cpc training??

Hi Peeps,

i am currently running our office on a temporary basis at daventry and i am really enjoying myself…the question i am asking is does anyone know where i go to get my cpc and what exactly is involved etc etc as i fancy havin a go at being a tm :smiley:

There are a lot of homestudy kits about now, and the exams are held on the same day in different parts of the country.

Friendberry do a cpc course which is supposed to be idiot proof. It must be as there are a lot of idiots running transport :stuck_out_tongue:

I did both mine with a book from David Lowe and then booked the exam with the RTITB

i called a company the other day. apparently, the home kits are cheaper but you may not have access to any tutoring at all. the learn direct course is cheap but the pass rate is zero. some trainers will train you but if you fail, tough! give this one a call

CPC tutorials
freepost GL54
stroud
glos
GL6 0BR
0800 281616
email: info@cpctutorials.org
www.cpctutorials.org

they are very helpful and they will continue tutoring until you pass. they told me that the next exam is december and a home kit will not prepare you for it in time. they do a 1 week intensive course and they will give you further tutoring over the phone

having now looked at the website, they offer a guaranteed continuation for 2 years. you pay the fees and they will tutor you until you pass the modules that you applied for. they will even book accommodation locally if you so wish

I’ve just finished my CPC National yesterday.
8 days training course, and 3 exams.
I would recommend a full course as there is a hell of a lot of stuff to learn.

so what type of time schedule to they give for the international?

Paul - how do you mean?
My international is 3 days long.

thats what meant, so it’s an eight day coarse for the national then a further three days for the international?
so do you have to wait until december or do they do the international exam on different dates?

ianyng:
there is a hell of a lot of stuff to learn.

is it interesting or death by viewfoil etc? i dont mean the content as interest varies from person to person but do they keep you focused or are you sitting propping your head up with a pen in your other hand?

I did mine entirely from a distance, using notes by a guy called Graham Lewsey, with a brother called Frank.

The content was so mind numbing that it got to a fortnight before the exam and I still hadn’t got it together to learn the stuff…so I cleared all forms of entertainment out of the cab - books/magazines/papers/TV etc. - so that I had no choice but to knuckle down on loading bays.

I passed first time, so the notes must have been good. :open_mouth:

Who ever teaches the lesson has to get the attention of the class if there is no rapport with teacher and pupils then no one benifits at all,
but this is a two way contract , you as pupil must be prepared to look,listen.
digest, and retain all that the teacher puts across if the teacher has the experience and knowledge and is throughly comptent in putting this all across then it all rests with the pupil as to the end result.

paul b:
thats what meant, so it’s an eight day coarse for the national then a further three days for the international?
so do you have to wait until december or do they do the international exam on different dates?

For my National I did Tuesday to Sunday (inclusive) from 08.45 - 18.00.
3 days for revision, and a further day for a case-study day (08.45-18.00)
Exams on last day (09.30-15.00)

Next is International. It’s a 3 day course at the end of November.

There is one hell of a lot of stuff to learn, but it is interesting (mostly).
Finance is a nightmare if you’re crap at maths, but calculators are a wonderful thing.

so what doesit involve and what are the modules?

jon

I did my CPC National yesterday as well. I went to the FTA College at Wadhurst for an intensive course which I would strongly recommend doing. There are three modules for the National.

Module 1 Core paper 30 mins 20 multiple choice questions
Module 2 National paper 1 hr 40 mulitple choice questions.

and then the really fun paper Module 4 Case study :exclamation: :exclamation: :exclamation:

There is a case study review day on the FTA course which I would recommend doing whoever you take the CPC with.

The course covers Operator licensing, business and financial management, Social Civil Financial and Commercial Law. Road safety and Construction and Use Regulations. It is quite interesting although hard going at times. If you have run a business or been self employed then some of the information you will already know.

The FTA told us yesterday that the CPC is changing next year to all written answers instead of Multi Choice so it is going to get harder. The International already is apparently.

Wheel Nut:
Friendberry do a cpc course which is supposed to be idiot proof. It must be as there are a lot of idiots running transport :stuck_out_tongue:

it worked for me :wink:

I did the homestudy stuff, although they did a 2 day revision course (you joined in the last two days of the week course) so I did that!!

passed modules 1, 2 first time, took two attempts for module 4 :open_mouth: and passed the international first time 12 months later!

paul b:

I wouldnt recomend doing both the national and international in the same year nether mind together. theres far too much to learn, youd end up destroying your mind/sanity/family life *delete as apropreate.
and I`ve said this before, why bother putting yourself throught it all, unless you want to be a O/O

scanny77:
i called a company the other day. apparently, the home kits are cheaper but you may not have access to any tutoring at all. the learn direct course is cheap but the pass rate is zero.

Might have to rethink your maths there me old mate. I did the learn direct course and passed first time. It may not be the best but you do get access to a tutor. But it is a tough course if you don’t put your mind to it, just an hour here or there will most likely see you fail, you need to put aside a substantial block of time.

peirre:

paul b:

I wouldnt recomend doing both the national and international in the same year nether mind together. theres far too much to learn, youd end up destroying your mind/sanity/family life *delete as apropreate.
and I`ve said this before, why bother putting yourself throught it all, unless you want to be a O/O

already an o/d but employ a tm which isn’t the best set up and although permitted in the regulations, is looked on in a dim light by the ministry.
i intend to do the national in the next round of exams in december and the international three months later.

smcaul:

scanny77:
i called a company the other day. apparently, the home kits are cheaper but you may not have access to any tutoring at all. the learn direct course is cheap but the pass rate is zero.

Might have to rethink your maths there me old mate. I did the learn direct course and passed first time. It may not be the best but you do get access to a tutor. But it is a tough course if you don’t put your mind to it, just an hour here or there will most likely see you fail, you need to put aside a substantial block of time.

i dont know myself mate. i can only say what this bloke told me. if there are some like yourself who did manage to pass then its sounds like you did very well to do it. hats off to you :smiley:

OK so I know you’re not ready for a smug smart arse, but, when this first came in in the 60s or 70s I suppose (it was called the TML - Transport Manager’s Licence then) I just asked for one. Was a bit disappointed when it arrived, just a bit of green tear off slip which gave my name and the fact that I had been engaged on overseeing national and international operations for x amount of time.
The international bit was on the strength of sending my brother to Jersey for a one day delivery with a light van and trailer. Didn’t hide anything and they didn’t ask. :laughing:
Whenever I’ve used it since I’ve always been slightly nervous that someone would refuse to accept it, but no-one ever has :unamused: .

Best of luck to all of you embarking on this route. I’m sure I wouldn’t have the stamina now.

Salut, David.

Spardo:
I just asked for one. Was a bit disappointed when it arrived, just a bit of green tear off slip which gave my name and the fact that I had been engaged on overseeing national and international operations for x amount of time.

That’s exactly what my dad did although his was an actual CPC (issued in 1978), the only requirement was to have been involved in transport prior to January 1975.