CPC Questions

Hi,

I’ve been reading through the various posts regarding the CPC, and seem to be getting more and more confused as I go.

I have a pre-97 licence with C1 on it already. So I only need to do modules 1&3 when I do my Cat C, theory, hazard perception & the actual driving test as I understand it.

I had thought about also doing some Periodic training, whilst I go through the C & C+E training. However, I just read on here that Periodic training hours only count once you’ve got the initial CPC - makes sense I suppose. However, if I was driving a C1 professionally, under my existing licence, I would still need the CPC, correct?

So in that case, does that mean that I already have a nominal CPC for C1? If so, and I now do some Periodic, would that only count against the C1 CPC, and not for any future C or C+E?

Sorry if you’re all sitting there asking yourselves what is this guy on, but I’m getting more confused the further I read!

Thanks
Gary

You can start and complete your periodic training as soon as you want - it make no difference what truck tests you pass after that.
Your classed as having grandfather rights (already holding a c1) so have until Sept 2014 to complete your 35 hours.

Hope this helps

John

Initial dcpc is needed before starting periodic dcpc UNLESS you have dcpc aquired/grandfather rights in which case you can start periodic training immediately

Having a LGV C1 before 10/09/2009 like you have means you have aquired LGV dcpc rights until 09/09/2014

Those with aquired dcpc right for LGVs cannot do the initial dcpc modules for LGV even if they let the expiry date pass by- the system will not allow that to happen

To drive any LGV after 09/09/2014 you must have a DQC (driver cpc card) either gained by completing 35 hours of periodic training or by passing initial dcpc modules 2 and 4

Brilliant, thanks guys. I’ll start having a look around.

Gary