Cpc trainer wrong

whilst doing a cpc course not long back I had the trainer telling me that your digi card only stores 28 days information and just wouldn’t except that all the information that the card has ever stored from the first day you put it in the reader is still there ?

4aaaa4dd:
whilst doing a cpc course not long back I had the trainer telling me that your digi card only stores 28 days information and just wouldn’t except that all the information that the card has ever stored from the first day you put it in the reader is still there ?

accept :wink:

I had the same, wonder if we had the same trainer.?

It has to store a MINIMUM of 28 days information, the rest is iffy, but I once had a card downloaded and had 4yr old info on it.

My understanding is the digi card holds a minimum of a certain number of mode changes worked out on an average of 93 changes per day.

The DCPC trainer can talk horlicks if he wants to.Said horlicks must be presented in a calm and authorative manner.I have my card having sat through 35 hours of this drivel.

4aaaa4dd:

The 28 day thing seems to be quite a common misunderstanding, as has been said the card is deigned to hold a minimum of 28 days of data.

Having said that, it’s equally untrue that a driver card will hold all the data that’s ever been put on it, generally for someone working 5/6 days a week the card seems to hold about 9 to 12 months of data.

I’ve just completed my last session ( :smiley: ) and the trainer, who I’ve had a couple of times before and seems to know his stuff, said the same thing. Depending on how many mode changes, the card can actually hold less than 28 days worth, so a multi-drop driver might only get 20 days on the card. I queried it as well but he was adamant he was correct.

I was told similar by our Tacho analyst at work, he said it holds 28 driving days and then starts to go over the old stuff.

To be fair I can’t see how they can hold massive amounts of data.

4aaaa4dd:

Hi,

The old info is overwritten after a while, but it can be quite some time before this happens.

Digi cards are a bit of an away match for me, but the guy you had ‘training’ you needs to be reported to JAUPT before some poor sod belives any other crap he says and possibly gets busted for it.

NewLad:
I was told similar by our Tacho analyst at work, he said it holds 28 driving days and then starts to go over the old stuff.

The easy way to check how far back the stored card data goes is to go to “Display driver 1” on the tachograph and see what date you can go back to, you’ll generally find you can read records from the card going back several months.

NewLad:

That analyst is wrong 100%

The card has X amount of data storage capability - same as say the memory on a digital camera card

Only when the memory is full does it either not record data or writes over the oldest data

If it records 28 days data and there is still room available why would it start to over write ?

does that seem logical ?

NewLad:

Easy, just look how small micro SD cards are and they go up to 64gb. And that’s a lot of storage.

switchlogic:

NewLad:

Easy, just look how small micro SD cards are and they go up to 64gb. And that’s a lot of storage.

I know what your saying but a digi card only has a tiny tiny chip inside it and a single wire (at least the broken one I saw did)

tachograph:
The easy way to check how far back the stored card data goes is to go to “Display driver 1” on the tachograph and see what date you can go back to, you’ll generally find you can read records from the card going back several months.

I’ve just scrolled back and it stopped on January 4th 2013 so about 9 months could be a good shout.

NewLad:

switchlogic:

NewLad:

I know what your saying but a digi card only has a tiny tiny chip inside it and a single wire (at least the broken one I saw did)

Thats modern technology for ya :smiley:

40 years ago the computer at county hall leicester was the size of about 4 terraced houses and all that computing power and storage will fit inside a mobile phone with loads of room to spare

dieseldave:

4aaaa4dd:

Hi,

The old info is overwritten after a while, but it can be quite some time before this happens.

Digi cards are a bit of an away match for me, but the guy you had ‘training’ you needs to be reported to JAUPT before some poor sod belives any other crap he says and possibly gets busted for it.

“she”

well put your card in and see how far you can go back has I did to prove a point and it went back to day one ?

NewLad:

switchlogic:

NewLad:

That’s what I just said, a micro SD card is a tiny chip.

point is all those drivers that think after 28 days there infringements have been written over think again …

ROG:
40 years ago the computer at county hall leicester was the size of about 4 terraced houses and all that computing power and storage will fit inside a mobile phone with loads of room to spare

That is true, my Uncle worked for a shipping agent in Hull. He was an accountant and though he was going to lose his job and be replaced by computer, they built this huge building to store the hardware, that building is now an Argos store :laughing:

He also kept his job and outlived the computer room.

I have seen 9 or 10 months data held on my own card and that was whilst doing 5 or 6 drops a day round France

What I was told (by digi tacho makers) was that the card holds information for the last 28 days, and will not overwrite it.

Any info that is over 28 days old may be rewritten as the card fills up. But the card itself holds far more information (by quite a large factor) than could be generated in 28 days of activity. So day 29 is not going to overwrite day 1.

Bear in mind that the same info that is recorded on the driver card is also held in the tacho’s memory too.

So past mistakes can come back to haunt you.