cpc

Hello all and hope santa was good to everyone :smiley:, just a quick question, does my transport manager need to do cpc or any other course for that matter. He doesn’t hold a hgv license.

It depends. If your company is running on a Standard Operators Licence and if this guy is the nominated “Transport Manager”, he must hold a Certificate of Professional Competence. If he is in his senior years, it’s just possible he got it on grandfather rights. He would probably be well in his 60’s to have this. It’s more likely that he has done a course of study and passed the appropriate exams to hold the qualification.

But, many Transport Managers don’t have the responsibility of the O licence and, accordingly, don’t have to hold any formal qualifications. In an operation run under a Standard Operators Licence (whether national or international) someone within the company is named as the “Transport Manager”.

If the operation is run on a Restricted Operator Licence (not able to carry goods for hire and reward), no professionally qualified person is required to be named on the Operator’s Licence.

In some companies, the “Transport Manager” is no more than a glorified traffic clerk.

In any case, the person is exempt from driver cpc provided they’re not driving any in-scope vehicle in the course of their work.

I guess you have a horror story or two about the ■■■■-ups that your Transport Manager has made. Maybe I’m wrong?

Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Thank you Pete, we use a restricted o license, he’s actually very good and tries to keep everything legal.
Another driver told me that he needed a cpc so was just checking to make sure. Thanks again Pete