CPC Reclaiming your costs

After completing my course, and not sure if this has already been covered , I have just recovered all my costs for my CPC.

I decided to pay for it myself 325.00+65.00 mileage cost ,because I sure as hell was not going to give it to my employer. The common trick is the haulier to offer to pay for a day module on a saturday and you dont get paid. That means you spend a days torment on your time off for nothing and they recover the training fees costs, win win all the way.!!! If you can afford it, pay for it yourself, and download form P87 from inland revenue and you will be reimbused fully.

Is it not just tax relief on your expenses ■■?
as in — you don’t get taxed on that £390 of your years earnings ■■

No, it’s the full amount for essential training. I claimed ALL my CPC, Hiab, Banksman courses back.

Tipper Tom:
No, it’s the full amount for essential training. I claimed ALL my CPC, Hiab, Banksman courses back.

Really? Using form P87? The one that clearly states “Tax Relief for Expenses of Employment” across the top?

No not using that form, claiming through my LLP.

Roymondo:

Tipper Tom:

Really? Using form P87? The one that clearly states “Tax Relief for Expenses of Employment” across the top?

If relief is due you will receive a repayment of the tax paid on the net allowable expenses.

There must be two different types of P87 form :confused:

Same principle though, surely? You “claim” £400 or whatever the training costs and the amount on which you pay tax is reduced by that figure.

We’ll I’m about to hand over £345 for my HIAB including 7 hours DCPC so if someone can tell me how to claim as much back as possible I’d be very grateful.

Wheel Nut:

Roymondo:

Tipper Tom:

If relief is due you will receive a repayment of the tax paid on the net allowable expenses.

There must be two different types of P87 form :confused:

No there’s not I meant that as an LLP I am able to reclaim total cost of training from the government as I don’t have a level three qualification. You are able to reclaim up to £1500 for training towards a level 3 qualification. I’m not certain if that’s an annual total or an overall maximum

thelorryist:
We’ll I’m about to hand over £345 for my HIAB including 7 hours DCPC so if someone can tell me how to claim as much back as possible I’d be very grateful.

Take 2 steps backwards & contemplate the sense in spending £345 for a certificate of training that (allegedly) takes 7 hrs.

Fools & their money are soon parted.

I’m thinking I’d require a cheque from HMRC for the full amount paid, if I am to consider myself “fully re-imbursed”.

20p in the pound of it doesn’t cut it. :frowning:

skoowif:
…I have just recovered all my costs for my CPC.

I decided to pay for it myself 325.00 + 65.00 mileage cost…

If you can afford it, pay for it yourself, and download form P87…

… you will be reimbursed fully.

BULLSHOT. UTTER MISLEADING BULLSHOT.

If you have received a £390 cheque from HMRC for DriverCPC,

I WILL DOUBLE THAT PAYMENT.

If you mean that you have received 20% tax relief on your costs then
you may have saved £78 (BUT IT HAS COST YOU £390 TO DO SO)

Chas:

thelorryist:

Take 2 steps backwards & contemplate the sense in spending £345 for a certificate of training that (allegedly) takes 7 hrs.

Fools & their money are soon parted.

Well that’s with tockwith training.

Tipper Tom:
…No there’s not I meant that as an LLP I am able to reclaim total cost of training from the government as I don’t have a level three qualification. You are able to reclaim up to £1500 for training towards a level 3 qualification. I’m not certain if that’s an annual total or an overall maximum

Where do you get the info about a CPC being equivalent to a level3 qualification? That would put it equvalent to an A-level so I would imagine there would be an awful lot of pee’d off school kids who would be interested.

And yet again the ‘government will pay’ red-herring rears its head. As has already been mentioned, Anything claimed back through the tax system does not give you the full amount, it just means you can offset it against your tax paid, whatever status you are, so unless you are paying 100% of your earnings as tax you will only get a percentage back in your pocket after you have already paid out.

It will be really interesting to see what happens when any pseudo S/E get audited by the taxman if they don’t know how the basic tax system works in this country.

Incidentally, that’s the first time I’ve seen a driver being set up as an LLP - interesting way of doing things.

Driver CPC is supposed to be at level 2 but as far as I know it does not feature on the QCF

tallyman:

Tipper Tom:
…No there’s not I meant that as an LLP I am able to reclaim total cost of training from the government as I don’t have a level three qualification. You are able to reclaim up to £1500 for training towards a level 3 qualification. I’m not certain if that’s an annual total or an overall maximum

Where do you get the info about a CPC being equivalent to a level3 qualification? That would put it equvalent to an A-level so I would imagine there would be an awful lot of pee’d off school kids who would be interested.

