CPC propose changes

The DfT is planning to split the Driver CPC into two, with a new National qualification (N-DCPC) for drivers working only within the UK, and an International version (I-DCPC) for drivers also doing international journeys.

For the N-DCPC, there will be more flexible options to meet the requirement to complete 35 hours of training every five years. Current training courses must be a minimum of seven hours or two 3.5-hour sessions which must be completed in two consecutive days. Under the new proposals the minimum duration of a training course will be removed and when a training course is split the requirement to complete it across two consecutive days will also be removed.

“The intent is to assist busier drivers and operators as it will enable training to fit around business priorities and provide better work-life balance. Additionally, the removal of a time limit between split courses means costs could be spread,” the DfT said.

There will also be more flexible ways to use e-learning to renew an N-DCPC. Currently, a maximum of two hours of e-learning is permitted per trainer-led course, allowing for a maximum of 10 hours of e-learning in every 35 hours of DCPC training.
Under the DfT proposals, the operational requirement that only two hours of e-learning are permitted per trainer-led course, and the requirement that split courses containing e-learning must be completed across two days, will both be removed.

“This would give drivers and their employers more flexibility on when to complete this training, enabling adaption to business and personal needs,” said the DfT.

Logistics UK welcomed these changes, saying they would give “the logistics industry flexibility in how and when training is taken”.

But the association was less happy about the DfT plan to replace training with a periodic test.

“HGV driving is, by its nature, one of the most heavily regulated industries in the economy for a reason – the risks involved for drivers and other road users cannot be overlooked,” said Chris Yarsley, senior policy manager, road freight regulation at Logistics UK. “The industry remains concerned by this proposal, which would replace training with a periodic test – in the opinion of our members, this will not provide sufficient assessment and evaluation to ensure drivers’ abilities are fully tested and should simply be discounted now.”

This test would consist of around 50 multiple choice and situational judgement questions lasting about one to 1.5 hours. The exact content of this new test would be “developed subject to this consultation” but it is expected to cover topics including drivers’ hours, health and safety, defensive/eco/safe driving, customer service and counter terrorism.

The DfT estimates the test would cost in the region of £40 to £70.

This periodic test would also be one option for drivers whose DCPC has lapsed but want to return to driving. Instead of having to complete the 35 hours of training the government is proposing to provide two routes to regaining their qualification: the periodic test or ‘return to driver’ training.

The return to driving module would be seven hours long and “tailored for the needs of experienced drivers”, covering areas such as working time rules, tachographs and load security.

These two routes would only be available to drivers whose qualification had lapsed by more than two months but less than two years to “avoid purposeful short-term lapses by drivers”.

Declan Pang, RHA director of public affairs and policy, England, said: “We support the proposals for greater flexibility in how the 35 hours of training is delivered, greater use of e-learning and a fast route for returning drivers.

“We note that government will consult further on introducing a new periodic test as an alternative to 35 hours of training for drivers looking to renew their DCPC. We believe the periodic test alone is not in line with maintaining safety standards unless it is combined with mandatory training. Therefore, if a test option was to be introduced, it can only be alongside formal training.”

There are no plans to change the way an I-DCPC is renewed to maintain alignment with EU regulations and the Initial Driver CPC qualification obtained as part of the HGV driving test will also be unchanged.

The proposals follow a two-month consultation earlier this year and will require new legislation which is expected to be introduced next year.

I’d sooner do a 1 off 1.5 hour multiple choice test than the 35 hours ‘training’ for my 5 years continuation. Would think that’s the way a vast majority would go if offered, so some would be worried that their gravy train was about to be derailed

Why have they not addressed the elephant in the room instead of coming out with all that bull ■■■■.
That is, the fact that in however many years this thing has gone on, it has done NOTHING to Imorove the job nor more importantly the professionalism in the job…ie the (official :unamused: ) reason for it in the first place. :bulb:
Or can somebody on here prove me wrong in that last statement?
If you are about to attempt it,.just have a look around for a couple of days before you do.

Either way I could not gaf…I have 2 more sessions to do for this round of ■■■■ takes, which gives me a window of 5 years to decide what to do, then it will be bye bye Rob bye bye job. :sunglasses:

That 50 question test isn’t a big deal. It’s nothing different than a lot of agencies and big companies do already. Had to do something similar at Howdens just a few weeks ago, they have us do one every 6 months. Took maybe 15-20 minutes.

robroy:
That is, the fact that in however many years this thing has gone on, it has done NOTHING to Imorove the job nor more importantly the professionalism in the job…ie the (official :unamused: ) reason for it in the first place.

If anything that’s proof that it needs to be done properly like it is in any other industry with mandatory training and certifications with there being a pass/fail test at the end of each day’s training. I’ve been on far too many where people just pay little to no attention to what is going on because you just have to turn up with no pass/fail test at the end and they learn nothing. It’s interesting to see that the ones I’ve done online on Zoom there’s been a much higher rate of drivers taking notice and participating, there was only one I saw out of the three online sessions I’ve done where a driver was clearly not taking notice and he eventually got punted after repeated warnings so no 7hrs for him. I think the online courses have to be much stricter because one of the DVSA monitors can just drop into a session at any time without warning much easier than classroom based.

That’s the good…

News I’d been hoping for.

