Cpc module 4 this week!

hey all,

passed my cat c and c + e in the last 6 weeks 1st time. took my cpc mod 2 the other week and passed that. I feel I have had a big learning curve in the last two months which I have enjoyed. Having previously worked as a bus driver then a driving instructor, lgv was an area that was completely new to me, but something which I have enjoyed.

I have managed to get a job with a local transport company that deliver new vehicles around the country buses, coaches and lgv vehicles which I have taken on to give me some valued experience of finding my way around. they have just taken an extra contract of lgv vehicles for me to deliver after I have passed my final part cpc mod 4.

However I am nervous about the module 4, I feel my training company have not offered any guidance at all on this. I have been using the dsa guide to driving goods vehicles and have downloaded the great file from flair training with the questions on. the training company have not mentioned anything, but to just turn up an hour and a half before the test. They told me that they kind of cheat by using a 7.5 tonne sprinter van, and everybody has passed with high marks who they have taken for test. will this mean certain questions will not be able to be asked i.e. load demonstrations etc. I have noticed the question about using the tensioner on the trolley and I dont think they will be showing me any of this.

any advice greatly appreciated

When did you pass car test btw :question:

as if you passed before 1997 you dont have to do initial CPC as you will have grand father rights

Also when you do part of this it also can count towards your bus cpc as well

hi animal,

I passed my car test december 1997 so I unfortunately did not have aquired rights. according to the dsa I need to do a further 35 hrs cpc before 2013 for my pcv licence and this will mean I will not have to do 35hrs for my lgv licence as I can do the cpc for either

jiggacook:
hi animal,

I passed my car test december 1997 so I unfortunately did not have aquired rights. according to the dsa I need to do a further 35 hrs cpc before 2013 for my pcv licence and this will mean I will not have to do 35hrs for my lgv licence as I can do the cpc for either

They can be done as 1 so you only have to do 35 hrs in total not for each you may have grandfather right via buses ( I may be wrong on this someone will correct me if so )

So you dont ned to do initial cpc as they are similar again I will stand corrected on this

Have received this via e mail

They can be done as 1 so you only have to do 35 hrs in total not for each
you may have grandfather right via buses ( I may be wrong on this someone
will correct me if so )

So you dont ned to do initial cpc as they are similar again I will stand
corrected on this

Spot on for the first bit Ange
All the Periodic hours count for both including any already done for his
PCV even though he did them before he passes the LGV initial

Second bit -
The Initial Dcpc must be done for each new catagory so if got PCV then the
initial must be done for LGV

The new catagory gets added to the existing dcpc expiry date so in his case
this will be 09/09/2013 for both LGV & PCV
On passing LGV mod 4 he will get issued with a DQC (driver cpc card) which
will show this

I tried to say this as simple as I can

Using a Sprinter van isn’t any advantage. Take care as you will still be expected to explain checks on air brakes etc although you clearly wont be able to demonstrate them. It’s in no way a “cheat”. Many of the test combinations feature the load demonstration trolley so you must know how to use everything in that.

To turn up half an hour before is pure madness. It takes around 3 hours to teach module 4 effectively.

But best of luck anyway :laughing: :laughing:

Peter Smythe:
Using a Sprinter van isn’t any advantage. Take care as you will still be expected to explain checks on air brakes etc although you clearly wont be able to demonstrate them. It’s in no way a “cheat”. Many of the test combinations feature the load demonstration trolley so you must know how to use everything in that.

To turn up half an hour before is pure madness. It takes around 3 hours to teach module 4 effectively.

But best of luck anyway :laughing: :laughing:

cheers peter,

This was my worry, i am not impressed just turning up 1hr before, I will have to see how it goes and reserve judgement til after the test. I am fairly confident on the stuff I can read about i.e. the brakes etc. However I have no idea when it comes to using the trolley and the correct restraints, as in the use of the i.e. the tensioner bar, or tying a dolly knot. I understand what restraint to use for what item but not the practical use.

