CPC Howlers (again)

good_friend:
You’re right and he’s an idiot
A knot will weaken or be a weak spot but not a twist

There are also bad habits that have been ingrained into the minds of many drivers and are passed on to others. Take for example the widely held belief that a strap that’s twisted once atop the cargo it’s meant to secure experiences less vibration and therefore provides greater securement.

“There’s no truth to that at all,” says Allan Boomer, sales team leader for Kinedyne in Canada. “Straps are tested for tensile strength using a straight pull. When you twist a strap it’s not a straight pull anymore, so you’ve compromised the overall integrity of the strap. A lot of guys do that because of the vibration, but if they add one more click to the winch to tighten the strap a little more, the vibration goes away.”

syramax:
Been on a cpc course today, as I understand it 3.5t van no tacho required. 3.5t van with a trailer attached, tacho needed.apparently it is now law that a 3.5t van with a hitch fitted (but no trailer)requires a tacho to be fitted and used ■■?anyone able to verify this ■■

Myth.

The vehicle only requires a tacho if it is used with a trailer that brings it within scope. Merely having a towing hitch fitted doesn’t bring it within scope - towing a trailer does.

jakethesnake:

good_friend:
You’re right and he’s an idiot
A knot will weaken or be a weak spot but not a twist

There are also bad habits that have been ingrained into the minds of many drivers and are passed on to others. Take for example the widely held belief that a strap that’s twisted once atop the cargo it’s meant to secure experiences less vibration and therefore provides greater securement.

“There’s no truth to that at all,” says Allan Boomer, sales team leader for Kinedyne in Canada. “Straps are tested for tensile strength using a straight pull. When you twist a strap it’s not a straight pull anymore, so you’ve compromised the overall integrity of the strap. A lot of guys do that because of the vibration, but if they add one more click to the winch to tighten the strap a little more, the vibration goes away.”

In the same way that a guitar string stops vibrating if you tighten it a little more?

Sent from my SM-G361F using Tapatalk

syramax:
Been on a cpc course today, as I understand it 3.5t van no tacho required. 3.5t van with a trailer attached, tacho needed.apparently it is now law that a 3.5t van with a hitch fitted (but no trailer)requires a tacho to be fitted and used ■■?anyone able to verify this ■■

That’s complete nonsense. What are they teaching people?! :open_mouth:

There is also the possibility people on the course are picking things up incorrectly. It certainly happened on one of my courses and of course drivers never tell tales so I hear. :laughing:

There seems to be a certain hatred towards DCPC Instructors but most seem to forget they are or have been lorry drivers themselves. :wink:

jakethesnake:
There is also the possibility people on the course are picking things up incorrectly. It certainly happened on one of my courses and of course drivers never tell tales so I hear. :laughing:

There seems to be a certain hatred towards DCPC Instructors but most seem to forget they are or have been lorry drivers themselves. :wink:

Could the hatred be because when you pay someone to train you at the very least they should no what they are doing. We had one earlier in this thread saying another instructor needed naming and shaming for giving the wrong information and that they was an idiot, it then appears they was correct but the instructor on here has never come back naming themselves so everyone knows to stay away

Roymondo:
CPC training today. Trainer has already told us in all seriousness that DVSA will fine £x per turn of the landing legs handle, and now states quite emphatically that our digicards hold 28 days worth of data, with day 1 data being overwritten and no longer visible as soon as the card is inserted on day 29…

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

I’d have liked to see his confusion if youd asked whether it was a turn on high or low range.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

jakethesnake:

Go into any waiting room and ask yourself if you’d want to be taught by anybody in there.

Putting a twist in a strap does weaken it.

