CPC required to run a skip lorry business?

Mate of mine has bought out his brothers skip business. He’s got an O licence being transferred to him but looked blank when I asked him if he had a CPC cerificate. Am I completely out of touch here, I thought he would need a CPC holder to get an O licence? His wagons a proper HGV, not a 7.5 tonner.

cheers

As far as i am aware, it don’t matter if its a ‘proper HGV’ or a 7and a half, it still needs an ‘o’ licence.
And in my opinion a national or international not a restricted one at that. I wouldnt think a skip hire business would be an own account operation so it would fall under hire or reward hence full licence and for this someone needs the appropriate CPC.
Might be worth pointing this out to your mate if he wants to keep his skip lorry.

pugwash is right - he’ll need a cpc holder to do anything other than own account !

I’m a bit puzzled about the O licence transfer - they are not really transferable!
He will need to apply for his own O licence, although if his brother gives up the original licence and he uses the same operating centre he should get away with a Schedule 4 application

am i right in thinking all he need for skips is a restricted license that dosen’t require a cpc?

paul b:
am i right in thinking all he need for skips is a restricted license that dosen’t require a cpc?

A restricted licence is only to carry your own goods, or burden. Unless he is only carting his own rubbish around in the skips, which is unlikely, a Standard O Licence would be required. Assuming those skips aren’t on international work. :wink: :smiley: :smiley:

that could be a plan, all the rubbish collected in the uk is ferried across the chanel and dumped on the frogs and germins!

just to throw a spanner in the works :slight_smile:

Are you all SURE he needs a national licence ?

I know a guy with a thriving skip business & he runs on a restricted O licence simply because of the fact that with a waste carriers licence he OWNS the rubbish in the skip (and the skip itself).

As far as I am aware, it’s difficult or impossible to run without a waste carriers licence & by definition that obligates the carrier to “own” the product. The fact that he charges for the goods rather than pays for them is irrelevant I think.

Another bloke i know very well runs a scrap collection business & definately runs restricted O/L. He never actually buys the scrap, often people will pay him to take it & the yard pay him to offload it.

Am i wrong ■■ (possibly, I am ASKING)

Coffeeholic:
A restricted licence is only to carry your own goods, or burden. Unless he is only carting his own rubbish around in the skips, which is unlikely, a Standard O Licence would be required. Assuming those skips aren’t on international work. :wink: :smiley: :smiley:

Surely the easy way round that is to put in the skip hire contract something like “any item placed in the skip becomes the property of the company” and then as if by magic you’re only carrying your own stuff.

Paul

scab-in-a-cab:
just to throw a spanner in the works :slight_smile:

Are you all SURE he needs a national licence ?

I know a guy with a thriving skip business & he runs on a restricted O licence simply because of the fact that with a waste carriers licence he OWNS the rubbish in the skip (and the skip itself).

As far as I am aware, it’s difficult or impossible to run without a waste carriers licence & by definition that obligates the carrier to “own” the product. The fact that he charges for the goods rather than pays for them is irrelevant I think.

Another bloke i know very well runs a scrap collection business & definately runs restricted O/L. He never actually buys the scrap, often people will pay him to take it & the yard pay him to offload it.

Am i wrong ■■ (possibly, I am ASKING)

its possible :exclamation: not having read the small print in a waste carriers licence, it could all depend on who actually owns the waste while its in transport !

just checked the vosa site - local recycle co is running 20 trucks on a restricted licence (collecting from recycle points and taking to the depot for sorting etc)

Surely the easy way round that is to put in the skip hire contract something like “any item placed in the skip becomes the property of the company” and then as if by magic you’re only carrying your own stuff.

if we keep using every rule in the book to our advantage, we will become as wealthy & wise as a well known inter galactic owner driver :wink:

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

You’re prob right there scabby, however, as another one who does not know for sure the ins and outs of waste transfer, could it not be that you are paid to dispose of waste? Therefore, the person doing the ‘paying’ still owns the waste and your just transfering it to a waste station for them?

Inspecting a few tacho’s from a skip operator might give an insight. A transport manager is supposed to look at a few charts once in a while. Here in East Sussex, we don’t have any motorways, and not many duals. But some of the local skip operators will definitely see a lot of 90kph on the speed trace!

that would be the A27 motorway then :smiley: ,never been known to travel less than 50mph on there,even in good old east sussex,which i had the pleasure of visiting twice this week.
first trip saw old bill doing spot check on A27/A26 r/bout. nearly every truck headed into newhaven.
thu trip was all the way to bexhill and back not one plod to be seen :smiley: .

I would look at the phrase, “hire and reward” and whether you own the waste, make the waste or have a fetish for waste. read the Commercial Motor legal pages and see how many skip operators do no understand the rules :wink:

that would be the A27 motorway then ,never been known to travel less than 50mph on there,even in good old east sussex,which i had the pleasure of visiting twice this week.
first trip saw old bill doing spot check on A27/A26 r/bout. nearly every truck headed into newhaven.
thu trip was all the way to bexhill and back not one plod to be seen .

The police have purges on trucks doing 50+ on the A27 and A23.

There’s also the VOSA check points on the A27 west bound just after Shoreham airport, at the top of the hill on the A23, and I’ve seen them using the big lay-by on the A22 on the Ashdown Forest just north of Nutley.

So, as there are no Motorways in East Sussex, a Pinocchio excuse for 56 won’t be too convincing!

can tacho’s now be used for evidence of speeding?

can tacho’s now be used for evidence of speeding?

Don’t think so — unless its part of accident investigation. But might incite a visit from Vosa. The check point at Nutley is about 10miles from the nearest DC or MW, and is usually assisted by traffic police.

Tachos have been used in the past for evidence of speeding.

Remember Abbey Hill and all the drivers losing their licences for periods of time. If the card shows regular speeds of 50+ when you leave the yard and the motorway is miles away

Was thinking of setting up my own skip business and have mailed VOSA and got a reply back to the effect of what has been said on here…if you were to own the goods/waste in the skip you would only need a restricted operators license!

Does anyone know if u have to hold a cpc if you are applying for a restricted operators license??

Al