qualification that you gain is something that you could actually use to earn money in the real world.

:bulb: Two birds with one stone. :wink:

dieseldave:

Tarrman:
It’s not as if you have to go and do CPC training straight away, …

Hi Tarrman,
That part is perfectly true mate, but I’m afraid that the rest of what you wrote isn’t quite correct.

Tarrman:
… technically you don’t need any more training for 5 years.

A driver in mickeyblue’s situation needs 35hrs of periodic training within the next 5years.

Technically he is covered for 5 years but if he wants to maintain his DCPC then 35 hours training is required as you rightly say within 5 years. Although it may not be financially beneficial to start the training now, it may be a good idea to drag it out as such and get the 35 hours in for example, the last half year of the 5 years (every 4.5 years).

dieseldave:

Tarrman:

That’s true mate, because drivers can take time to have a look around and decide which DCPC periodic course(s) takes their interest or suits their job, but DCPC periodic training comes in ‘chunks’ of 7hrs.

For example, an ADR course can count as 7, 14, 21 or 28hrs depending on how the provider has registered their ADR course with JAUPT/DSA. In the same way, a HIAB course can count as 14 periodic DCPC hours, but there are also many other DCPC approved courses to choose from. :smiley:

Thats very true, I did say ‘if I remember correctly’, which I didn’t! :blush: The course I had seen was 21 hours not 25, found here for example (local to me):

redrosetraining.co.uk/wp-con … 5/ADR2.pdf

:smiley:

mickyblue:

Can’t hurt I suppose, its another qualification to put on the CV :smiley:

I think its usually Class 2 work but I have seen a HIAB on an artic aswell.

Its something I want to do aswell when I eventually get my license(s), as I want to make a career out of lorry driving I want to get as much experience of different things as I can. On a side note, I think the HIAB cert’ is valid for 5 years so might only be worth getting if you know you’re going to use it. No point doing the course and then go onto night trunking in an artic for 5 years :wink:

Tarrman:
Technically he is covered for 5 years but if he wants to maintain his DCPC then 35 hours training is required as you rightly say within 5 years. Although it may not be financially beneficial to start the training now, it may be a good idea to drag it out as such and get the 35 hours in for example, the last half year of the 5 years (every 4.5 years).

Hi Tarrman,

Agreed mate, cos IMHO people in mickeyblue’s position have already shelled out quite enough money at this stage.

Tarrman:
… found here for example (local to me):

redrosetraining.co.uk/wp-con … 5/ADR2.pdf

:smiley:

Red Rose are well regarded in the ADR/DCPC training industry.
They also offer FLT and HIAB and LGV/PCV tuition together with some construction industry courses.
I know this because I had a good look around when I taught an ADR course for Red Rose at their premises. :smiley:

I nearly went with Red Rose Training to start my LGV training but opted for TRUK in Bolton instead (got my theory Wednesday :sunglasses: )

Good luck.

You will enjoy it

Like DD said at this stage i have spent enough. I just want a chance now and a full time job!

Good luck with the job search. Don’t give up, remember all the HGV drivers on the road today were new at one point. Just register with as many agencies as you can and get out and about as far a field as you can.