Try pulling a sheet of at apart from the middle, you won’t do it, pull it apart from the edge and you will. A 2m strap with a twist is 2m at the middle, both outer edges are slightly more due to the half a circle it’s covered too, do you end up with high tension on the outsides and a lower 1 in the middle, that not how they’re designed to work, DCPC dude is right

stevieboy308:

Try pulling a sheet of at apart from the middle, you won’t do it, pull it apart from the edge and you will. A 2m strap with a twist is 2m at the middle, both outer edges are slightly more due to the half a circle it’s covered too, do you end up with high tension on the outsides and a lower 1 in the middle, that not how they’re designed to work, DCPC dude is right

Thanks for the confirmation stevie, of course it does.

mac12:

jakethesnake:

Could the hatred be because when you pay someone to train you at the very least they should no what they are doing. We had one earlier in this thread saying another instructor needed naming and shaming for giving the wrong information and that they was an idiot, it then appears they was correct but the instructor on here has never come back naming themselves so everyone knows to stay away

I agree but if you think about it it’s not the so called instructors fault. It’s the fault of the authorities that let these idiots in. A bit like they hand out drving licenses but it does not mean they can drive properly. :wink:

steve4545:

idrive:
Got told last week by a trainer that if you run out of hours, you can drop your trailer and drive the unit home set to out of scope??

Would that work with a rigid?

There again, if the rigid has a demount body…

:grimacing:

good_friend:

mac12:
Could that be true? I haven’t driven for over 5 years but I’m sure I used to drive one on agency that if you didn’t put it on break I think it showed you working when you put your card in

No darling, it’s not true

plus the newer tachos will give you infringements aplenty if you do this. Somewhere in the docs on the web (not sure exactly where but someone will know) it says something like ‘you cannot finish your shift on a break’ or similar words to that

Not sure whether the older tachos might have let you get away with it but the new ones won’t

erm, aren’t you working when you put your card in anyway??

Erm what if taking your card out the wagon is the last thing you do darling?

Sent from my moto e5 plus using Tapatalk

jakethesnake:

stevieboy308:

[/quote]
This from page 116 of the Spanset Load Control Guide :-

– Use only lashing equipment that is not
twisted when tensioning

It does not specifically explain why but then they are one of the biggest load control / safety harness people around.

spanset.com/uploads/au/Span … hapter.pdf

BUT…

Another manufacturer say this :-

Applying twists to your lashings
Another benefactor influencing the strength of the lashing is the number of twists in a lashing. In this particular case there were 5 twists per lashing over a length of 60cm (2ft). These twists resulted in a loss of over 500daN.

Often people like to apply one twist in the woven lashing to prevent flapping/rattling during transport. One twist in a longer length lashing does not have negative consequences on the strength.

cargorestraintsystems.com.au/wh … g-webbing/

They are both ozzie firms so might have got it all upside down :laughing:

manski:

jakethesnake:

stevieboy308:

This from page 116 of the Spanset Load Control Guide :-

– Use only lashing equipment that is not
twisted when tensioning

It does not specifically explain why but then they are one of the biggest load control / safety harness people around.

spanset.com/uploads/au/Span … hapter.pdf

BUT…

Another manufacturer say this :-

Applying twists to your lashings
Another benefactor influencing the strength of the lashing is the number of twists in a lashing. In this particular case there were 5 twists per lashing over a length of 60cm (2ft). These twists resulted in a loss of over 500daN.

Often people like to apply one twist in the woven lashing to prevent flapping/rattling during transport. One twist in a longer length lashing does not have negative consequences on the strength.

cargorestraintsystems.com.au/wh … g-webbing/

They are both ozzie firms so might have got it all upside down :laughing:
[/quote]
:laughing:

It would still be a question what exactly is meant by “a longer length lashing” and “the strength”.

I assume the point at which twisting becomes a problem is when it alters the relation of the weave beyond what it is designed to accommodate within the rated strength.

A twirl in a flat strap leads to the outer edges taking a longer path between two points than the middle area of the strap, and the more twirls (and the tighter the twirl) the larger the discrepancy becomes.

It’s like how banisters on a spiral staircase have an outer bannister far longer in length than the inner bannister, to cover the same vertical distance. If the bannisters were made of rope of equal lengths and a load applied at their ends at the foot of the staircase, the inner rope would be totally flaccid while the outer rope would be taut (and carrying all the load).

My mate was told saturday someone hired a football stadium and did 12000 drivers in one hit

d4c24a:
My mate was told saturday someone hired a football stadium and did 12000 drivers in one hit

If it was my local club it would have been the biggest crowd of the year &, if my last visit was anything to go by, a darn sight more entertaining. :open_mouth: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: