CPC modules 2 & 4

hi all,

new on here, passed my class c on friday 1st time. Soon as we got back i booked in for my c + e test at end of the month and training. I have been working as a driving instructor and also already had my cat d bus licence which was automatic. So i was happy that this cat d would now automatically be upgraded to a manual licence.

However after getting home, i thought i would apply for some part time work with a few agencies. I was then reading online that i would have to complete the 4 cpc modules 1st. I had heard of cpc as a bus driver and knew it was in force for lgv drivers as well. however, i did not know that it had to be completed before i could work. when i went for my training my instructor briefly mentioned i might have to complete moduels 2 + 4 but was not sure as i had a cat d licence (gained in 2003). my driving licence was gained end of 1997 so i do not have the automatic 7.5 tonne entitlement. my instructor said not sure if would have to do it as i had the cat d, but did not mention that if needed, i would have to possess it immediately, as in effect it was a vital part of the licence. i had just assumed it would have to be completed in a few years time as my cat d one would have to be.

I am annoyed that my trainers have not explained any of this, working as an instructor myself i would never not fully explain the full process to my pupils of qualification. when i rang them to discuss this, they told me it was best to gain my c + e 1st then do my cpc modules 2 + 4. would i not be better preparing for them now? how do i book the module test? is module 2 done in a theory test centre? i could of done that ages ago and been working on the module 4 test now. it seems the wrong way round to me. I am still unsure if having my cat d licence excludes me from having to do these extra 2 modules as i understand that only cpc is required on either the cat d or c and i am exempt til 2013 on the cat d? any thoughts or advice on this greatly appreciated.

p.s. whats more annoying is that i have just been offered a part time job delivering buses and possibly wagons nationwide, now not sure if i could drive the wagon, just the bus.

this is the information i have found online about aquired rights in relation to drivers who are excluded from initial cpc training, but to me still unclear if my cat d (bus) excludes me from the lgv cpc?

Some professional drivers will not have to pass the initial Driver CPC qualification and will hold the Driver CPC by ‘acquired rights’ for a five year period.

These drivers will be:

bus or coach drivers who obtained a vocational licence (D, D1, DE and D1E licence categories) before 10 September 2008
lorry drivers who obtained a vocational licence (C, C1, CE and C1E licence categories) before 10 September 2009
However, within these five years you need to complete 35 hours of periodic training to keep your Driver CPC.

You will need to finish your periodic training by:

9 September 2013 (bus and coach drivers)
9 September 2014 (lorry drivers)

i have just rang the dsa and they have assured me i do not need to do the initial cpc training as my cat d covers me, but they could not offer mne anything i could use to prove it online :confused: what a saga. i just want something in written clsarification as my training company are saying i do need it

I’m not to sure on this but if I had to guess then I would think you would have to do it. I’m sure when I was booking my theory tests online there was an option in the drop down menu with something like ‘cpc conversion from bus to lgv’ or something to that effect. have a look on there but to me that tells me that you do have to do at least some sort of theory. And it seems crazy that a bus cpc would cover you for lorries as you learn how to load it etc. but as I say I just guessing

Hi jiggacook and welcome

:smiley:Â
:smiley:

AFAIAA you already have A cat D, so you would not need to do the initial cpc (Your test pass updates your bus licence, so your bus cpc grandfather rights apply to lorrys)

As has been said, you would need to do your 35 hours periodic cpc training by 2014

TIPS & RECOMENDATIONS

All the LGV TRAINING TIPS, including the
Recommended LGV training schools that have
been recommended by members, can be accessed by clicking
HERE
The link includes
THE INITIAL DRIVER CPC which started on 10 Sept 2009.

Official DSA videos of modules 1, 2, 3 & 4

JOB HUNTINGÂ :question:Â - A read of
THIS POST may be useful - also
CV & Interview tips

First year experience as a newbie after passing CE (with pics)

Forum with some useful stuff and
Forum for questions on drivers hours

thanks for the helpful replies,

hi semtex,

I spoke to my training company again and they were adament I have to do the initial cpc modules 2 + 4 as i was starting from scratch with my cat c as i did not have the pre 97 7.5 tonne entitlement. I rang the dsa to gain confirmation from them only for the advisor to be reading from the internet and telling me i probably would have to do the cpc initial entitlement. typical dsa, introducing something and then not having the definitive answers.