I will just see how it goes, they had assured me everyone they had taken has passed with flying colours and were not able to answer some of the questions as some were impossible to demonstrate or pratice in this vehicle.

I will let you know how it went, and if i need to find another company who offer the correct training. it just felt like all they wanted was to get the c and c+e test done really and the cpc was not really worked on which annoyed me as I could of done some parts a lot earlier.

everyone they had taken has passed with flying colours and were not able to answer some of the questions as some were impossible to demonstrate or pratice in this vehicle.

The questions aren’t set to the vehicle presented. If your vehicle hasn’t got the features that the questions refer to, you are expected to explain the answer.

Ref the demonstration trolley; you’re part way there by knowing what restraint suits what load. But you will be required to demonstrate it’s use and removal. Maybe that’s what your trainer plans before the test. It’s cutting it far to fine for my liking but I wish you the best of luck.

Your comment that the trainer was more interested in C and CE than the driver cpc is possibly very true. I’ve trained a number of drivers for Mod 4 who felt that their trainer was unable or unwilling to provide this service.

All the best and good luck. :laughing: :laughing:

I failed my cpc mod 4 :angry: I got 90%, 10 in the 1st category and full marks in all the others.

I was fuming as my training school just quickly showed me how to use the strap. I got the steel plates question and selected the chains and had no idea how to use them. they told me it was self explanatory, it wasn’t to me.

They have given me my next test for free, so I am going to stick with them for the next attempt, otherwise I would of been using somebody else. I hope the get some chains etc. to show me. Is there any videos online showing how to use the chains and ratchet?

many thanks

Jigg, sorry to hear that, this might be of some use

youtube.com/watch?v=OarEL8QC … re=related.

Hi Jiggacook

I am the owner of Flair training. Sorry to hear that you failed the Module 4 today. Dont know if it’s any help to you but we are running a CPC Mod 4 training session in Chelmsford tomorrow (Thursday) at 8am and lasts about 2 hours. You are very welcome to attend and take part (no charge of course).

It is being held in Chelmsford, Essex. I don’t actually know how far that is from you.

Afterwards the 2 other lads are going to Chelmsford test centre to take the test and you could watch that as well.

If you can make it please PM or email me and I will give you the location details.

Hope this helps

Regards

John

Hi John,

Thanks very much for the help and offer, unfortunately I would not be able to make it down. I am in work and also I am based near Liverpool. I am not sure if the company I went with are going to acquire some training tools i.e. chains and trolley etc. If not I will try to look around for somebody I could pay just a couple of hours to show me the chains, straps etc. I have managed to watch a few videos online, however these are obviously not the same as practical experience.

I know my training company should be doing this but they have offered a free retest.

Without the Flair training cpc mod 4 download I am positive I would not have got the full marks I got on the other sections, it was excellent and completely on the ball, so much appreciated.

jiggacook:
Without the Flair training cpc mod 4 download I am positive I would not have got the full marks I got on the other sections, it was excellent and completely on the ball, so much appreciated.

Whereabouts can this download be found? Is it freely available?

This excellent training aid can be found at flairtraining.co.uk/PDF/cpcp … stions.pdf

It’s an absolute disgrace that a so called “trainer” would send someone in for module 4 without the correct training on the proper equipment.

Sadly this is what happens when the primary concern is the cost of training.

Let’s hope newbies learn from this horrible tale and get a bit more savvy with their questions. Otherwise it’s just a rip-off.

Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Mine is next wednesday. then i start my training in the thursday, followed by the actual driving test the following wednesday. can’t wait!

passed :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: my mod 4 today 100%! due to the bad weather the trolley was not out so was not asked any of the load questions and demo etc.

cheers to flair training for the help and info sheet, without it, i would not have passed

Well done on the pass :laughing: :laughing: :smiley: :smiley:

WELL DONE jiggacook on passing your mod 4 :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: