CPC Training Help - Cost?

Hi all

It’s come to that time where I need to renew my CPC.

To cut a long story short i’m currently not working. Had to stop working to care for my daughter.
That said I would like to keep the CPC update.

I’m located in West Sussex, England and will be funding CPC training out my own pocket. I’m amazed by some of the quotes that i’ve been getting off some training companies in the local area. £92, £98, £120 per session. :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

My CPC expires in July and I do have 7 hours already towards it.

My question is are these prices correct i’m being quoted? I was under the illusion that it was about £65, £70 per module.
I just don’t want to get ripped off with money always being tight these days.

Any help or advice will be greatly welcomed

Cheers Andy

Andy56:
Hi all

It’s come to that time where I need to renew my CPC.

To cut a long story short i’m currently not working. Had to stop working to care for my daughter.
That said I would like to keep the CPC update.

I’m located in West Sussex, England and will be funding CPC training out my own pocket. I’m amazed by some of the quotes that i’ve been getting off some training companies in the local area. £92, £98, £120 per session. :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

My CPC expires in July and I do have 7 hours already towards it.

My question is are these prices correct i’m being quoted? I was under the illusion that it was about £65, £70 per module.
I just don’t want to get ripped off with money always being tight these days.

Any help or advice will be greatly welcomed

Cheers Andy

Thats too expensive .Where i live in Wales its about 65 to 70 or you can try Peter Smythe for a residential cpc course.You can try he answers

Just Google, cpc training in Sussex, there’s loads pop up, then pick the cheapest.

iirc I paid £80 per module with lunch inc, you can get them for £45-£60 per module if you bring a packed lunch

If you are offered something much cheaper than the competition make sure that the upload fee is included.

Were you self employed or a ltd company before you had to stop work? if so don’t forget that it goes down on your annual income tax return as work related training so you will need a proper invoice. In effect you will get 20% of what you paid ‘back’. If you were PAYE then you will need to investigate since you presumably were entiteld to some type of benefit payment as a carer.

Off internet
“If a business pays for the training costs of an employee then it will generally be tax deductible in the same way as directors above. However, it is highly unlikely that an employee would be able to claim the cost of training against their income. This is because an expense must be “wholly, exclusively and necessarily” incurred in the performance of their duties”. In other words, it must be impossible for the employee to perform their existing work without that training before they can even consider making a claim. Improving an existing ability to do the work better or more efficiently, or extending their ability to perform additional tasks within their existing skill base, is not sufficient to make the training “necessary”. The message to all employees, therefore, is :– Try to get your employer to pay for any training that you want”

Don’t know about your area.
But in Manchester you can do bikeability/bike fors awareness course and it counts towards your cpc and usually cheaper than classroom.courses.
And better as spend few hours in classroom then test of day down local park riding a pedal bike

edd1974:
But in Manchester you can do bikeability/bike fors awareness course and it counts towards your cpc and usually cheaper than classroom.courses.
And better as spend few hours in classroom then test of day down local park riding a pedal bike

Are you in a postion to provide a link to a local place in manchester that does this course?

Cost is obviously a factor. But what a pity that there’s not been one mention of quality.

When prices are being driven down, quality will also fall.

I have charged £80.75 per session since the cpc started in 2008 and I dont consider that anyone is being ripped off.

Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Peter Smythe:
Cost is obviously a factor. But what a pity that there’s not been one mention of quality.

I have charged £80.75 per session since the cpc started in 2008 and I dont consider that anyone is being ripped off.

You wouldn’t, would you?

Some may find £80 to sit in a classroom, being bored to death by a 'I know it all, and aren’t my anecdotes funny ’ “trainer” for 7 hours good value. Some may not. But then you are the one being paid. And we’re the ones doing the paying.

To the O.P. dont worry about the quality, get the cheapest you can get. There is no quality control, or minimum standard, or a test, or anything. Just show up at the cheapest course you can find, for seven hours, and its job done. Just check, as mentioned above, that the upload fee is included, or how much they charge for that. Also dont forget to check if its before or including VAT…

cav551:
Were you self employed or a ltd company before you had to stop work? if so don’t forget that it goes down on your annual income tax return as work related training so you will need a proper invoice. In effect you will get 20% of what you paid ‘back’. If you were PAYE then you will need to investigate since you presumably were entiteld to some type of benefit payment as a carer.

