CPC practical demonstration test

This week I took my LGV mod 4 and failed because I only got 10% on section 1 (ability to load the vehicle with due regard for safety rules and proper vehicle use). The first task was: Show me the checks you would make to ensure the vehicle is not overloaded AND If you are still in doubt, what else could you do?

I demonstrated a visual check of the vehicle suspension (and springs), checked the body for leaning, mudflaps on floor and confirmation by taking vehicle to nearest weighbridge. I forgot to say back tires touching,(which my instructor never told me) but surely he wouldn’t have knocked off 10% for that? 5% maybe…

These are all the things on the answer sheet and the only checks my instructor taught me. Does anyone have any alternative checks I could provide incase I get this next time on my test? No doubt it would be useful when I actually start working. Would be greatly appreciated, cheers.

Well you have the weight on the plate in your cab, you ‘should’ know the weight of your load. Some trucks have an indicator on the instrument panel (or after market additions) - though I’m not sure that’s an answer they’re looking for. How did you fare in the rest of it?

iomex:
Well you have the weight on the plate in your cab, you ‘should’ know the weight of your load. Some trucks have an indicator on the instrument panel (or after market additions) - though I’m not sure that’s an answer they’re looking for. How did you fare in the rest of it?

Might not be what hes looking for but it’s worth mentioning; the more answers I have to offer the better so thanks for replying. I got 15%-20% on the sections which followed but getting less than 15% is an automatic fail so this section completely let me down

Your instructor should have given you a check sheet which can be referred to on the test

Yeah I was told to just carry on talking until the examiner stops me. When you’ve said the magic words they’re after, they’ll bring out the next question. He said it’s better to waffle on with answers they’re not really listening for, on the off-chance something you don’t think is relevant actually is.

Some of the questions changed in Dec 16. With that particular question the question is the same but the correct answers have changed. They are no longer looking for leaning body or the shape of the springs or touching mud flaps. Those answers are no longer on the examiners answer sheet. You must ask your trainer for the latest questions. The old EP YouTube video is no longer guaranteed to get you through the test.

As for keeping on talking it’s a doubtful tactic. You will only score points if you give a required answer. I.e. On the daily vehicle check question you can mention check oil, tachograph, speed limiter, number plates, engine coolant, height indicator, fuel gauge, and load security and score Zero points. It’s about saying what they’re looking for.

This is an example of choosing the trainer carefully. Good luck for the next attempt

2017 video from EP