CPC National & International

right folks i have booked my CPC for 31st august - 11th September with mainstream in kent as part of my resettlement. as i dont want to go into it half blind what books should i get to aid my preperations for the course.

i know there are a few out there that are worth buying and some that arent. which ones do you recommend and how much are they?

cheers folks

Giblsa:
right folks i have booked my CPC for 31st august - 11th September with mainstream in kent as part of my resettlement. as i dont want to go into it half blind what books should i get to aid my preperations for the course.

i know there are a few out there that are worth buying and some that arent. which ones do you recommend and how much are they?

cheers folks

high mate have a look at this one

amazon.co.uk/Study-Manual-Pr … 079&sr=8-3

amazon.co.uk/Certificate-Pro … gy_b_img_b

This member has just passed it viewtopic.php?f=4&t=48560

Giblsa:

cheers folks

Hi Lee,

My suggestion is that you contact the provider and ask which book goes with the course that you’re doing.

Most providers who run the CPC by classroom attandance tend to use the EOS books and PowerPoint presentations.
An alternative is Friendberry, but I’d imagine that a provider who deals with you resettlement guys would use the EOS book.

Quite a number of providers offer a ‘taster’ day a bit nearer the time, I’ll guess that your provider might</mystic Dave mode> and once your booking is confirmed, would use the ‘taster’ day to also issue you with your course study materials and complete the necessary ID checks and your registration with OCR all in one fell swoop.

:wink: Steady as she goes, maintain present course and speed. :grimacing:

delboytwo:

Giblsa:

cheers folks

The first of these books is 2 years old, the second 5. If you factor in the length of time taken to write, stuff could be well out of date.

delboytwo:

Hi delboytwo, I know your heart is in the right place, but the books you suggested have the possiblity of assisting a CPC exam candidate to sink faster than whale-■■■ in their exams for exactly the reason given by scott42

I used to teach both Nat and Int CPCs and I can tell you that I’ve had to sort out the confusion caused to candidates who made the GREAT MISTAKE of buying out-of-date books or ‘googled’ for info in advance of their course, so my post above was written in the light of personal experience. :wink:

I’ll repeat my advice to anybody taking a course: Simply ask the course provider which book goes with the course and exams that you’ll be taking, because doing your own research might result in some kind of grief.
IMHO, the grief usually comes from being initially clueless about the scope and/or depth of knowledge required, so how would you even know that what you’re looking at is relevant and at the level you need? At that time, being clueless isn’t a problem because isn’t that your reason for enrolling on the course in the first place? :grimacing:

Hi dieseldave& scott42

thanks for for putting me in the clear about that, like you said dave just trying to help, have an other book that mite be good as its from a provider, not know of the content though.

cpc-centre.co.uk/rev2/

hope there mite be of help

delboytwo:
Hi dieseldave& scott42

thanks for for putting me in the clear about that, like you said dave just trying to help, have an other book that mite be good as its from a provider, not know of the content though.

cpc-centre.co.uk/rev2/

hope there mite be of help

Hi Del,

If you look at the headline on the page in your link, (not buried in the small-print :wink: ,) it clearly says:

Latest 2008 CPC Complete Home Study Training Courses for just £69.99

Just as an tiny example of what I’m trying to get you to realise, there was a change to the dangerous goods Regs that came into force on 01/07/09, so here are some questions for you to consider:

Q1: Will OCR deem it necessary to include exam questions relating to those changes?
Q2: If they do, when will they implement the changes into the exam questions?

Q3: What other changes have there been in the many other Regulations that affect road transport industry?
Q4: How many of these changes will be included into the CPC exam questions and at what point in time?

Sorry Del, but there is a time-lag between actual changes in legislation and some/all of those changes being included into the CPC exam questions. A very good example of this is when exam questions on Schedule 4 were introduced without a good proportion of the CPC training industry being aware of it. That led to that subject not being taught, which led to lots of dropped marks. :frowning:

IMHO, Out-of-date material should be avoided like the plague, because it might well lead to confusion and dropped/lost exam marks. :smiley:

Just remember that you are being taught to pass an exam - not to run a transport operation.

I took mine a long time ago and there was loads of stuff on C&U which changed so fast it was all out of date by the time I got home. The important thing is to get the certificate and then to keep up to date on what matters to you in your particular job.

The cert is for life so, although 90% of what i studied is totally irelevant now I could still be a TM for an International operator. Now what are the rules on TIR? :confused:

Giblsa:
‘…booked my CPC … with mainstream … as part of my resettlement … what should … I get to aid my preperations for the course…’

One of their company digs is reportedly (yeah, yawn) haunted, but judging by their other one that I stayed at I’d suggest prepare for the prospect of kipping on a really clapped out bed.

Don’t book any evenings out - it’s full-on ‘Homework City’ and your brain will hurt. Having passed 75% of it I dunno if the outstanding 25% is worth doing: You wanna do it (driving) …or dream of it?

If you really fancy a bit of light reading, try these

applying for an o licence businesslink.gov.uk/Transpor … V%2074.pdf

Applications and decisions vosa.gov.uk/vosacorp/publica … icarea.htm

Guide to maintaining roadworthiness businesslink.gov.uk/Transpor … PCV_09.pdf

You need to know about these things.

I wouldnt bother with any books mate to be honest. They should send somestuff out to you to read before you do the course anyway

Has anyone got any of this years books for sale? Going to try the home course as a bit far away from doing the week(s) training.

Thanks