CPC

Now i have passed my theory, i have been scouting various training places. My european funding has come to nothing so my old man seeing how eager i was to be a trucker, has agreed to loan me the money (the fellas a true diamond!). Now with a couple of thou burning a hole in my pocket i have been comparing prices and theres a couple of add ons im interested in. First is the advanced courses, defence driving, drivers hours tuition, loading blah blah, which im gonna go for. But with the CPC, do i do home study (cheaper) or weeks classroom tuition (more expensive)? How difficult is it? is it possible to learn the stuff yourself from these manuals?

Cheers :wink:

I suppose it depends how quick a learner you are, there is a lot to take in for the cpc in a week, A homestudy course with some extra books might be better.

I also think that to do an advanced driving course so soon after a test pass may be a mistake. To benefit properly you might need a bit more experience on the road. A driving instructor will teach you to drive to pass a test , while an Advanced instructor will expect you know how to anyway.

Matt,
I did the weeks course in April and took and passed the nat /cpc since,I,m now going to go on and do my international cpc+ADR.I took the course at TTS Nutts corner here in N.Ireland.We where given past test papers to learn and all the questions that where in the exam turned up previously in the test papers.I actually thought that it wasn’t too bad and was quietly confident (mainly because I had studied!!) that I had passed on the actual test day. I think going to a weeks course and being able to ask questions from “students” and “teachers” etc really helps.

It might be worth checking the local colleges to see if they run an evening class, thats how I did my CPC , it was a lot cheaper than an intensive course and I got all 5 modules.

Cheers fellas
I think ill try my hand at home study, if i find it hard going ill look into Bobs idea of contacting a college.

Many thanks :smiley:

Learndirect do a online CPC course - not sure the cost, but they’re not expensive IIRC

If you live in a rural area, you may be able to get a discounted course through Lantra ( at http://www.clicktolearn.org.uk/courses/100035RD003.asp )

Costs £17.99, yes £17.99 ( not sure if that includes the exam fee!)

Terms and conditions must be met - they are:_

This support is only available on the following terms:
- You are over 19 (as at 1/9/03)
- You have been resident in England for 3 years or more
- That you have completed the enrolment paperwork signed, and returned to Lantra, FREEPOST CV2752, NAC, Kenilworth, CV8 2BR within 7 days.
- If you do return the enrolment paperwork within 7 days and subsequently fail to respond to requests by telephone or email from us to do so within a further 7 days we will suspend your access to the course. If we have to do this we will not refund you the part of the course fee that you have paid.
- Respond to messages from your tutor
(You are not fully enrolled on any of the courses available on the clicktolearn.org.uk website until you have made contact with your personal tutor)
- That you complete your course.
- Access your course materials at least once in every 4-week period

You can also do it with learndirect.com from home i got it for free as i get wftc and i`am about to start it any time now.

so if you do go for it silent we might be able to dconfer on a few things.

Ugh! I recomend the classes. The course is really dry and tedious in places so its good to have people around to egg you on and keep you interested.

If you’re in no rush how about a college course - 2 evenings a week?

thakyou all, homestudy is the one im sticking with, never really found it hard to learn things, unless i just aint interested :laughing:

Thanks again for the advice
cheers