CPC Ripoff!

Thanks for the responses, some more insightful than others I have to say.
I do believe that as a group we are completely underrepresented by any kind of Union or Organization, maybe it’s about time we took action and set up something up that could work for us, personally I would not mind paying a couple of quid every moth to fund and organization to address issues like the redundant CPC etc.
Any thoughts?

truckyboy:
I do agree that this unnecessary piece of legislation is a complete waste of time money and energy, it teaches us what we already know

The questions posted in this forum prove otherwise as do the amount of loads sat on the road instead of the wagon they’re supposed to be on and the endless amount of drivel heard in every RDC drivers waiting room.

and in a lot of cases we actually know more than the ( college ) guy who is teaching us this crap, and also pointing out the many faults and myths along the way.

I bet if there was a written test at the start of every module that’d be proven wrong.

We already have a HGV licence which is enough on its own to qualify us as professionals, the problem i find is we are not treated that way.

Probably because a large minority, if not the majority, act nothing like professionals. Remember posting:

“i always say theres more than one way to skin a cat. Have the diesel nicked every so often, maybe the curtain slashed, they will soon agree to pay for safe parking and toxteth is a good place to park where you can get all of it done at the same time :laughing: if its not your truck, its not your problem…”

A real professional aren’t you?

There are a lot of drivers who have had to pay for this training out of their own pockets, i myself was fortunate to have been working for a company whom paid for its drivers and subbies to benefit from free training ( cough, cough ) so i believe there should be some kind of tax break for these drivers who have had to pay.

Its training therefore it is tax deductible. What was that you were saying about being professional and not needing to be taught how to ■■■■ eggs? :unamused:

http://www.urtu.com/news_archive/hmrc_clarification_on_driver_cpc_and_taxation2 Says no

But reading between the lines regarding the HMRC P87 tax relief for expenses EIM32535 - Other expenses: education and training: where education is part of the duties of the employment - HMRC internal manual - GOV.UK

EIM32535 - Other expenses: education and training: where education is part of the duties of the employment

In some cases, attendance at externally provided education courses will be a contractual duty of an employment. It is very unusual for external education to be among the obligatory duties of an employment. The Courts have adopted a restrictive approach to defining the duties of an employment, see EIM31650. In almost all cases you need to distinguish between doing the work of the employment and training or preparing to do that work.

However, there are cases in which the duties of the employment necessarily include external education. Typically these cases will be employments which involve research or an employee who is undertaking a training phase of their career, during which the attendance at external courses represents an intrinsic part of the duties of the employment. Typical cases are illustrated by examples EIM32545and EIM32546.

In the recent case of Revenue & Customs Commissioners v Dr Piu Banerjee ([2010] EWCA Civ. 843), the Court of Appeal accepted that a deduction for training costs incurred by an employee should be allowed if the employee was employed on a training contract where training was an intrinsic contractual duty of the employment (see also EIM32530 & EIM32546) and where any personal benefit would be incidental and not therefore give rise to a dual purpose of the expenditure.

It is important in cases where relief is sought for training costs incurred under the terms of a training contract for the employee to be able to demonstrate, by reference to the contract of employment and all other relevant documentation, that:

Training is an intrinsic part of the contractual duties of the employment,
All other duties are being undertaken as part of the training process. They constitute the practical aspects of the training process and are intended to complement the theoretical aspects of the training, which include the externally provided training,
There is a mandatory requirement for the employee to undertake the external training as an intrinsic part of the duties of the employment and.
Failure to complete the training and obtain the qualification will mean that the employee will not be able to continue in employment with the employer in the role that would otherwise have been available to them after qualification.

May be relevant, but as to wether of not they allow your claim in reality is a different matter , the government is there to fleece us not make us richer

Conor:
…Its training therefore it is tax deductible…

If you’re PAYE it isn’t! HERE is the information from HMRC.

*EDIT - “tommy t” posted the same link as I was editing mine!

Well, I guess it’s time for some pay increments then - I paid for my own, and I’m supposed to be PAYE.
I wonder if yards will start a strong full timer recruitment drive come september, because they don’t like the prospect of having to pay through the nose for agency cover after then?