What qualification levels mean: Overview - GOV.UK

And yet again the ‘government will pay’ red-herring rears its head. As has already been mentioned, Anything claimed back through the tax system does not give you the full amount, it just means you can offset it against your tax paid, whatever status you are, so unless you are paying 100% of your earnings as tax you will only get a percentage back in your pocket after you have already paid out.

It will be really interesting to see what happens when any pseudo S/E get audited by the taxman if they don’t know how the basic tax system works in this country.

Incidentally, that’s the first time I’ve seen a driver being set up as an LLP - interesting way of doing things.

Makes it sound as if a driver is going to be “suing for overtime” “enforcing invoice payment” and being clever accountants at fiddling every expense under the sun, MP style.

I’d really like to know right now what other AGENCY drivers are doing to get some kind of cashback on the DCPCs they might have already done prior to the Sept 14 deadline… I’ve yet to even start mine, mainly because “when I’ve got the time to fit 35 hours in I pay for, and don’t work and get paid for”, I’m skint" and vice versa coupled with “conflicting stories” over what I can claim back of it, and what I cannot.

Agency’s accountants don’t seem to be interested in helping me out here. HMRC have already told me that as it’s “An expense vital to the performing of your job, it is claimable” - but stop there in their exact definitions. Do I have to pay up-front, and attempt to claim? Not worth taking the chance right now, until I’ve gathered some clarity here. :confused: :confused: :confused:

Winseer:

Agency’s accountants don’t seem to be interested in helping me out here. HMRC have already told me that as it’s “An expense vital to the performing of your job, it is claimable” - but stop there in their exact definitions. Do I have to pay up-front, and attempt to claim? Not worth taking the chance right now, until I’ve gathered some clarity here. :confused: :confused: :confused:

Yes it probably is classed as an expense but you don’t claim it from HMRC, they are just advising you that once you have paid out the money yourself you can include it as a valid expense when you complete your tax return and so save 20% of the cost. Local companies in my area are starting to put up their prices - previous £50 per session now up to £65 with the one I used.

Winseer:
Do I have to pay up-front, and attempt to claim?

Yes - pay up front, about 5 X £65 in my area.
(You would pay £65 less tax [20%] at the above cost)

ASK THE PROVIDER FOR RECEIPTS.

Also claim your mileage, worth 9 pence per mile in your pocket (20% of 45p).
Use the mileage from AA routing and play it straight, HMRC may check it.

tallyman:

Tipper Tom:

Tell me where I have said dCPC is a level 3 qualification.

As I don’t have a level 3 qualification I can claim for training TOWARDS a level 3. Level 2 is TOWARDS a level 3 I intend to do an NVQ in Plant Operations, this IS a level 3 qualification and as such can be funded. You don’t have to be LTD or LLP to claim, as far as I know the only criteria are that you must be of working age and not have a Level 3 qualification. I have obtained a grant through Somerset Skills and Learning and I intend to apply again next financial year. Career Development Loans are also available and only need to be paid back once you are earning over £24000 a year (which for tax last year I didn’t).

As PAYE, I’m getting meal allowances & mileage already. Not being self-employed though, I’ve not filled out anything like IR35 in my life, hence my confusion over claiming for anything outside of the job as it were.

I was also wanting to do an ADR course during the quiet weeks of January, with perhaps a moffet ticket slung in on top to make up the 35 hours along with my training actually being useful to me, rather than be shown how to get in and out of cabs, wipe my own arse, etc etc…

I’ve been quoted £880 for ADR all levels (except Radioactives) with Moffet training. I’d have to pay for this up front. I’d like to submit the receipt in with my agency timesheet, and get 20% cashback straight off my holiday pot which I would draw on to pay my way.
What I DON’T want to happen, is to drawdown a grand gross on top of my normal pay, and get hit for massive Tax & more importantly NI contribution which to my knowledge I cannot get back in the latter case, once I’ve had it deducted from pay. Having more of the outlay “offset” on the payslip would also keep my headline earnings for the year down a bit as well, thus not shrinking any rebate I might already be due.

I can’t be the only agency bod who’s both not done any DCPC at all yet, AND wants to get a useful qualification in as their 35 hours worth…? :confused: