Cpc mod 4 question

Question is:

On this empty vehicle you have been to collect HALF a load of steel plates. I want you to show me by pointing to the correct distribution area on this vehicle where the load should be placed.

Forgive me for this newbie question, but I don’t want to get this wrong. What would the answer for this be for the part load?

depends on the weight of said load, the norm if it is heavy is distributed towards the middle (nearer the front for me personally).

How long are the plates?

Lats say you have a 30 foot bed to load them on and they are 25 feet long and weigh a total of half the possible payload - I would put them up against the headboard

If they were only 4 feet long then putting them against the head board will over load the front axle

My answer to the examiner would be - depends on their size so I can distribute the weight as safely as possible

Yeah there’s no further information with regards to weight and size. It just says a half load of steel plates.

What about a half load of pallets as well? Would you put them up against the head board or would you load them in the middle?

half a load = half the length of the vehicle to me.

but as other have said maybe they want you to ask the questions posted above? if its only a few tonne headboard all day long, if it needs to be distributed to maintain a legal axle weight distribution then slightly forward from the middle for me ( providing it can be secured/restrained correctly).

Thanks. I’ll just tell the examiner those answers then!

Interesting question with lots of variables to affect the answer, ie, rigid, tri axle artic and trailer, whether you are loading further goods too.

Personally with steel plate and assuming nothing else was to be loaded and providing I was happy that I wouldn’t overload my drive axle then it’d be loaded against the headboard. Less chance for disaster that way methinks.

ALL loads go against the headboard if the weight distribution allows it.

Santa:
ALL loads go against the headboard if the weight distribution allows it.

I agree. However the question is a tad ambiguous IMO, does it mean half as in half the permissible max weight, or half as in “it’s 22 tonne of steel plates but it only takes up 20 feet?”

Because this is DCPC Mod 4 it is a show and tell type scenario. The examiner isn’t asking for a single black & white answer - he wants the driver to show he has the ability to judge the situation by telling him how he came to the answer. So his answer would need to be, “Well if it was this I’d do this because of this” or even ask further questions such as “How heavy, what size” etc. He needs to demonstrate that he understands load distribution, axle weights, load securing. In my opinion as long as the driver justifies the answer given - it’ll be OK.

Thanks replies everyone. I’ve just been and passed my module 4 practical and out of the possible loading vehicle questions I got the one I didn’t want…the one with the steel sheets!

But basically I said what someone replied on here, I said I’d load from front to back but I’d be aware of overloading the front axel in which case I’d shift the load to distribute it more evenly. with that I scored full marks for that question.

Thanks for you help.

congrats glad some of what I learned over the years is still classed as acceptable.

or could have said `is the load for a uk or irish truck…then give your answer as you did for a uk truck…but if its irish,say you also have to make room for the 20 tons of hanging beef…ha ha

has the CPC changed? when i did mine it was an attendance course and although he asked us questions we didnt have to do an exam,in fact the last 2 moduals we did were the same,they messed up thinking that we had not done it before but it all counted to 35hrs training and we all got our CPC cards

rangechange59:
has the CPC changed? when i did mine it was an attendance course and although he asked us questions we didnt have to do an exam,in fact the last 2 moduals we did were the same,they messed up thinking that we had not done it before but it all counted to 35hrs training and we all got our CPC cards

This thread is about the initial dcpc tests modules 2 and 4
You are referring to the periodic dcpc of 35 hours