Rigids jobs have already started after all… :open_mouth:

Conor, i see your still bashing my posts, you carry on boy if it pleases, the post above about losing diesel etc was tongue in cheek, and i still feel that its an employers responsibility to pay for decent safe parking for its drivers, as against in laybyes/industrial estates where curtain slashing and diesel theft is more likely to happen, it can also happen in truck stops but thats the chance one takes, but at least the driver is more safer.

When i took my DCPC, it was done in house, the teacher had never been in transport, and nor did he ever want to be in it, the mistakes he made were absurd, slide shows were hit and miss including showing one without a number plate which i pointed out, ratchets on wrong etc,. turned out it was him who had made up the slides.

We were in the classroom at 0900 at on our way home by 1pm…until one of the poles asked the T/M if he could earn a bit extra by going out on the road ■■ that put the kybosh on that and we had to stay until 4pm, I still say it taught me nothing new, this was 2 years ago when the course had just been introduced, and the tutors were from a college in Havering, but we still got our card, not a certificate as some drivers are purporting.
Nice to see on anothers post that not ALL drivers can claim tax back, so mr clever clogs it turns out you are wrong again…Luvvly Jubbly

Truckyboy, My answer to Conor is on the “YOUR DCPC VIEWS” thread, I can’t be arsed to repeat it all on this thread, so feel free to have a read.

The thing is you have dared to put on a comment that Conor deems to be unprofessional, his other jump on point is his interpretation of a simple question, possibly badly put across, being stupid.
I got what you meant about parking in Toxteth or where ever not being entirely literal, but stated to illustrate a point about being paid for parking, as I am sure most, if not all, of the rest of us did, but it looks like it went right over his head…again :laughing:
So from one unprofessional driver who asks stupid questions to another :laughing: , I would not bother my arse what he says mate. :smiley:

stevejones:
way back all uk drivers /Europeans/ should of stood told all local mp/s eg government tpt minister if this not withdrawn . total transport strike but who would of had b…s to stick to it not many I think . problem is we lost our country/and our backbone and its our own fault and the great tony oh im a liar blair who sold uk down the s…er to brussells behind our back . but cheer up borders all open /free movement/ bla bla bla its gone lads just buckle down and wait for next load of bo…x coming at ya :smiley:

UK drivers sticking together and/or standing up to any kind of authority to achieve better conditions?? …Yeh :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Hi Rob, i`m glad you saw my post for what it was, it seems that Conor lives in another world if you get my drift :laughing:

robroy:
UK drivers sticking together and/or standing up to any kind of authority to achieve better conditions?? …Yeh :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Hahaha - yeah! Oink, Oink - Flap, Flap! :smiley: :smiley: :wink:

Disptachdog:
Thanks for the responses, some more insightful than others I have to say.
I do believe that as a group we are completely underrepresented by any kind of Union or Organization, maybe it’s about time we took action and set up something up that could work for us, personally I would not mind paying a couple of quid every moth to fund and organization to address issues like the redundant CPC etc.
Any thoughts?

my thoughts are if drivers can’t get unionised/ THEIR act together after 50 years ( yes we’re in the 21st century ! ) then these young lads who are queuing up to rush into this industry ( cough, cough! ) lol :grimacing: then we deserve everything we get! :open_mouth: I’m fully paid up in the union ( used urtu, garbage! ) tgwu and now unite, been the shop steward for the NUMPTIES and YELLOWBELLIES who talk a good fight in the brew room but when it comes to WITHDRAWING THEIR LABOUR, well that’s a different set of rules! :unamused: they think that the comedians who pay them £750 a week, doing 71/ 84 hours and 4/5 nights out are doing them a favour! :bulb: time to rise as one, at least WE HAVE A STRIKE DATE = 09- 09- 2014! :wink: ignore at your peril! :smiley:

robroy:

stevejones:
way back all uk drivers /Europeans/ should of stood told all local mp/s eg government tpt minister if this not withdrawn . total transport strike but who would of had b…s to stick to it not many I think . problem is we lost our country/and our backbone and its our own fault and the great tony oh im a liar blair who sold uk down the s…er to brussells behind our back . but cheer up borders all open /free movement/ bla bla bla its gone lads just buckle down and wait for next load of bo…x coming at ya :smiley:

+1