cpc question

So i finished my cpc thank god anyway were all talkin and it was raised the the subject about the new cpc!

New cpc you say
According to who ever it was, and car pulling a trailer over 3.5 combined you will need a cpc
So if say a disco pulling a horse box thats easy 3.5t so a cpc will be required or aĺbert from the caravan club pulling his abby delux twin axle beauty he to will need a cpc

Anyone heard this is it true? See some more angry people if true

They’re clamping down on 4 x4 towing trailers delivering cars too :grimacing: range rover vogues with stone ridge anyone? :sunglasses:

Only needed for hire or reward I think !!

The above is correct, only for hire and reward, just been talkin about that on my course me last, blue card daddy waiting :smiley:

The answer is no and yes and maybe!!!

No, you don’t need DCPC. We only have to do is in regard to our profession as professional drivers.

If I wanted to buy a truck and drive around all day carrying my mother in law in the back then I would possibly require an O License to undertake this pleasure. I say possibly because if there was some hire or reward from Mrs. Churst for this taxi service then I would need the O license. Otherwise if you not going to be making an income or generating trade from the vehicle then it is likely you will not require it.

Here is a link to give some more detail. gov.uk/government/uploads/s … _Guide.pdf

Any towing with cars, land rovers, standard Transits. Is not within the scope of DCPC as they are B class vehicles.

They will never bring these vehicles within scope either ( and in doing so continue to encourage people to overload Transits as a result) as in doing so too many members of the public’s eyes would be opened to how excessively bureaucratic commercial driving has become.

Imagine if everyone with a Transit had to do 35 hours classroom training before getting behind the wheel. The whole thing would be abandoned faster than you could say letter to the Daily Mail.

the driver cpc is only for LGV & PCV - a vehicle with 9 seats or less & not more than 3500 GVW is a B not a LGV or PCV so it does not apply even if towing a 3500 MAM trailer

other regs may kick in if it is being used for commercial purposes

ROG:
the driver cpc is only for LGV & PCV - a vehicle with 9 seats or less & not more than 3500 GVW is a B not a LGV or PCV so it does not apply even if towing a 3500 MAM trailer

other regs may kick in if it is being used for commercial purposes

Ah that’s an odd one, that I wasn’t aware of, rig needs a o licence if used hire & reward for van or commercial 4x4, but not a drivers cpc as 3.5t vans & 4x4 are class b vehicles, interesting.

Now then chaps…

It seems that there’s possibly a little confusion between two different sets of Regs.

It’s all to do with the phrase “hire and reward.”

“Hire and reward” is one of the kinds of Operator’s Licence (‘O’ licence,) and has NOTHING to do with DCPC.

DCPC applies to drivers in most commercial operations, but there a few quite tightly worded exemptions.

Just to explain… there are two main types of ‘O’ licence.

1.) Hire and reward. (AKA… Standard National or Standard International.)
A hire and reward ‘O’ licence is needed by a company to operate vehicles that transport goods belonging to other people.

2.) Own Account. (AKA… Restricted.)
An Own Account ‘O’ licence is needed by a company to operate vehicles that transport goods belonging to themselves.

:bulb: Memory tip: Own Account = own goods.

:bulb: The drivers employed by an Own Account operator will still most probably need to do periodic DCPC because driving is their main activity whilst at work.

For example, the XYZ Widget Manufacturing Co Ltd makes and sells widgets.
They transport their own raw materials from the suppliers to their factory and then deliver finished widgets to their customers.
They do this by using their own fleet of LGV vehicles.
They never carry anybody else’s goods.

This company would only need an Own Account ‘O’ licence (because they only carry their own goods,) but their LGV drivers would all need DCPC because their main activity is driving commercially.

The ‘O’ licence system comes from: The Goods Vehicle (Licensing of Operators) Act 1995.

DCPC comes from: The Vehicle Drivers (Certificates of Professional Competence) Regulations 2007.

And so DCPC has nothing whatsoever to do with Hire and Reward. :wink:

dieseldave:
DCPC comes from: The Vehicle Drivers (Certificates of Professional Competence) Regulations 2007.

Yet it only applies to those driving commercially and not privately even though they might be in exactly the same type of vehicle !

If they really wanted all LGV drivers to be competent then logically it should apply to all but then when does being logical and the EU gel together :wink:

Its possible that who ever it was is confusing the DCPC with the ordinary driving licence.Some but not all drivers will need a B+E to drive and pull a trailer.

alamcculloch:
Its possible that who ever it was is confusing the DCPC with the ordinary driving licence.Some but not all drivers will need a B+E to drive and pull a trailer.

More likely they were mixing up the tacho and O licencing regs with dcpc regs and thinking that everything over 3.5 tonnes total MAM weight came into all of them