Cpc paper 2

I took the cilt transport manager cpc today. Already passed the multiple choice in November, has anyone else taken paper 2 today?

I watched from a safe distance as some other nervous sweaty people sat the exam, does that count :smiley:

I wouldnā€™t recommend fretting over your answers, itā€™s all done for now. Hopefully you were adequately prepared by doing a proper course and got some good tuition, including some practice exams

Thanks for the reply, thereā€™s no fretting whatsoever. Iā€™m interested in other peopleā€™s perception of those particular questions.

Thereā€™s not many people on TN who will have done TMCPC at any time, let alone recently: Youā€™d get more feedback from one of the many TM-related FB groups.

However, as it is an exam people only need to sit once (apart from resits), individual perceptions of what the exam was ā€œlikeā€ are of very little value, eg someone whoā€™s previously done a degree in a serious subject may think it was ā€œchallenging but achievableā€, someone who only has a C.S.E in woodwork might think it was unbelievably hard.

Understood. I think your on the money here

Took mine way back in the 80s.
Transport then was so different, making it irrelevant in todays industry.

Almost as farcical as the drivers DCPC versionā€¦but only almost.

I have some involvement in teaching TM-CPC, as well as TM Refreshers, and as an ETM in the real world: thereā€™s nothing farcical about a numpty TM (whether newly qualified numpty, or old and out of touch with current legislation numpty) who knows so little about the (ever increasing) legislation that he lands his client in a Public Inquiry. Even more so when that TM ends up losing their ā€œGood Reputeā€
(see Statutory Document No.1 Statutory document 1: Good repute and fitness - GOV.UK)

Worst of all is when they are so clueless the TM loses his GR and the client has their O-licence revoked, for any one of the many, many transgressions.

Pick a Traffic Area Office then randomly select a Written Decision, highly entertaining:

I would say that the scenario you point out about ā€˜numpty TMsā€™ is entirely farcical tbh.

And as for ā€˜Real worldā€™ the haulage industry is awash with ā€˜numpty TMā€™ s, the likes of those who push their drivers to the limit with no thought for their welfare for example.

A TM CPC certificate is like a licence to a driver, it can (and does) mean nothing in terms of competenceā€¦
Granted not in all cases.

In fairness, any academic qualification to do a job is only the beginning of becoming good at the job in question.

Acquiring an HGV licence is only the beginning of learning how to be a skilled and effective driver, something that has completely evaded the powers that be, when they decided that the answer to the driver shortage was to make it easier and in some cases, cheaper to pass the test.

The general standard of HGV driving seems to be falling as fast as that of the motor car and van.
Lane discipline does not happen and apparently driving on a motorway is just a case of setting the cruise control and then doing something else than actually driving the lorry.
Any day of the week, you can look into a cab and see a driver whose mind is on something else entirely, often even looking though the windscreen or at the mirrors is too much trouble.

No different with acquiring a TM CPC, it doesnā€™t equip you to do the job, it just lets you start learning.
A quick scan of the link to the decisions shows numerous cases where the TMs themselves were possibly incompetent, but more often, rather than incompetent, intentionally bent.

As to ignoring driversā€™ welfare and working them too hard etc, often, this is not the TM at all but a traffic clerk, who may never have even sat in a cab and would have no idea how to manage a haulage operation.

My experience of the ministry, as it was once known, was that in general, from the TMā€™s point of view, they were there to enforce the correct operation of a haulage enterprise and if you worked with them they were actually on your side.
The ones that thought that the ministry men were not serious and carried on failing to do proper maintenance, letting, or making the drivers break the law and not keeping proper records are the ones whose names appear in the link.

1 Like

Way I see it, a Transport Manager is exactly that, the manager of transport, just as an IT Manager is the manager of IT. Anyone coming into a TM position with zero background in transport is farcical, entering one of the most regulated professions with serious consequences when it all goes belly up.

In a previous life, I worked for a company which employed a TM who took I think it was 6 attempts to pass his TM CPC, his previous experience in the firm was the manager of cucumbers prior to his role as TM, during his tenure as TM he picked up his second drink driving conviction thus losing his licence, I mean how farcical, anybody can become professionally competent and they dont even have to have passed a driving test.

Transport is a very much use a plaster to repair an amputated limb kind of sector, (like many others) and as far as I can see it ainā€™t going to get better any time soon.

There are TMā€™s who merely have that as a job title, who could be comparable to your example; then there are qualified Transport Managers who are nominated on an O-licence - there is a world of difference between them, not least of all a raft of legal responsibilities with go with the latter category. See particularly Page 2, Paragraph 2 of Statutory Document No. 3

Which is why the TC exists: those who are not competent can find their self the subject of a Public Inquiry where they will reap the ā€œrewardsā€ of their incompetence

The TM example I quoted was indeed nominated on the company O licence and didnā€™t know his ass from his elbow. This totally contradicts your example of this utopian world you appear to live in.

No it doesnā€™t ā€œtotally contradictā€ anything, and my world is very much grounded in the reality of the industry. You can continue with your current provocative dialogue if you want, I donā€™t care, but I have no time for it so I wonā€™t be seeing it. Iā€™m assuming the ā€œfriend / foeā€ options to block people have been transferred to the new forum.

Bye, see ya wouldnā€™t wanna be ya.

Just to stick my neb inā€¦aye,.I know it aint like me.:joy:

I canā€™t see why you take offence, just because people who are not directly involved in this as much as you do not share your enthusiasm for it all.

I understand you have a vested interest so you are going to defend your position, the way DCPC trainers are in denial that the whole cluster ā– ā– ā– ā–  of DCPC is just a non substance, pr excercise all for effect.
A fishmonger in a market aint gonna shout ā€˜ā€˜Stinking fish for saleā€™ā€™ is he.
No offence meant, just the way I see it.

I aint saying the TM CPC scenario is the same, but it does not matter a ā– ā– ā– ā–  how well TMJoe is trained, how many exams he has passed, or how many letters he has after his name, he is still part of this crock of crap UK haulage industry, where little thought in stark REALITY is given to H&S in terms of drivers being ran ragged to the last drop of blood, to maximum working days with very little sleep,.being put under telephone pressure, and all the rest of it.

Way I see it is the TM (who has qualified all his criteria) is all part of it,.who not only condones it but perpetuates it.

So the synopsis from my pov isā€¦
Professionally Competent my arseā€¦and in name/label only.

Thatā€™s pretty much on point however I believe the powers that be are changing the test to be more relevant. How, I donā€™t know but the test I took wasnā€™t really fit for purpose in my opinion. Who knows what theyā€™ll change it toā€¦,

Pretty much agree with your post robroy.

Thatā€™s a lot of negativity considering you used to have your own O-licence and trucks, and (I presume) were your own TM. If you were still running your own show youā€™d probably have a different view, that is if you wanted to hang on to that O-licence.

Unless itā€™s announced on the link below, itā€™s just rumour.