CPC Part4

Hello all

It has been a while since I have posted on here, however I have completed my CAT C and will be moving onto CAT C+E very shortly.

I started my lessons with the (wrong) attitude of “I can drive a car, and I can drive a car well. This will be easy”…how wrong was I!!!

I failed my 1st test, if I am honest my nerves completely took over and was not confident in what I was doing (even though in my lessons I was picking things up and coming along with flying colours) and this was summed up by the examiner at the end of the test saying “I think you have a confidence issue”, and he was right my driving was appalling I agree with him. (failed with 13 minors)

The bit that I did really well on my test was the bit I was most worried about, the reversing exercise.

I was so upset with myself after all the hard work I had put in, and the thought of having to go through it all again (and the cost) I doubted my self whether or not I should be doing this.

I got a retest 3 days later, and on the morning I had complete control of my nerves this time, and armed my self with the attitude of “I can do this, and I am not forking out for a 3rd retest + Fee’s”.

Me and my absolutely wonderful and very patient instructor went out for a warm up 1st and off we went for the test.

Reversing exercise, nailed (although he asked me if I wanted to get out and have a look (I declined, as by asking me that I wondered if I had done it correctly)) at this time the examiner jumped in the gab, and said “off we go whenever your ready”.

Someone smiled on me that morning, because I drove the MAN Truck (With a split 8 gearbox) like I had driven it for years, completely at ease with it, no fighting with the gearbox and did everything that was asked.

at about 1 hour 20 min into the test I was getting tired ( I had 2 hours sleep the night before and was up at 4am) and my concentration lapsed I pulled of the roundabout into the lane I was already in ( 1st minor, my examiner said I should have pulled over to let cars past) and I selected the wrong gear at another round about (2 minors) and we got back to the test centre where he had told me I had passed my test!!

I was buzzing days, this was in November and I have not been a truck since (I have not been avoiding it (I have to do my part 4) I have just been busy with work commitments and other things)

I have my part 4 training this weekend, any one tell me what it’s like?

I am so nervous (terrified) about getting my 1st driving job, anyone the same

I am equally terrified about starting my CAT C+E, anyone the same when they did theirs?

Sorry for the long post I just wanted to share my experience with you.

Regards

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=60945

Well Done on passing even though it took 2 attempts.

Don’t worry about the CE until you get to your training. It will all come together just as your cat C training did.

As for Mod 4. There are trainers out there that train driving very well but have very little idea how to train for this.

Whoever you go with, make sure they have a demonstration trolley to demonstrate load restraint.

A lot of trainers use a large sprinter van for Mod4 as its less things to worry about.

I don’t know what area you are in and it may help as others may have had good/bad experiences of training for Mod4

TLGV do mod 4 and it seems you visited them last year

Mod 4 is a peice of ■■■■, general knowledge stuff for the job you’ll be doing that you should be clued up on , I got 100% on mine, just be thorough In everything you do, the main part to watch out for is the trafficking and drugs question, the lad who done it with me when asked to check the vehicle for illegal packages etc forgot to do one thing and that was to lift the sun visors up in the cab and he failed that question

A lot of trainers use a large sprinter van for Mod4 as its less things to worry about.

Interesting comment. We used to use our 5 tonne Daily for Mod 4 but we find it easier on a “normal” truck. With Mod 4 there are a number of questions that can come up relating to air brakes. It’s simply (IMO) to demonstrate this on a vehicle that has actually got air brakes than to try and talk through the answer.

The downside is that there is slightly more walking due to the length of the vehicle. But you cant have everything!

Good luck, Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Peter Smythe:

Interesting comment. We used to use our 5 tonne Daily for Mod 4 but we find it easier on a “normal” truck. With Mod 4 there are a number of questions that can come up relating to air brakes. It’s simply (IMO) to demonstrate this on a vehicle that has actually got air brakes than to try and talk through the answer.

The downside is that there is slightly more walking due to the length of the vehicle. But you cant have everything!

Good luck, Pete :laughing: :laughing:

I knew someone would differ in opinion :wink:

Hi All
Many thanks for your advice, all taken on board

Peter, can the DSA ask questions relating to a vehicle when the vehicle does not have what they are asking about ?

The DSA tried this on the tail lift question when many do not have one on the vehicle so they simply got another set of questions that did not include it for that test

Peter, can the DSA ask questions relating to a vehicle when the vehicle does not have what they are asking about ?

Yes. It happens all the time. eg on the bus Mod 4 there are always questions about kneeling suspension, disability access, wheelchair security to the point they carry photos to assist.

On trucks they always want to hear about security cords for a tilt/curtainside although they are faced with a box body (in our case). Also making sure the reverse camera lens is clean and clear and heated mirrors working. We dont have cameras but the question is still there.

Pete :laughing: :laughing:

I was asked on my mod 4 “how do you check the unladen weight of the vehicle?”

I didn’t know then and answered take it to a weighbridge…which was wrong…my instructor didn’t even know!

The examiner didn’t tell me the answer which I thought was a bit stupid…anyway it seems the answer is there should be a sign in the cab with the unladen weight illustrated on it

It was a bit frustrating that my examiner didn’t know like :blush:

Vehicles presented for Mod 4 test should have the unladen weight marked somewhere. It’s not a legal requirement and is frequently not to be found in the real world. IMO this question shouldn’t be there as it bears no resemblance to what the driver will be faced with on a daily basis.

Well I passed!! - 100% Well chuffed with that

Excellent day of training at Teesside LGV on the Friday, swotted up on the training material and the notes I made, during the weekend. and took the test today (Monday)

Got my C+E Booked for the middle of FEB.

Well done. Pleased to hear that. And good luck for the next bit.

Thanks Pete.

As other people have said, listen carefully & think about what you are going to say… and if in doubt get them to repeat the question (I did on the 1st one) I can’t believe that I got 100% but I spent all weekend reading the training material so it must have paid off.