CPC - Whats going on

Hi everyone , hope you can help.

It was my understanding that in order to train for you HGV class 2 licence you need to do the following :

medical - Approx £80
Convert your Class B (car) licence to a Class C (LGV rigid) Provisional - Free
Theory Test - £35
Hazard Perception Test - £15
Class C training - Approx £800
Class C Driving Test - Approx £130
Convert your Class C (LGV rigid) provisional licence to a full Class C (LGV rigid) - Free

Driver CPC

Driver CPC theory test case studies - £30
Driver CPC Practical test (includes automated issue of Driver Qualification Card (DQC) - Approx £60
Now according to my average maths thats about £1150.

How ever, on further investigation into this CPC malarky I come across various websites that either dont make it very clear :imp: or im just been a bit ‘fick’ :blush: . Below are examples of what I’ve been coming across :

***(the following has been copied and pasted straight from a site that attempts to explain CPC training and costs )

CPC Training New Drivers Initial Training
For new LGV Drivers:
-Module 1 — Licence acquisition theory test — 100 multi choice questions and 19 hazard perception clips (cost £35 for multi choice & £15 for hazard perception)
-Module 2 — Driver CPC theory test -1½ hours Case Study questions (cost £30)
-Module 3 — Licence acquisition practical test - 1½ hours practical driving test (cost £115 weekdays £141 weekends)
-Module 4 — Driver CPC practical test — 30 minutes practical demonstration of vehicle safety (cost £55 weekdays)
You must pass module 1 before you can take module 3 and you must pass module 2 before you can take module 4.
Once all modules have been completed you will be issued with a Driver Qualification Card (DQC) by the DSA

The above looks to me, pretty much the same as what I first typed, so Im not sure weather CPC refers to the whole training from start to finish for new drivers/learners. ?

I have also come across websites that state the cost for modules 1-2 and 4 as been almost the same as what I’ve said above but for mudule 3 it says approx £800-900 quid, so does that mean you have to pay £800+ for your driver training, then another £800+ for CPC driver training or what :question: , Im confused as to how this works. I understand that current HGV drivers only have to do some of the modules every 5 years periodicaly, but for a new learner I cant work out whats needed , can some one please shed some light on this topic please

Basically to cut a long story soirt, how much is the entire training, including medicals,tests, aquiring your CPC etc for newbies, and what does the CPC entail.

Thanks in advance for your replys regarding this :slight_smile:

My take is the Driver’s Initial CPC for us new drivers is made up of everything from start to finish to get the licence (exc. medical and provisional application), and also to drive commercially (so that’s the extra new bits which came in the past few years, the additional multi-choice exam and that other practical one).

RJP001:
My take is the Driver’s Initial CPC for us new drivers is made up of everything from start to finish to get the licence (exc. medical and provisional application).

Thats exactly what I was thinking but I just like to get these things 100% clear in my head, Im one of those who cant rest till I know for sure :sunglasses:

Appreciate the reply mate, thanks

SCSI:
Basically to cut a long story soirt, how much is the entire training, including medicals,tests, aquiring your CPC etc for newbies, and what does the CPC entail.

Excluding any retests, total cost of going from B to C including initial dcpc would be in the region of £1,500 for a 5 day practical course plus a few hours for dcpc module 4

A longer or shorter course will affect that price

Module 2 of the dcpc is easy - read all the theory books and add common sense - examples are in the DSA driver cpc book

Module 4 needs training time as well as hiring the truck again to do it with at the practical test centre
There are plenty of posts on this forum that can give you the info for mod 4 and one is s sticky near the top of this forum

CAVEAT - any prices (except test fees) will be approximate as pricing is left to those operating in the open markets

PS - medical can be had for about £50