CPC National

I am working towards my CPC natioanl, can anyone offer advice on the exams
cheers

I studied using EOS notes and they were great

I also bought the EOS home study kit read it for 6 weeks and passed first time. :smiley:

But — and this is a big but, I know how to study and about 40-50% of the course I had the core knowledge on. I don’t know what my mark was and hell who cares I have the certificate now, but I bet it was a close run thing.

DieselDave is right where elsewhere he say’s a course is a good idea over home study.

What I did notice however is where I sat my exam I was in a room with 14 other people all who had been trained at that centre. I was the only home study person there. I would say from conversations about half were re-sitting all or part of the CPC some for a second or third time. From chatting around the coffee machine they appeared to have the knowledge but what they hadn’t been taught was how to present it so the examiner can see you have the knowledge.

In the case study I reckon that got me a pass. The others didn’t appear to have been told to show ALL workings out which I think must have got me a few marks. It’s mentioned in the examiners notes on the OCR website so when they come to mark they are looking for it.

If you get your stuff together now and go for the June exam that should be about right and there are plenty of people on here to consult and offer support. Must go now — need to polish my certificate, a bit of dust has just settled on the frame … :laughing:

Im doing the exam in march and ive got homestudy from friendberry but im struggling to take it in. Im reading it but the knowledge is just coming back out my ears :laughing:

Might need to take a few days of work as im also not getting the study time in. I thought i could do a lot in the lorry but work hasnt went quiet like it usually does this time of year - its still full tilt at my depot :cry:

merc0447:
Im doing the exam in march and ive got homestudy from friendberry but im struggling to take it in. Im reading it but the knowledge is just coming back out my ears :laughing:

Might need to take a few days of work as im also not getting the study time in. I thought i could do a lot in the lorry but work hasnt went quiet like it usually does this time of year - its still full tilt at my depot :cry:

Don’t study for more than 30 minutes at a time,you will not take it in if you study for long periods.The best way is to study for 15 minutes,then put it down and come back to it later and study for another 15 minutes.I think if you study for short spells several times each day,concentrate on certain sections until you have taken them in,then move on to the next section.Best of luck.

Go to the OCR website and download past papers, this does help

thanks for all the above, i actually got the course material from the cpc centre website, got some mock papers also from friendberry, have the 3 exams booked for the 4th march. Hoping it goes well, if i pass all 3 the first time ill be happy

merc0447:

Doing the exams in march myself, im just keeping going at it, thats all you can do, its starting to sink in (i think). some days off before will help

massey1200:
Go to the OCR website and download past papers, this does help

Cheers, yes i have already done this, searched all over the net for details
thanks

gazzaman58:
I also bought the EOS home study kit read it for 6 weeks and passed first time. :smiley:

But — and this is a big but, I know how to study and about 40-50% of the course I had the core knowledge on. I don’t know what my mark was and hell who cares I have the certificate now, but I bet it was a close run thing.

DieselDave is right where elsewhere he say’s a course is a good idea over home study.

What I did notice however is where I sat my exam I was in a room with 14 other people all who had been trained at that centre. I was the only home study person there. I would say from conversations about half were re-sitting all or part of the CPC some for a second or third time. From chatting around the coffee machine they appeared to have the knowledge but what they hadn’t been taught was how to present it so the examiner can see you have the knowledge.

In the case study I reckon that got me a pass. The others didn’t appear to have been told to show ALL workings out which I think must have got me a few marks. It’s mentioned in the examiners notes on the OCR website so when they come to mark they are looking for it.

If you get your stuff together now and go for the June exam that should be about right and there are plenty of people on here to consult and offer support. Must go now — need to polish my certificate, a bit of dust has just settled on the frame … :laughing:

Cheers, im going for the march exams, ineresting about what you say with being the only homestudy person there, think ill be the same. have some knowledge from my work role. so hoping that and my intense stuying will go a long way to passing

paulrobbo:

gazzaman58:

Cheers, im going for the march exams, ineresting about what you say with being the only homestudy person there, think ill be the same. have some knowledge from my work role. so hoping that and my intense stuying will go a long way to passing

This was the same when i sat mine… there was me and one other and who had done home study… (got my notes from EOS website) passed mine… booked my international cpc for march exam.