I will keep pursuing the matter to try and find a definitive answer as i dont expect to ring thre dsa and be given two different answers. i understand this only came in last september but what confusion. how is the cpc system checked? would an employer ask to see my cpc card or is it just a legal requirement i carry one? what are the penaltys for driving commercially without one and being stopped?

hopefully i can find a definitive answer, once again many thanks for the help

heres a link to the online theory booking page that I was talking about earlier direct.gov.uk/prod_consum_dg … 86295.html

When you click ‘start booking’, and select cpc conversion it says this: Only select the Large Goods CPC Conversion test if you have a Full or Provisional LGV Licence and have previously obtained the Passenger Carrying Driver CPC qualification. This tells me that you at least need to do the mod 2 cpc theory, and I would guess the mod 4 practical as well.

jiggacook

CONGRATULATIONS ON PASSING C

The definitive 100% answer is that you do have to do both Mod 2 and Mod 4 for the LGV CPC.

The acquired rights you gained from the PCV do not count for the LGV.

If you had passed the PCV after 09/09/08 and taken the PCV CPC you would now be able to take the “Conversion Exam” but this is not the case.

We have recently trained a person in LGV that had his PCV for years and has also taken the 35 hours PCV CPC periodic training. He stil had to take the LGV CPC.

The National Driver CPC helpline tel No is 0191 201 8112. They will confirm what I am saying.

Hope this helps

regards

John

flairtraining.co.uk

Welcome jiggacook congratulations on passing your cat c Fri cant give the fireworks but heres some smilies :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :wink: jennie x

cheers guys! :smiley:

thanks for the invaluable help john (lgv trainer) i had searched hi and low for answers, what a joke the dsa could not advise me of this helpline.

I have just contacted the dsa cpc helpline and they have told me i do not need to do the initial cpc modules 2+ 4 after asking for my driver licence number! I am not holding my breath though, i have asked for some written confirmation from them and they have told me to email my request and they will send it out to me an official letter. I will let you all know what the outcome is on this saga lol

Should it really be this hard lol, i want something in writing off them as I have been told different things from the dsa all the way. this helpline seemed more in the know but i want written proof lol

CONGRATULATIONS jiggacook on passing your C test ,& welcome :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Can someone advise please. I passed my car test in 1977 (yep I know old codger etc etc). I therefore have grand father rights re CPC (or so I’m told). I’m presently in the process of taking my class c licence and hope to go on to C + E. If successful should I then take a CPC course or use my money to do ADR or Hiab■■?

Cheers tigger1

tigger1:
Can someone advise please. I passed my car test in 1977 (yep I know old codger etc etc). I therefore have grand father rights re CPC (or so I’m told). I’m presently in the process of taking my class c licence and hope to go on to C + E. If successful should I then take a CPC course or use my money to do ADR or Hiab■■?

Cheers tigger1

Hi tigger yes you have grandfather rights so you are covered until i think its 2014 when you need to have completed 35 hrs of training before that date the 35 hrs have to be done every 5 years so you can do them all at once or mabe one days course a year if im wrong here im sure someone will correct me but i think thats the case :smiley:

and you no old codger :wink:

jennie x

Jennie thanks, obviously like all newbe wannabe drivers, I,m under no misapprehension about how difficult it will be to find work. I have a few qualifications that might help me, but I’m wondering if its worth my while doing extra courses like Hiab or ADR or is this something that I should look to do in two years or so…

Thanks again tigger1 x

Hi Tigger.

Jennie is right you have till 2014. But bear in mind you must have completed your 35 BY 2014 (10.9.2014 to be exact) and not after

I think It is disgusting how you can call the DSA and depending on who you speak to you get a different answer.

I was mulling this over with another trucknet member Diesel Dave the other day and to be honest i feel the more tickets you have to your licence the better as the options for work increase the one thing he did say was look at the area you live in more building work etc hiab probably better or if lot of companies delivering dangerous goods then adr best if money tight and can only do one or if money not a problem then do both .

By the way what he dont know about ADR aint worth knowing so if interested ask him a few questions he really wont mind :bulb:

Jennie

Ditto on that Jannie.

Double D is the “Oracle”

hgvlgvtraining:
Jannie

JANNIE :wink: :wink:

Mega Soz Jennie,

slight typo!