CPC Module and practical test

Right, so, this might be common knowledge for some people, but I just can’t get a straight answer on any other forums, so here goes.

I have my HGV provisional licence, I’m now waiting to take my theory and hazard perception, which I am fully prepared for and then I intend on taking my practical, it wasn’t until recently I just discovered this CPC module 4 thing is essential.

Anyway, how does it work once I pass my practical test? Do I get my licence sent out, or do I have to wait until I have passed the CPC module 4 before they issue the licence? Some people say after the practical, you’re licensed to drive whatever it was you passed in, some say you don’t get your licence until you have passed the CPC module, so I’m a bit confused as to how it all works.

Any info on this would be muchly appreciated. Also, does anybody have any experience with the CPC module, as of recently? I was told the whole process has had somewhat of an overhaul done on it, so I’m not sure how it works or what to fully expect. I get that there is ANOTHER theory to do (out of 50 questions - get at least 40 right) and I know there is some kind of practical “show me, tell me” style test, but is that it? It seems like there are so many obstacles involved in getting the class 2 licence!

Cheers!

You’ll get your license as usual, but in order to drive commercially (i.e. for hire or reward), you need to pass CPC modules 2 & 4, and you’ll be issued with a Driver Qualification Card, but you can drive with your Mod 4 pass certificate until you receive it.

Passed my mod 4 on Friday, it’s a piece of ■■■■, really ! Your training provider will do through the drill with you, basically it’s vehicle checks, preventing immigrant and drug trafficing, and load security.

I assume you passed car test after 1997?

There are links to modules 2 and 4 and an explanation of the driver cpc in the link below in my signature

Disappointing that your trainer hasn’t sorted this out. There has been no material change to the MOD 4 since it started in Sept 2008. You should expect around 2 hours training before taking the test to be 99% sure of a pass.

Thanks for the advice people.

The reason I haven’t gone over this with an instructor yet, is because I haven’t started training. Once I have the theory & hazard perception out of the way with, I intend on starting. I figured having to stop mid training to sit a theory test would be inconvenient, as I am taking 20 hours over a 5 day period.

Many thanks people!

I would recommend that you take the case studies Mod2 test after passing the theory tests but before you do the practical training.

In these cases we are often able to arrange both practical tests during the same week. On Monday we had a guy pass both tests on the same day.

It is frustrating to pass the driving test then have to wait for a few weeks while the CPC tests are arranged.

Don’t forget you will need to apply for the digi tacho card as well before you start working.

Endgame:

The reason I haven’t gone over this with an instructor yet, is because I haven’t started training. Once I have the theory & hazard perception out of the way with, I intend on starting. I figured having to stop mid training to sit a theory test would be inconvenient, as I am taking 20 hours over a 5 day period.

Many thanks people!

Many on here have successfully taken and passed all 3 theory modules (1a 1b + 2) on the same day at the theory test centre

some have passed practical module 4 during the same week as their practical module 3 on road training

ROG:

Endgame:

Many thanks people!

Many on here have successfully taken and passed all 3 theory modules (1a 1b + 2) on the same day at the theory test centre

some have passed practical module 4 during the same week as their practical module 3 on road training

I did actually try to get both my theory and hazard perception as close to each other as I possibly could, but I checked test centres as far as 100 miles each direction of my location ,and I managed to find the 13th of March for my hazard perception and the 20th for my multiple choice. One was in Oldham, the other was in Liverpool, so unless I had have booked a few months down the line, I doubt I would have been able to get all 3 for the same day, would have made it a lot easier though!

Anyway, just the CPC modules and the practical to get out the way now!