You can claim as PAYE using form P87.

tommymanc:

edd1974:

Are you in a postion to provide a link to a local place in manchester that does this course?

http://www.bikeright.co.uk/courses/cpc/

mine was booked and paid for via work.
but be warned my mate phoned booked a date had it all confirmed. then days before they rang said due to lack of numbers have to rearange for another date which he did attened weeks later though.

also of note I did one day booked via work.
was a bloke there he was saying he did the course 5 times as was cheap . although in a way this makes the whole cpc even more of a joke

The going rate is about £60 for 7hrs training here in the Corby area so I think your rates are well over the top.

Peter Smythe:

You come across as a nice enough guy on here Peter, you’ve helped a few young lads, and I know it’s part of your livelihood…(and I fully realise you are only answering a question, not trying to drum up business)
But let’s face it mate, most switched on, less gullible drivers have still not been taken in by all this crap, and see it for what it really is…a box ticking, non substance, money generating, Govt forced scheme. :bulb:
That said, cost is their first priority, unless they are one of the few who get it paid for and/or it is not done in their own time, so most of them, (or should I say ‘us’) just want to get it over with as quickly and as cheaply as possible, as a means to an end, in a necessary evil approach.
If it IS a well taken interesting class, (my first aid course in works time :bulb: was ok) well that is a bonus which relieves the boredom.

edd1974:
was a bloke there he was saying he did the course 5 times as was cheap . although in a way this makes the whole cpc even more of a joke

I have heard some good things about the content and quality of the CPC in other countries like France and Holland.

It’s a real shame the government is so eager to enforce this like it’s a big deal when the total failure is entirely due to their complete lack of oversight of the quality or content of the training. Genuine trainers are on a hiding to nothing.

Their cunning scheme of allowing you repeat the exact same totally irrelevant 7 hour course for life might well be their way of giving the two fingers to Brussels but if they have no interest why not just drop it now as part of Brexit and save loads of grief, time and money?

Andy, Where abouts in West Sussex are you Anywhere near the A23 by chance?

Do you know what kind of CPC you want? There’s places that will give you CPC credit for First Aid courses if you’re not one for the classroom. Same for ADR training too.

I Drive - Sussex will give you pretty competitive quotes and that’s where I’ll probably end up going for my CPC stuff when I need it. I think they only do the more normal CPC modules, so tachograph stuff, driving hours etc. They were looking to add ADR stuff this year but not sure if they’ve done that quite yet.

drivertrainingsussex.com/driver-cpc
£75 for 7 hours
£350 for 35 hours

Hurryup&wait:

edd1974:

I have heard some good things about the content and quality of the CPC in other countries like France and Holland.

It’s a real shame the government is so eager to enforce this like it’s a big deal when the total failure is entirely due to their complete lack of oversight of the quality or content of the training. Genuine trainers are on a hiding to nothing.

Their cunning scheme of allowing you repeat the exact same totally irrelevant 7 hour course for life might well be their way of giving the two fingers to Brussels but if they have no interest why not just drop it now as part of Brexit and save loads of grief, time and money?

Although I see the sense in dropping what has been a next to useless scheme, how would
“Gov ends safety training for juggernaut drivers”
look as a headline?
As you say other countries seem to have taken it more seriously and maybe, it would have been better, if it was treated so here? But we are, where we are. Moaning both sides: too expensive and not good enough. Saying standards are dropping as the job dumbs down, but not wanting better standards set if tests could be failed.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

I couldn’t agree more Franglais and no doubt a bit of proper training every year would be a good thing when you consider the amount of confusion demonstrated by us all on here every week.

But until the government takes a bit of interest and effort to improve content and quality it will will not gain the respect or confidence of the drivers or the industry it is supposed to serve.

I’m guessing Peter doesn’t disagree but probably has a more insightful view of the solution as he can see the problem from a few different angles.

Even when you are paying through the nose, in my experience courses normally start with the trainer full acknowledging that he doesn’t have enough content for the 7 hours, so the day will have to be interspersed with driver stories, funny videos, tea breaks etc. You have guys paying £65 + VAT + upload fee for that. Say there are 24 people, that is £1560, essentially to sit and tell each other stories and listen to the trainer read out slides. I fully understand cost in course development, but you go back to these places and it is the same slides as 5 years ago.

As one guy in his seventies said at one of these courses, it feels like being sentenced to a certain number of hours of community service that you have to pay to attend.

For the o/p, agencies are sometimes running courses with freelance CPC trainers on their own premises. Even if you aren’t registered with the agency, the trainer may be looking to up the numbers to make it worthwhile. Sometimes you can get a reasonable deal with these guys paying on the door, as they don’t have the overheads. I doubt you would get lunch, but it might be more cost-effective for you. Making a few enquiries may be worth a shot.