If you get stuck on the multiple choice read the answers as you will probably be able to eliminate 2 which are completely wrong then you’ll have a better idea for the correct answer.

Good luck everyone.

I bought a book to do home study but eventually decided to do a 6 day course with Novadata. I’m glad I did, it’s a a hard exam and being taught by someone who knows what’s likely to be in the papers helps a lot.

March case study is out

ocr.org.uk/download/prm/ocr_ … mar_11.pdf

gazzaman58:
March case study is out

ocr.org.uk/download/prm/ocr_ … mar_11.pdf

I hope dieseldave gives us his views on it please :smiley:

btw gazzaman58 well in i forgot all about this!

So as I see it
Compulsory scenario questions will be

Operator licensing so that’s what he needs to do for the new office in Hull
Driver’s hours so schedules on either Boffo route 1 or 2
Planned Maintenance
Vehicle Costing
Vehicle Selection

The other probable questions could be

Business & Company Law
Health & Safety
Financial Management Techniques
Weights & Dimensions
Safe Loading
Driver Licensing
Traffic Accident Procedure
Insurance
People Management — Job descriptions/recruitment for the new people?
Org Charts, KPI’s Work Plans — reckon org charts a certainty

But can’t see an ADR question here — but we had that back in December.

Even more glad I passed — mind you it was tougher in dieseldave’s day — he had to calculate feed costs, new shoe’s and manure disposal regs in his answers !!!

Well ive been hitting the reading materials like a trojan this past week but ive got a few questions on the actual test.

What is the past marks for unit 1 (30 questions) and unit 2 (40 questions) i hope to christ you dont need to get them all right :open_mouth:

Also how is unit 4 marked? Do they read the content and judge it on a clinical answer or do you need filler to make it look good? What about spelling, grammer etc is this taken into account?

merc0447:
Well ive been hitting the reading materials like a trojan this past week but ive got a few questions on the actual test.

What is the past marks for unit 1 (30 questions) and unit 2 (40 questions) i hope to christ you dont need to get them all right :open_mouth:

Also how is unit 4 marked? Do they read the content and judge it on a clinical answer or do you need filler to make it look good? What about spelling, grammer etc is this taken into account?

You need 70% on unit 1 and 2. thats 22 questions on the first and 28 questions correct on the second. you need 50% on unit 4, clinical anwser i think but with your workings out, don’t worry too much about spelling and grammer.
only less than 2 weeks till my exams now. mega studying and mock exams

paulrobbo:

merc0447:

You need 70% on unit 1 and 2. thats 22 questions on the first and 28 questions correct on the second. you need 50% on unit 4, clinical anwser i think but with your workings out, don’t worry too much about spelling and grammer.
only less than 2 weeks till my exams now. mega studying and mock exams

Module 4 is 50% overall but you need to score at least 65% in the first 4 questions.
EG 100 marks overall 50 is pass rate but you need at least 32/33 of them from the first 4 questions meaning only 17 required from last four questions

Hope that makes sense? Good luck to the guys taking March 4th Exam, hope we all pass :smiley:

It’s usually the case study where you have to write an essay that let’s most blokes down as if you don’t have recent essay writing experience, this can be challenging.

I was the other way around and failed first time on one of the multiple choice sections so just resat that module and passed.

I did the home study as I couldn’t face a class room to be honest and it’s easier to fit the studying in around your job this way although some blokes need the class room as they aren’t very good at studying on their own.

As has been mentioned you can get hold of past case studies so it is worth practising with some of these.

Had booked the 3rd and 4th off work, the 3rd for a bit of cramming and the 4th for the tests. But i got told today a isotrac trainer course in milton keynes ive to go has switched to the 3rd. So now i’ll be doing this course on the 3rd driving back on the 4th to get to glasgow for the test at 09.30am.

Just friggin typical :unamused: