CPC

Hi Guys,

Think this will be the best place to ask this because of all the trainers in here.

Anyways my CPC is up for renewal a year October so if I was to complete my 35 hours now would I get five years from the date I complete my 35 hours or would I get the five years from when this one expires in October 2017.

I have been told different things by different people so thought I would ask here.

Thanks,

MGR1610:
Hi Guys,

Think this will be the best place to ask this because of all the trainers in here.

Anyways my CPC is up for renewal a year October so if I was to complete my 35 hours now would I get five years from the date I complete my 35 hours or would I get the five years from when this one expires in October 2017.

I have been told different things by different people so thought I would ask here.

Thanks,

Hi MGR1610,

The idea is that in order to stay qualified, you do your 35hrs ‘in advance.’

In your case, 35 periodic DCPC hours done between now and Oct 2017 will qualify you from Oct 2017 to Oct 2022.
After that, you’ll need 35hrs anytime between Oct 2017 to Oct 2022 to qualify you until Oct 2027.

Just in case you get to wondering… Mystic Dave says… NO, you can’t ‘bank’ DCPC hours and carry them forwards, so I might have even helped you with your next question. :smiley:

As Dave said once you have completed 35 hours another 5 years gets added on to the current expiry date so in your case the new CPC card would expire in Oct 2022.

Once you get the new card there is no point doing any more training until after Oct 2017 as only hours gained within 5 years of the expiry date count. Once you are within the 5 years ie after Oct 17 you could in theory then do another 35 hours and this would add another 5 years to Oct 2027 giving you nearly 10 years entitlement.

Hope this helps

BTW Dave I hear you bumped into someone we both know on one of your legendary ADR courses recently. He is taking his CE test with us this week.

What happens if you’re CPC card expires? Do you need to sit the 35 hours to bring it back or what?

norm:
What happens if you’re CPC card expires? Do you need to sit the 35 hours to bring it back or what?

Yes, if you let your DQC lapse you will need to do 35 hours periodic training before driving commercially, unless your job is DCPC exempt.

For most people of course the idea is to do the 35 hours periodic training before the DQC expires :wink:

Cheers guys,

LGVTrainer:
Once you are within the 5 years ie after Oct 17 you could in theory then do another 35 hours and this would add another 5 years to Oct 2027 giving you nearly 10 years entitlement.

That’s alrite if you want to get it out the way early.

This is the daft thing about the way the DCPC can be done …

Lets take a driver who has been out the game but has had their licence for 20 years and now is going back to driving LGVs

That driver can do 35 hours DCPC training next week then another 35 hours the following week which end up getting a DQC expiry dated june 2026
The next 35 hours can then be done in the first week of june 2026
That is almost 10 years with no DCPC training