Is there a timetable for it please?

So have the powers that be finally realised what a pi55 take the current format has been from day 1? I guess not. No doubt the “exam” in the revised DCPC will be so easy an amoeba could guess correctly. After all in an industry that struggles to keep workers, no “exam” is going to be too challenging as it will defeat the object as many would fail resulting in too few drivers. Professionally competent? I think not.

Once again in it’s current format, the main requirements are to not fall asleep and occasionally chirp up something to prove you are actually listening, there’s no requirement to fully understand or speak the language the course is given in. So much for professional competency.

robbo99.:
So have the powers that be finally realised what a pi55 take the current format has been from day 1? I guess not. No doubt the “exam” in the revised DCPC will be so easy an amoeba could guess correctly. After all in an industry that struggles to keep workers, no “exam” is going to be too challenging as it will defeat the object as many would fail resulting in too few drivers. Professionally competent? I think not.

Once again in it’s current format, the main requirements are to not fall asleep and occasionally chirp up something to prove you are actually listening, there’s no requirement to fully understand or speak the language the course is given in. So much for professional competency.

I pretty much agree.
It could have been a chance to get rid of the total idiots who only got a licence through a fluke, and possibly get a better rate for a professional job, but it wasnt we ended up with an arf`arsed scheme that benefits few.
There are professional trainers out there, but there are also some muppets.

As it is, it`s largely a waste of time.

robbo99.:
So have the powers that be finally realised what a pi55 take the current format has been from day 1? .

No they knew that long before Day 1 when they were devising something.
The whole thing was/is a pr excercise, a ‘seeing to be doing something’ excercise , but with No real substance. :bulb:
But the clever bit, the sting in the tail was the business it created, the generation of money because of it,.and mostly from the drivers own pocket if you worked for a crappy firm.

As I said WHO can honestly look around and say that the UK driver’s perceived professional competence has most evidently and vastly improved since this sh has been implemented?
Here’s a clue…
No ■■■■ er :unamused:

I await with bated breath a response from a certain Mr Luke Vernon :exclamation:

robroy:

robbo99.:
So have the powers that be finally realised what a pi55 take the current format has been from day 1? .

No they knew that long before Day 1 when they were devising something.
The whole thing was/is a pr excercise, a ‘seeing to be doing something’ excercise , but with No real substance. :bulb:
But the clever bit, the sting in the tail was the business it created, the generation of money because of it,.and mostly from the drivers own pocket if you worked for a crappy firm.

As I said WHO can honestly look around and say that the UK driver’s perceived professional competence has most evidently and vastly improved since this sh has been implemented?
Here’s a clue…
No [zb] er :unamused:

Yep fully agree, it just riles me how any of it makes someone professionally competent when the whole DCPC is based on incompetency and therefore not fit for purpose.

Franglais:

robbo99.:

I pretty much agree.
It could have been a chance to get rid of the total idiots who only got a licence through a fluke, and possibly get a better rate for a professional job, but it wasnt we ended up with an arf`arsed scheme that benefits few.
There are professional trainers out there, but there are also some muppets.

As it is, it`s largely a waste of time.

Yep, a waste of time.

RIPPER:
I await with bated breath a response from a certain Mr Luke Vernon :exclamation:

Good luck with that :wink:

robbo99.:
Yep, a waste of time.

And money…

I estimate it’s cost me personally nearly a grand.

yourhavingalarf:

robbo99.:
Yep, a waste of time.

And money…

Yep, me also. Money for nothing as the song goes.

robbo99.:

yourhavingalarf:

robbo99.:
Yep, a waste of time.

And money…

Yep, me also. Money for nothing as the song goes.

Yep, but on this occasion no chicks for free. :laughing:
Only a lot of pointless shear boredom while jumping through their hoops to keep your job.

Its little more than another tax on workers. We managed fine without it for more than one hundred years.

alamcculloch:
Its little more than another tax on workers. We managed fine without it for more than one hundred years.

We did yes, but to put the other pov forward look what happened over the years ffs since the dumbing down of the job.

I personally put it down to 2 things, driver training and lack of policing.
Look around at some ‘drivers’ who are let loose on artics today. :open_mouth:
Invest more in proper grass roots stuff, ‘learning how to actually DRIVE’ an artic with all the differences concentrated on with driving a car, and including a bit of empathy and courtesy.

Then as for those who are actually qualified, come down ruthlessly hard on the d/head contingent, the likes of tailgaters, tear arse type non consideration to others types, and the lowest of the low who give us all a bad name, the inept bridge bashers.

I ain’t saying I know it all in these classes because I dont, but I DO get by quite successfully without knowing what I dont know … there is only so much theory type classroom crap they can chuck at you before you (I) glaze over,.which achieves nothing.
So let them concentrate on the REAL problems I have pointed out to result in professional and competent drivers in reality.

The full response to the consultation was published here:

In the email I received following the response they did mention the following about drivers returning to the sector with an expired CPC which would be a step forward

The government is also looking to speed up the process for drivers whose DCPC has run out to return to driving a lorry, bus or coach in the UK.
This would be by allowing them to take 7 hours of training before returning to the sector and making the remaining 28 hours up within the first year.
This would only be for NDCPC and is not expected to be introduced until 2025.