CPC query

I passed my car test in 1992, so have C1 entitlement on my licence. Reading up on the CPC HERE - dvtani.gov.uk/uploads/cpc/CPCFAQ.pdf - seems to suggest that I don’t have to do modules 2 and 4 of the initial driver CPC, and only have to do the theory/hazard perception test plus driving test? Is that right?

If so, why is that? It seems to me that module 4 would be especially useful for all new LGV drivers, even if some of it is common sense stuff. Is it possible to still do modules 2 and 4 anyway, or is it not worth bothering?

kevchalluk:
and only have to do the theory/hazard perception test plus driving test? Is that right?

Yes as you’ve got acquired rights until 2014.

So I only have to do the 35hrs of periodic training before September 2014?

Seems odd that they don’t go through all the daily checks/load restraint stuff with every new LGV driver

Correct, 35 hrs before Sep 2014.

kevchalluk:
Seems odd that they don’t go through all the daily checks/load restraint stuff with every new LGV driver

They do it’s just you’re not a “new LGV driver” as you’ve been one since 1992 as far as the legislation’s concerned :smiley:

Bonkers! :laughing:

I presume it’s still possible for me to take modules 2 and 4 if I wanted to though? Would some employers be more wary of someone who hasn’t done all four modules of the initial CPC against someone who has them all?

kevchalluk:
Bonkers! :laughing:

I presume it’s still possible for me to take modules 2 and 4 if I wanted to though? Would some employers be more wary of someone who hasn’t done all four modules of the initial CPC against someone who has them all?

If you have aquired/grandfather rights then the system will not allow you to do initial dcpc mods 2 and 4

Fair enough - thanks for clarifying Rog

Hi all, just a quick question… if you get the CPC through grandfather rights and have still to sit the course… how much is the course ? as ive been told on the forums you have to sit in for a minimum of 35 hours…and wot have you gained from your grandfather rights ?, cheers… shytalk.

Prices vary but there’s no need to spend more than around £400 for the 35hrs. You have grandfather rights until Sept 2014. You need to complete the 35 hours if you want to drive professsionally.

Hope that helps, Pete :laughing: :laughing:

shytalk:
Hi all, just a quick question… if you get the CPC through grandfather rights and have still to sit the course… how much is the course ? as ive been told on the forums you have to sit in for a minimum of 35 hours…and wot have you gained from your grandfather rights ?, cheers… shytalk.

I did my CPC a few weeks backs as I’m returning to HGV driving. Costs vary (greatly) from place to place. Mine was £50 per 7hrs + £8.65 (i think) for upload fee.

The silly thing with CPC is that you can do the same course over and over again to gain the 35hrs.

Cheers macci for that not cheap then ? thanks also to you Peter, i did leave a question on another subject for you … i dont know if you read it , its 3 yrs since i drove a truck due to ill health… but now if i pass my medical i wanted some part time work… if i can at the moment get some part time work on 7.5 tonne or van , im not up to speed with this cpc it was spoke about at my last job but just general chit chat, any way to the point so before i can drive any hgv … 7.5 for reward i need to sit the cpc… so these so called grandfather rights is not wot it seems not like years ago ? so around 400 quid and the medical ? i think D.O.T are p*****g up your back, and my 28 yrs experience stands for jack all, thanks again Pete i think i might have to consider the pro’s and cons… shytalk.

shytalk:
Cheers macci for that not cheap then ? thanks also to you Peter, i did leave a question on another subject for you … i dont know if you read it , its 3 yrs since i drove a truck due to ill health… but now if i pass my medical i wanted some part time work… if i can at the moment get some part time work on 7.5 tonne or van , im not up to speed with this cpc it was spoke about at my last job but just general chit chat, any way to the point so before i can drive any hgv … 7.5 for reward i need to sit the cpc… so these so called grandfather rights is not wot it seems not like years ago ? so around 400 quid and the medical ? i think D.O.T are p*****g up your back, and my 28 yrs experience stands for jack all, thanks again Pete i think i might have to consider the pro’s and cons… shytalk.

Commercial driving of any vehicle over 3.5 tonnes is likely to be in the dcpc system

A medical should cost you no more than about £50 - google LGV MEDICALS

You will have aquired/grandfather rights until 09/09/2014 but will need the 35 hours of periodic dcpc training completed to drive virtually anything over 3.5 tonnes commercially after that date

It probably doesn’t matter too much in this case, but dvtani is the norn iron site :wink:

oh bugger, never noticed that! :blush:

oh well, at least it’s been clarified for me anyway…