Cpc training - what and when?

Evening all,
I have a class C licence obtained 18 months ago following years of 7.5t and 3.5t work, working initially in a full time job and more recently doing agency work for MANPOWER who I have to say have been a lot more professional and consistent in finding work for me than most of the smaller independents.
I have received conflicting advice as to what cpc training I need to undertake, and when, and am seeking clarification. Ideally, if there is anyone reading this who is a trainer or similar I would much appreciate your input, although any advice would be received with gratitude, whatever the source.
I was born 24/8/1961 and have held a driving licence since I was 19 years old. In essence, I have been informed by various Driving agencies that as a “mature driver(!)”, because of my age and/or the length of time since I first obtained a UK driving licence I have no immediate obligation to undergo CPC training. I am not sure this is correct, but If it is, can anybody tell me what I need to actually complete, when I DO need to start on it, and by what date I will need to complete it? Also, at some point I am thinking of undertaking ADR Training, specifically for gases and/or flammable liquids/fuels, and wonder if anyone can confirm how far that might go to fulfilling any CPC Training obligations I might have now or might have in the future?
I tried to find a more specific thread for thiese queries, but I am quite new to this site and couldn’t find one, so I apologise if such an alternative exists and would be grateful if somebody would point me to it!
Thanks in advance for any help you can provide,
pja666.

sept 2014 deadline to complete 35 hours
adr can count as 21 hours :smiley:

As above - but just a little more info. The ADR will count for 21 hours of Periodic Training provided the course has been registered by the trainer for cpc. Just ask the trainer if his ADR course is registered for driver cpc. I’m under the impression that many ADR providers have gone down this road so it shouldn’t be difficult. For all ADR advice, look out for Diesel Dave on this site. He is the fount of all knowledge for ADR.

The remaining hours for cpc can be arranged with any approved provider with costs typically around £70 all in per day. The “day” is 7 hours tutor time (8 hours total with breaks) so you will need 2 of these.

It’s often possible to get a course on drivers’ hours and digital tacho which you may or may not find handy.

Hope this helps. Keep firing your questions. Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Peter,

Did not want to go into too much detail and tell the OP something incorrect, thought you or Rog would be along with the full info.

:smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Peter when your website being changed to show pics of the new vehicle livery :wink:

pja666:
Evening all,
I have a class C licence obtained 18 months ago following years of 7.5t and 3.5t work, working initially in a full time job and more recently doing agency work for MANPOWER who I have to say have been a lot more professional and consistent in finding work for me than most of the smaller independents.
I have received conflicting advice as to what cpc training I need to undertake, and when, and am seeking clarification. Ideally, if there is anyone reading this who is a trainer or similar I would much appreciate your input, although any advice would be received with gratitude, whatever the source.
I was born 24/8/1961 and have held a driving licence since I was 19 years old. In essence, I have been informed by various Driving agencies that as a “mature driver(!)”, because of my age and/or the length of time since I first obtained a UK driving licence I have no immediate obligation to undergo CPC training. I am not sure this is correct, but If it is, can anybody tell me what I need to actually complete, when I DO need to start on it, and by what date I will need to complete it? Also, at some point I am thinking of undertaking ADR Training, specifically for gases and/or flammable liquids/fuels, and wonder if anyone can confirm how far that might go to fulfilling any CPC Training obligations I might have now or might have in the future?
I tried to find a more specific thread for thiese queries, but I am quite new to this site and couldn’t find one, so I apologise if such an alternative exists and would be grateful if somebody would point me to it!
Thanks in advance for any help you can provide,
pja666.

Hi pja666,

From the info you’ve provided, you only need to do 35hrs periodic DCPC before Sept 2014.
This is because you passed your car test before 01/01/1997 and therefore have C1 already on your driving licence.

An ADR course can count towards your periodic DCPC, provided that the ADR provider is also registered as a DCPC provider as described by Noworries and Peter above.

However, if you stick with your idea of just getting UN Class 2 (gases) and UN Class 3 (flammable liquids,) you could only get a maximum of 14 DCPC hours. This will depend on how the provider has registered their course with JAUPT for DCPC and the way in which they’ve timetabled it.

If the provider registered the whole thing as 21 DCPC hours, then you take the 21 hours or nothing as far as DCPC is concerned.
If they registered their ADR course as 3 separate 7hr ‘chunks’ then it’s possible to do Core, Packs and either UN Class 2 OR UN Class 3 in 14 hours. To add the extra UN Class, you’d just pay for another ADR module, and the exam fee then you’re good to go, but with no DCPC hours for the last part because you don’t need 7 hrs for only one UN Class.

Please be aware that not all ADR providers use the same timetable, so if you stick with your plan, it could end up that you might only be able to get 7hrs.

If you’re determined to stick to your plan, I know a couple of providers who have timetabled their ADR courses in such a way that you can get 14hrs DCPC for what you wish to do.

A clue as to your location might help. :wink:

Hello again,
sorry for delay in responding, have been a it snowed under recently.
Many thanks to all who replied, and especially Diesel Dave for his detailed response - cheers mate much appreciated! I take on board all you say, and will digest it over the next couple of weeks. Meanwhile, I live in East Sussex right on the M23 so can get most places on the M23/A23/A22/A21/A24/A217/M25 SOUTHERN SECTIONS/A23 corridors within an hour or so. If you can suggest some suitable trainers in the vicinity I’d be grateful, if you have the time.
Cheers,
Paul.

Paul,

Be patient if Dave does not get back to you straight away, I am sure he won’t mind me saying but he has been into hospital recently for an op and is possibly taking a little well earned recovery time, I am sure he will be along before you know it but thought I would let you know so you don’t think he is ignoring you.

Steve